Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Inflight Structure Failure

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Inflight Structure Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 04:31 PM
RCfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inflight Structure Failure

I admint, this was pilot error. The instructions for my MAYHEM 40 said not to do screaming dives under full power...or something like that. Any way, when pulling out of said dive, I quickly lost my right horizontal stab and elevator. It sheared right next to the fuselage. Landing was uneventful as I still had elevator contol. My question is, what is the best way to fix this? please see attached photos.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45873.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	844044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51209.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	844045  
Old 01-06-2008, 05:43 PM
TRCX

Default RE: Inflight Structure Failure

two holes into the fuzz where it broke off and align them with holes in the stab. insert a carbon dowl into each hole and epozy (sand the carbon dowl twith rough grit sand paper so that epoxy can grip onto some thing. watch out for CF dust thou) (or u can just make a new stab and cut out the old one?) i made a little diagram ( the thick black line is the CF rod) i sugesst u triangulate the joint to add to the strength (But try and keep it light).

hope this helps or works maby someone can comment on this

only prob is how do i add pics?
Old 01-06-2008, 05:46 PM
gosk8ing

Same thing happened on my EP Extra 300S. After the hori-stab broke off, it flew as if the hori-stab was still there. I was so surprised. I thought it would at least have some roll tendencies and be less stable.
Anyway, for the repair. I would cut the rudder hinges and remove the rudder. Then carefully remove the horis-stab with a hobby knife. Take all the covering of the hori-stab, then it's up to you if you want to repair the original structure or make a new hori-stab and elevator.
I would personally build a new hori-stab and elevator since it snapped at the root, where the forces are the greatest.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:55 PM
TRCX

agreed!
do what gosk8ting said.
as for loosing parts of planes and still being able to fly. there have been planes which have lost a wing while performing a manuvure and still landed. its because 3D planes have such big control surfaces.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:34 PM
RCfan

After reading your replies, replacing the stab and elevator is really the only way to go, more work, but a much better solution.

Thanks for your help

Ben
Old 01-06-2008, 09:34 PM
fozjared

glue it back on with the carbon rod idea and wood glue, then make cable struts i guess you call them and fasten the horizontal and vertical stabs together and then fasten the horizontal stab to the fuse underneath..
Old 01-06-2008, 10:57 PM
cutaway

Make another, sheet with 1/32" balsa and cover it with silk/dope.

Alternatively, if you want to keep the open stick structure look, add 1/2" wide 1/64" plywood doublers on the top/bottom at the LE/TE that are about 6" long to avoid a concentrated stress point.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:29 AM
andernamen
My Feedback: (3)

I made nearly the exact same repair on my Kaos. I drilled holes and used bamboo skewers and epoxy to keep the two halves together. Held together great.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:08 PM
waydown2low

Keep the throttle back, its a 3-d machine. I have fixed several 3-d planes with the same type of break. take the covering off the stab around the broke pieces and align best as possible and tack glue with with very small amount of thin CA. Gently tweak the surface until satisfied with alignment. When happy wick thin ca into crack and allow to dry naturally ( no kicker ) if you still have gaps fill with thick ca and sand smooth once dry. Recover the area however you like and fly the snot out of it. The ca is stronger than the wood around it, so it will probably break somewhere different next time. There is no reason to go overboard reenforcing the stap on a forty size plane it will be strong enough, should last till it meets its maker!