Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Old Zero - New Project

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Old Zero - New Project

Old 01-30-2009, 06:53 PM
pmillerusa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Zero - New Project

Picked up this Zero locally for $50...

With no experience on Warbirds, (only trainers, a big stick, a 72" glider and a fly baby) I figure the money and time I have going into my [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8301247]TF 1/7 Mustang[/link] would be saved by cutting my teeth on this beast... Pretty rough, but looks solid overall (minus that retractable stab )

Going to see if the FOX .61 will run this weekend and then start breaking it down and see how bad the damage is. Any idea's on the make? I was told it has been sitting for ~15 years and the current owner got it in the already wrecked condition.

Will post with more details as I find them.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96871.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	1123483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34555.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	1123484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51894.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	1123485  
Old 01-31-2009, 01:54 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Old Zero - New Project

Is that a spun alluminium cowl? If it is you may have an old Royal kit built plane there. Worth restoring as they are hard to come by now a days.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:32 PM
pmillerusa

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it is a spun aluminum cowl. (was really surprised to see it) Everything looks like it was built very well and other than the stab that was damaged, it seems pretty original and un-abused.

I found an old online listing for a Royal kit with part of the plans in the picture. The tail profile appears to be very unique and looks more or less like the plans. I’m digging into it later today and will see if there are any markings etc.

EDIT - Found the RCU [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7149203]"Royal Thread"[/link]... that looks like it for sure. Same animal.

The engine is indeed a FOX, but not a 61 as it was reported (at least I don’t think so). I measured the bore and stoke and did the math and came out with .89. The ring was broken, but the bore was clean. The bearings are questionable and the low speed needle was broken. Fiddling with it anyway.

The old AM Futaba 6ch (FP-T6FG/K) it came with seems to be toast. (figured I could get some bench testing down with it before swapping in my DX7).

The paint is really brittle and will need some serious sanding and refinishing/recovering.

Not like I needed another project, but isn’t that why we all do this?

Thanks,

Old 02-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Major_Alvega

Any progress with your Zero?
Old 02-14-2009, 06:46 PM
ZERO-322
My Feedback: (2)

How are things going with your progress , you have us all on the edge of our seat ! LOL