Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Modified My US60 ARF

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Modified My US60 ARF

Old 05-29-2003, 01:11 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Modified My US60 ARF

Well I joined the "I had my first real crash club" this Memorial Day weekend. We had a guest day at our field. Great turn out about 50-60 pilots and close to 100 planes. I have been flying about a year and have been pretty lucky and have improved my skills, yet.......

So I get up the nerve in the morning to fly my 4*60 lost the engine on a go around. Gave it full throttle about 1 ft above the ground, it quit, and I pancaked on the runway. This one was not a problem. Except for flattening the landing gear and putting a hole in the leading edge it was fixable. Took care of the gear at the field and taped the LE could have tried it again, but I decided later to take up my ultra stick.

Well I modified my Ultra Stick 60 into a Ultra Stickss 60. Was doing rolls a little close to the ground, but not too low. Into one and into the second, losing a little altitude, but in general not too bad. My thumb was trained, but my brain stepped in the way. I exited the second roll upside down because I was concerned that the ground was coming up to fast to complete the roll. I pushed forward on my elavator (just what I was supposed to do) and then my brain got in the way and said "no you're pushing the wrong way." Well I wasn't and I should have just kept pushing forward, the plane would have recovered, I could have landed, and avoided the long walk into the wheat field next to ours.

Here is the result:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	82197_23289.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	48386  
Old 05-29-2003, 01:13 AM
hookedonrc

BTW: Trying to find out how to make the enlarged picture bigger. I do have an optimizer program, but maybe I don't get how to use it.

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-29-2003, 03:07 AM
mrbonk

Yep, same way I killed my first Great Planes Dazzler. Doing lazy, low throttle, inverted figure 8's in front of myself......had a total brain fart and pulled up instead of down......*crunch*. Now, I'm going to use the excuse that I had the flu and had taken some drugs to combat it Either way, if the good old brain had just stayed out of it, my thumbs knew what to do and would have been fine on their own
Old 05-30-2003, 04:50 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for your US60 Loss. I have one in the box awaiting eng and radio. Gonna be a long wait.
Old 05-30-2003, 06:24 PM
hookedonrc

Thanks for your sympathy. If it were my thumb I could cut off the problem. However it was my brain.....I'm not going there!

BTW: I got real lucky, went to my LHS to get the replacement ARF for $179.00. They had one hanging from the ceiling that was on sale by one of the club members I know. He is selling because he has too many planes now. It is completely finished, in great shape, and only needs the engine, servos and electronics. I paid $189.00 for it and will be in the air by the weekend. With the ARF I would have been at least 2-3 weeks building and would have to pay taxes. It turns out the ARF would be more expensive than the finished one after the taxes. So ....>>>I bought it>>>>