Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Balsa cutting methods

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Balsa cutting methods

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 10:05 AM
N1061D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balsa cutting methods

My time has come.....crash...repair...whats the best tool/method for cutting sheet balsa...1/16....I have a dremmel tool...any tips will be appreciated.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:16 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Balsa cutting methods

Use a new (like brand new never used) exacto blade and a metal ruler (yard stick or longer).

Mark what you wish to cut on the balsa with a marker so that it does not push in as a ball point pen or a pencil would, then use the ruler to cut against making several passes with very little penetration each cut. It will simply fall away when it is cut through straigt.

This is for straight line cuts.

For anything with an curve, cut out the template and use that against the basa much in the same way as above. Cut slightly larger than needed then carefully sand the edges to meet your template lines that you drew.

I'm sure that there are many different methods, but this works for me.

CGr.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Dr1Driver

#11 blade in a #1 handle. Change blades often, they're cheap.

Dr.1
Old 03-10-2008, 02:07 PM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

One thing I do with xacto blades to try to get a bit more use from "Brand New Sharp" blades....

When I do Monokote, I tend to use up blades really fast, as they have to be super super sharp to cut the covering smoothly. When they start to get too dull for that, I set them aside rather then chuck them. I find that the blades that have become too dull for Monokote are still quite sharp enough for balsa, at least for a while. So when I need a fresh blade for cutting wood, I grab one of the discards from covering. Once its too dull for that, then it goes in the trash.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:17 AM
Dr1Driver

#11 blades are about $15 for 100, why bother trying to save them? You're ARE right, Monokote, Ultracote, etc., are VERY abrasive and will dull a blade quickly. I typically use 10 blades doing an average covering job.

Dull blades cause accidents because you have to use more pressure to make the cut. They don't cut as cleanly, either.

Dr.1
Old 03-11-2008, 07:42 AM
N1061D

I stopped by the LHS on my way home and picked up the balsa I needed.....1/16x3" x 36"....the guy told me the same thing...new blade etc....I made a template of the rib ...layed it out and cut it .......went fine....sanded to to fit......CA in to place........time to cover the hole....
Old 03-11-2008, 06:23 PM
rabraaten

I've been using surgical steel scalpel blades myself...had a disection kit from when I was in highschool.... Blades seem cheap enough. About 30 cents a piece. They seem to be a bit more robust than the average hobby blade. I'll be covering a wing fairly soon so I'll see how long the sharpness lasts on ultracoat. Anyone else tried them?
Old 03-14-2008, 05:30 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Where is the best place to buy scapel blades? I just bought a new balsa stripper from Hobby Lobby International and it uses a #11 scapel blade. I have a master airscew stripper and its find for one off strips but if I want to stip a bunch the Hobby lobby stripper is better. I have a block plane on order from the same manufaacturer I just wish their building board kit was available in the USA.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:57 PM
rabraaten

The place I buy them from down the street is a surgical/vetrinary supply store.... Once you wade past all of the bridles and such they have a very good selection of blades. Most of the numbers cross over between, #11 is about the same shape whether its surgical or hobby. There are at least ten different profiles that I saw on the back of the box when I was picking mine out.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:36 PM
dinoracer
My Feedback: (2)

Trees are great at cutting balsa................................. just not that accurate!!! sorry couldnt resist since this is in the crash section hehehe
Old 03-26-2008, 04:05 AM
mikenlapaz

No local hobby shop with xacto blades but the local medical supplier does have surgical blades.