Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Mid-air collision results

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Mid-air collision results

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 02:19 AM
Build-n-flyer-RCU
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mid-air collision results

I found out today that mid-air collisions really can happen! Unfortunately I was at the stick of one of the planes.

A buddy and I had a head-on this afternoon. He was flying a big IMAC bird and I was flying my 4*40. Neither of us saw it coming.

Here is a pic of what we were able to pick up. We are hoping that the motors and radios are recoverable...

Old 04-28-2003, 03:10 AM
JGFAN4EVER1
My Feedback: (5)

what kinda plane is the Imac one? Just wondering
Old 04-28-2003, 09:32 AM
Build-n-flyer-RCU

His plane was a nicely-built Stodeker (not sure how to spell it). He just put it in the air for the first time this year to begin practicing for upcoming events.

At the time I was flying straight and level a good way out and I think he said he was pulling out of a stall turn. I didn't see him until the impact and he says the same. The planes met head on and both just exploded on impact. It will be a while before I will be able to get the picture out of my head.

I lost the carb on my 46FX. I found all the radio gear but haven't had a chance to check it out. However I should be able to toss together another plane relatively cheaply. My buddy lost some big $$ even if the motor and most of the hardware turn out OK.

By the way this was my first crash since starting to fly R/C last summer. Everyone at the club has been impressed by my ability to stay out of trouble (my trainer is still in perfect condition). But it looks like the odds finally won out...
Old 04-29-2003, 10:19 PM
cabanestrut2002

Staudacher
Old 04-29-2003, 11:56 PM
tonyL1
My Feedback: (1)

Looks like the fus of the four star 40 held up pretty well. The front end barely looks damaged , and even the prop is intact.
So sorry for you and your buddy's loss though, hope you both can save as much as possible, gear wise!!
Old 04-30-2003, 12:04 AM
Steve Guinn

Man, that is depressing. I am sorry for you guys.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:09 AM
M20S_Pilot_Tom

That looks like a whole squadron in the back of the truck, bummer. Whats the plane in your avatar?

Tom
Old 04-30-2003, 01:01 AM
Build-n-flyer-RCU

Let's see, responses-

First thanks for the spelling. It just didn't seem right to ask after the crash. His Staudacher was scratch built from plans by the "builder" of our club. It was a really nice flyer. The motor looks OK but is on the way back to the manufacturer just to make sure. The radio gear seems fine except for three of the servos. We are going to build an exact replacement.

My 4 star fuselage looks intact, but there are multiple cracks and breaks all down its length. At least all the radio gear seems fine. As easy as it is to build this plane its not really worth salvaging the fuse. And we never did find half of my wing and I think his 26" prop turned it into 1/4" chunks. But my "flying gophers" made it and I plan to build "Go-pher It 2!" later this summer (after I finish up the 60-size 300S that I now have on the bench).

Here's something to think about: My 46FX was ripped from the plane by the impact. The spinner was shattered, the carb broken off, and the front fins on the cylinder are broken and packed full of balsa. How in the world did the prop survive?

The plane in the avitar is a Nobler. Its the plane that I've been flying most of the time these days. I just happened to put the 4-star in the air to work on some new tricks. I'm glad the Nobler wasn't in the crash 'cause it was a whole lot harder to build!

I have pics in my gallery if you want to take a look at the 4* before the crash or check out my Nobler.

Thanks guys for your thoughts- they do help ease the pain!
Old 04-30-2003, 02:52 AM
M20S_Pilot_Tom

I thought it was a Nobler. Here is my custom 60 size Nobler built by a club member. I have owned it for approx 10 years now and its one of my favorite airplanes . Next to it is the remains of a 15 size which I built. The 60 is powered by a Rossi 60 with a pipe it really screams. Right now I need to replace the bearings in the Rossi. The airplane also has tricycle retracts and stunt flaps and removable wings. Did you build your Nobler from plans or is it the TopFlite kit?

Regards, Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	74668_31883.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	44574  
Old 04-30-2003, 10:03 AM
Build-n-flyer-RCU

I built the R/C Nobler that I am flying now from the new Top Flite kit. It was a bunch of work to build for a small sport plane, but it is really fun to fly. Its powered by a 46FX and has flaps but no retracts. Fast and smooth with very precise control response. There is just something about the Nobler wing design that works! I really am very glad it was my 4* that took the hit and not the Nobler.

I used to fly C/L Noblers back in the 70's and still have one lying around. It was interesting to see that the wing on the new T-F kit is almost identical in design, size and shape to the original C/L wing (except for the ailerons).

