Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Stryker Help!

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Stryker Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 09:34 PM
Freedomsport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stryker Help!

I took my Stryker for a fly yesterday and drilled it in the worst possible way. Nose first.

The brushless motor mount came away taking a big square of the fuselage with it. It looks like I can just glue it back in using epoxy. I was going to use some bamboo skewers to add some support.

Has anyone managed a similar repair? Do you think this will work?

Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks
Old 12-31-2007, 10:35 PM
RCPtero

Default RE: Stryker Help!

I snapped mine in half right at the front of the hatch. I epoxied it back together. I don't think I added skewers, I just pinned it until the glue set. Been flying just fine ever since. If you can fit it back together such that the crack is barely visible, then you should be okay with epoxying it. The bamboo skewers might add some insurance though.

-
Tom
Old 01-01-2008, 11:58 AM
chrisp32

my buddy crashes like that with that plane all the time if you glue it all bck together straight and then cover it with a single layer of tuct tape ( red technical tape ) over the whole plane it will look a little goofy but will be very hard to break again but yes that repair can be made just watch and make sure that you get the angle right on when you glue the motor back in.

chris
Old 01-01-2008, 12:25 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Would tooth picks work? They are lighter than bamboo.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:19 PM
aktiondan

I did the exact same thing, nose first, and the whole motor mount and fuse came with it. I managed to glue it back in place with medium CA. I added two 0.047 x 2" long steel rods (pushrod material) to help reinforce it. The only issue I had was even though it was glued exactly in the same place it broke, the foam actually bent upwards quite a bit before it broke. So the motor is pointed up more than it's supposed to be, but glued inline with the fuse, and makes the thing just climb like crazy and needed a ton of down elevon to correct it. Looking back, I should just buy a new fuselage, it's only $17 and chances are even if you do fix it, it may never fly the same again. I was flying inverted really low, and cam out rolling to the side and to correct I just threw the stick the wrong way. I was pretty bummed. It was only my 10th or so flight too.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Chewman

I did the same thing! Instead of bamboo skewers I added carbon fiber rods under the motor mount up into the main body of the frame. I used a moto tool to recess the rods into the foam and used ca adhesive to glue them in. This has made the engine mount very rigid.
Good luck!