Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

IFR model flying

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

IFR model flying

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 03:53 AM
seafurymike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IFR model flying

I knew it was going to be one of those days,

On my way out to the flying field I stopped in at the pet store to get my rabbit some pellets. On coming out I saw a black cat sitting next to my car. Crap I says to myself, but looking at the cat I decided it looked like a nice friendly cat and that I was being stupid in thinking it would cause me some disaster out at the field.

Upon reaching the field (clouded in with low fog at this point) I unpacked the plane and had a coffee with the boys. An hour later the fog lifted enough and I cranked up the bird and started to have a fly.

Now, I looked at this wisper of fog still hovering at the top end of the field and I thought, I can see through this, it must be all right to fly through.

So I flew right through the guts of it. At this point I said , bugger, as I lost sight of my plane and i wasn't quite sure if I had it straight and level. I kept saying bugger to myself for atleast 10 seconds when the model popped out the bottom of the fog.

I pulled hard left and levelled the girl off, as she came out in a slight dive and proceeded to fly at the souther CLEAR end of the field for the next 10 minutes.

I must say it would have to be the dumbest thing I've done in a while and I'm sure if it wasn't for that cat being a nice black cat I would have written off my plane.

So the moral of the story is, next time you see a black cat and your about to fly your plane, make sure you run that bloody cat into the ground and kill that dreaded curse before it gets you.

cheers
Mike
Old 04-29-2003, 06:08 PM
AdmiralHam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: IFR model flying

Originally posted by seafurymike
. . . next time you see a black cat and your about to fly your plane, make sure you run that bloody cat into the ground and kill that dreaded curse before it gets you.
I say you should do that anytime you see a cat, but that's just my opinion

Sounds like a close call. Congratulations on saving the plane!
Old 04-29-2003, 07:41 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default IFR model flying

Our field is on the top of a hill and I had a similar experience. What I thought was high cover was in fact low cloud. "Poof" Bermuda Triangle. I remembered an instructor's advice" (apparently it happens there often enough) "throttle back, add rudder, look, listen, hope. Saw it again at about 40 feet and all ended well.

Another day I had a deadstick that I couldn't ooch back quite far enough to make the field and I landed beside the road that leads to the field. It was out of sight for the last 15 seconds or so and I flared by zen. Found her on her wheels in the ragweed. (Trees to the right and an unimproved seasonal use road that my car can barely handle on the left). Sometime you eat bear and sometimes the bear eats you.