Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Two stroke –vs- four stroke crash survivability

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Two stroke –vs- four stroke crash survivability

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 02:15 AM
Baitshack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two stroke –vs- four stroke crash survivability

I’ve been in the hobby for a couple of years and only fly 2 stroke engines. I’ve been thinking about buying a 4 stroke but don’t know much about how they fare in a crash. I fly ugly indestructible type planes and like everyone else, tend to crash every now and then.

Do 4 stroke engines sustain more damage than their 2 stroke brothers (resulting in higher repair costs)?
Old 04-28-2003, 11:06 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I havent ever crashed a 4 stroke but have crashed a few 2 stroke powered planes. Some have been very hard with broken exhaust and the like, but they all still run fine. I would think there is more chance of damaging a 4 stroke purely because they are more complex and there is more stuff to break. Exposed pushrod tubes come to mind. But hey don't let that stop you. If we worried about these things our planes would never leave the ground
Old 04-28-2003, 12:13 PM
rcflyertim

You have to realize that a 4S has more moving parts. Therefore, the chances of more "pieces" needing to be replaced in a bad crash is increased. I have both, and can tell you from experience that yes....that it is relative to the type of engine you are using. IF you are using a vintage 2S the parts are going to be high due to the limit amout of avaliable replacement parts or vendors.
Chances are, after your first several planes and many hours of stick time, your risk will be way donw and most guys who have 4S are seasoned pilots and have very few crashes.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:17 AM
rc_boy_12
My Feedback: (2)

i say there even crashed a em both.. cracked muffler port on 4 stroke, had to get new head