Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Incredible how lucky I was!!

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Incredible how lucky I was!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 04:52 PM
Flyby-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Incredible how lucky I was!!

Coming to the field yesterday I put my gear together, checking range and all the usual stuff and finally checking my voltspy. Everything is in the green so I go for it. Not as much as a puff of wind and a clear blue sky makes it a really nice fligt.

About ten minutes into the flight I`m going high and fast with the plane traveling towards me and as I throttle down nothing happens. Actually nothing happens at all and this nasty feeling of no control hits me like a ton of bricks. As the plane is directly above me the RPM slowly drops and the nose goes up a bit as if I have some control. A split second later I have no control and it settles into as a series of loops at 1/3 throttle coming lower after each loop. At the end of loop # four it hits the ground wings level at a slightly nose low attitude, the prop hits the grass and after about a 10 ft. rollout it noses over and settles upside down.

For a while I just stand there trying to figure out if this actually happened and a few of the other guys go like "jeeezzz, never saw anything like it before, what a stroke of luck"

Checking out the plane I find nothing bent or broken except for one propblade. Turned out the receiverbattery shorted for some reason, I really don`t know why. I guess it`s just one of those freaky things that happens. Anyway, a new prop and a new battery and it was up and flying again ten minutes later.

Flyby
Old 04-23-2003, 04:57 PM
im_a_rcav8r

Hey can you send some of that luck my way?
Old 04-23-2003, 05:00 PM
Flyby-RCU

I take it you weren`t as lucky!!
Flyby
Old 04-24-2003, 04:14 AM
im_a_rcav8r

Not quite so lucky. Mine was something like this....

I had a Javelin. It was only the 2nd or 3rd flight. I was working on getting the CG as far aft as I could without the plane getting too hard to handle. I took off, she was a tad tail heavy, but nothing I could not handle. I tried some slow flight 2 thumbs high. No problem. So I pushed the power up. 100% and she was off like a rocket ship... Started to turn a nice left hand bank, nice and stable. This is where it gets interesting. I pushed the stick over to role into a right hand Bank. Nothing. I had lost the radio. She turned a descending 360, then another just a bit tighter, then the left wing just touched the limb of a tree. This put her just about strait down... Remember the 100% power... Yup still going strong. I think she was going about 80 to 100 MPH when she hit the ground.

The funny thing is when I walked over to the wreckage, the servos responded to my input. I still to this day do not know why the thing stopped responding...

Damage report:
Wing - I don't thing I found all the parts
Fuse - Sold now at your local store under the name tooth picks
Servos- 3 of 4 stripped
radio - the plastic housing shattered. However it still worked, the crystal survived!
Engine - Broke the crank case
Fuel tank - Popped
reusable parts - tail wheel, main gear wheels. Oh, and the Troll doll under the canopy
Old 04-24-2003, 07:11 AM
Flyby-RCU

Ouch, that did not sound good at all. Sorry for your loss.

It`s a rather sickening feeling when you realize that you have no control at all and just watch your pride and joy being destroyed.

Hope you will be up and flying again soon!!

Flyby
Old 04-24-2003, 09:39 PM
im_a_rcav8r

Oh I am in the air! I have 4 more to expire before I'm out of luck... I am working on a SPAD now. I hope to have it up some time next week!