Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Funtana S90 build quality????

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Hangar 9 Funtana S90 build quality????

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 02:15 AM
seagul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 Funtana S90 build quality????

My gut feeling after the fatal flight of my almost brand new funtana 90.... the flutter on the right which caused the crash on mine is due to the suspect build quality on the airplane. I always thought it was a little too fragile and did beef it up in certain areas but yesterday had extreme flutter on the right wing before i lost complete control. Any ideas or similar experiences. P.S. wasn't in any high g manoeuver the aircraft was flying beautifully before the flutter.[:@]
Old 11-18-2007, 02:30 AM
alan0899

Default RE: Hangar 9 Funtana S90 build quality????

G'day Mate,
I'm willing to bet, that you were flying too fast, the Funtana is a 3D plane, & is designed to fly slowly, if you over pitch the prop, &/or fly it at full throttle, the control surfaces will flutter.
It's the nature of the beast.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:18 AM
gsmarino2000
My Feedback: (2)

Seagul,

When the original Funtana 90 first came out, they had some issues with insufficient glue in certain areas of the wing. Could cause the aileron servo to come loose, resulting in flutter even at moderate speeds. This often caused structural failure in the wing and brought the plane down. Seems that they fixed this problem farily quickly after the plane was introduced. We have a couple of people flying more recent versions fairly agressively with no problems (one even has a Saito 180 in it). Could you have an old kit?

If you think the flutter was structural failure due to build quality, call Horizon. They will probably have you ship the failed wing back to them for examination. If they find it was defective, they may replace the kit for you. That is what they did for one of my flying buddies.

Greg

Old 11-19-2007, 09:54 AM
vmsguy

Is that the yellow one??? A guy at my field has one. He likes it, but one comment was made that I'll pass along.

"All Funtana's are a little weak in the fuse near the tail." Take it for what it's worth... I have no comment/experience to confirm or deny it.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:59 AM
seagul

Thanks for the inputs but wasn't flyin it fast at all in fact. will follow greg advice and take it up horizon mine was bought just after they launched, just made it recently and started flying.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:01 AM
seagul

yeah it was the yellow one just that this time it was the wing servo mount from what i can tell that broke in flight andcaused the wing to flutter pretty violently..
Old 11-19-2007, 09:21 PM
Railinrob

the sevo didnt strip out and cause the flutter did it ? a servo that isnt strong enough will do the same thing along with too much airspeed
Old 11-20-2007, 07:16 AM
seagul

yeah i think the servo mount broke off so any body flyin those things check your wing servo mounts unless u lookin to buy new models never happened to me before. there's always a first time. she flew well while she flew.....
Old 11-20-2007, 11:10 PM
Railinrob

yeah I LOVED my funtana 90 it flew great till a blender dislodged the battery.I watched it go it inverted wide open into the ground .If you can get the new funtana x100 go for it it is a much better flying plane
Old 11-21-2007, 11:23 PM
vmsguy

A guy at my airfield has a 100. (Different from the guy with the 90)

He didn't like it, and was getting frustrated with it. He checked the CG, and he had it WAY too far back. He moved his receiver battery and receiver forward until the CG was right, and he says it's like a totally different plane. He put the wing tips on, and it will do a knife edge in your sleep....