Thanks for the pic of your birds. After flying mine some of the guys in the club have been talking about trying to scale the Nobler up into a 60 or maybe even a 120 size plane. Yours is the first "bigger" one that I've seen. How are the wings joined on yours- since there is only one wing shown in the pic...

By the way, does anyone out there have a spare 46FX carb they are willing to sell cheap? OS doesn't just give them away and I need a replacement for the one I lost.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:25 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Tower has replacement parts for most OS engines.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCA24&P=C

As you say, they don't give them away either.
Old 04-30-2003, 05:13 PM
M20S_Pilot_Tom

A pic is worth 1K words

Name:	74763_31883.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	44575  
Old 04-30-2003, 05:15 PM
M20S_Pilot_Tom

Another

Name:	74764_31883.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	44576  
Old 05-01-2003, 12:18 AM
Dago Red
My Feedback: (11)

Crap, i know how you feel, 2 years ago, i was up with a friend, he had a lazy bee,me , a winter special. He did a loop, and came right down in front of my plane, 3/4 of the rudder was gone, 1/3 of the wing was gone, he managed to bring it back, no damage to my plane cept for a dent in the leading edge.

well, last sunday, my superstar had a brand new chrome and pink coverjob. my friend had a Kyosho P-40. I made a pass down he runway and turned away, he was turning twords the runway, we slamed full throttle. i took his wing off, his plane swung around, cutting my wing up, then taking my tail off, swung back around going through my other wing and separated from my plane. Both planes a total lose, his engine took damage and a servo was busted from my prop. my plane only took damage from his plane and the hit to the ground. his was in some what better shape, yet was a total lose,
but real sorry to see your lose, much greater. sorry.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:53 PM
RC Havoc
My Feedback: (-1)

A
Old 05-02-2003, 09:54 PM
RC Havoc
My Feedback: (-1)

A MOMENT OF SILENCE PLEASE............................................ .................................................. .....................Thank you. Let me go wipe my tears. Im sorry to hear about your loss. Beautiful bird
Old 05-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Build-n-flyer-RCU

Our club has a fly-in today and I plan to fly for the first time since the crash. Sort of like "getting back on the horse that threw you" and I am actually a little nervous.

Nobody has suggested yet how the prop survived. Here is a close up of the motor. I would guess that it took a mighty hard hit to actually break and bend the cooling fins.
Old 05-03-2003, 09:47 AM
Build-n-flyer-RCU

Oops, didn't get the pic attached properly...

Old 05-03-2003, 11:28 AM
jwoolridge

Looks to me like a tree saved the prop for you but if I'm right that same tree might have cost you the engine by bending the cylinder sleeve. Let us know what happened.
Old 05-07-2003, 03:52 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

sorry for your loss....are you guys still friends

dennis
Old 05-07-2003, 08:31 PM
DBCherry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nobody has suggested yet how the prop survived.
You'll probably never find out.

I lost orientation once. Put a 40 size sport plane in through some big, thick ol' trees.

When I retieved it, the only damage to the wing was a small dent in one leading edge. The vertical and horizontal stabs on the other hand, were stripped completely off the fuse.

Can anyone tell me how THAT happened?!
Dennis-
Old 05-07-2003, 09:42 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU

Maybe a branch clipped your rudder and the stabilizer pulled off of the plane with it?

As for my prop, the best theory I've heard so far is that my small prop could have flown through his big prop. Then the big prop hit the motor breaking off the carb, damaging the front fins and knocking the motor free of the plane. But this doesn't account for the shattered spinner. By the way we found the motor at least 50 yards away from the rest of the wreckage.

Yeah, we are still good friends. He taught me how to fly R/C last summer, and we've been flying together just about every weekend since. Its hard to assign any real blame to this one. And what are the odds of it happening again?
Old 05-08-2003, 09:43 AM
jwoolridge

Originally posted by DBCherry
You'll probably never find out.

I lost orientation once. Put a 40 size sport plane in through some big, thick ol' trees.

When I retieved it, the only damage to the wing was a small dent in one leading edge. The vertical and horizontal stabs on the other hand, were stripped completely off the fuse.

Can anyone tell me how THAT happened?!
Dennis-
Let me guess tail slide gone bad
Old 05-14-2003, 09:20 PM
Montague

I'd guess that your prop survived because the engine stopped suddenly when the spinner hit something hard, like the other prop. If the prop stopped level, then it could be below whatever removed the carb and dented the cylinder.

Truth is, you'll never know for sure. I've been in dozens of mid-airs, and even when you swear you know what happened, the damage you find frequently defies explaination, things just move in strange ways.

I'll say one thing about mid-airs for sure though, the worst ones, you never, ever see coming.