Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Piper Cub crash

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Piper Cub crash

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 01:35 PM
hame1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piper Cub crash

I was coming in for a landing and I misjudged how far out I was and crashed right into a tree. I'm not sure where to start rebuilding and how. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Can I rebuild the right side tail and glue it on good enough? or do I need to take the whole tail off and rebuild? I'm not sure how to go about it without some direction. Should I just try to cut some clean edges on the wing and rebiuld that?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65622.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	810703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30300.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	810704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92647.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	810705   Click image for larger version

Name:	At54484.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	810706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb37842.jpg
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	810707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gw29666.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	810708  
Old 11-24-2007, 02:15 PM
randomhero86
Banned

Default RE: Piper Cub crash

well. first off i thin you will be fine just rebuilding the one half. but heres what i need to know. did you get all those little pieces? if not this will be much much harder than it could of been. always remember to get the little peices. lol but go get some stick balsa the size used on the tail. cut new parts. get the basic frame buit then do a little extra suport in the middle. then for the wing go get a peice of leading edge balsa that fits your plane. i would run sticks of balsa under the sheeting thats still there to help form the new sheeting. get new sheeting. cut out a clean area to resheet the wing. glue it all in sand it down and recover.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:29 PM
casniffer
My Feedback: (1)

hame1,
I did the same thing with a Cub two years ago in July. I cut the stab out of the plane and rebuilt it. My Cub had a sheet balsa empennage, so it was easier to make another one by using the original as a template. I would take the covering off the most of the damaged side of the wing to check the spar. Even though the visible damage on my Cub was limited to an outboard section of the wing, the spar was damaged inboard and had to be repaired.
CAsniffer
Old 11-25-2007, 01:40 PM
hame1

Thanks for all of the input, and any more is welcome. the more the better. Can I order pre cut balsa and basswood parts from Great Planes or do I have to fabricate the parts myself? The basswood wing struts, wing tip parts and wing ribs etc...