Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

OS 70 Surpass - Crankcase, Repair or New?

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

OS 70 Surpass - Crankcase, Repair or New?

Old 01-01-2008, 09:57 AM
guitardude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 70 Surpass - Crankcase, Repair or New?

I had a Phoenix Models Giles that went through a tree...long story.... anyway, believe it or not I didn't break the prop but managed to bend both the pushrod tubes and pushrods. That wasn't too bad until I noticed after I got the new pushrod tubes and pushrods that one of the crankcase housing has cracked where the pushrod tube goes into the crankcase, and unfortunately I don't have the peice that broke off. Tower wants about $60 for the crankcase....a little pricey I think.

However, it seems to me that there used to be a place that could repair that kind of damage to crank cases and carburator housings. Does anyone know a company that would do this?

Any suggestions and information are greatly apprecaited.

Thanks!
Old 01-01-2008, 11:17 AM
rxAxilleas

Default RE: OS 70 Surpass - Crankcase, Repair or New?

hi
i think if you try to repair it it might cost you a lot. try to find a used engine from ebay. that way you will have more spare parts. if you are lucky you could find an engine with other problems but with good cranckcase really cheap.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:20 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You might be able to repair that broken area with some J-B Weld.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, the JB weld is some good repair stuff. Just make sure there is no oil on the case. I tear them down then soak the case in acetone then make the repair if I can.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Don Pruitt
My Feedback: (1)

Guitardude,

Here is another option. [link]http://www.durafix.com/[/link] Check out the video. I haven't tried it yet but I am going to order some just to keep in the shop.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:49 PM
guitardude

Don, Thanks a bunch for the link that looks like pretty amazing stuff. it appears you get quite a few rods for the price. That's cheaper than the crankcase!

Thanks again, gotta go E-mail that link to my buddies!
Old 01-07-2008, 09:23 AM
guitardude

Hi guys, Don, thanks again for the link to Durafix, got a hold of them and they let me order a 1/2 pound kit of Durafix for $22.00 shipped to my door. I'll try to remeber to post some before and after pictures of the repair. I actually sent the guy at Durafix an E-mail with a couple of pictures of the crank case, he said it should be no problem at all to repair the crankcase with Durafix. I guess I'll find out. I also found out that he had been to our Robin Blythe Fly In a couple of years ago. Really nice guy, full of information and tips.

Thanks again!