Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

balsa / plywood repair tools

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

balsa / plywood repair tools

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 01:31 PM
kiosk
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default balsa / plywood repair tools

well i cant seem to keep my planes unscratched! while i dont total them anymore as used to at least then was an easy decision to go get something new altogether.....but now is more of the little dings and snaps which are too little to justify a new model but ugly enough to requiring repair...so my question is
what are required tools for doing wood balsa/plywood repair....am ok doing this kind work, enjoy it to some extent......but have difficulty making precise cuts and angles....any tips appreciated
Old 02-10-2009, 05:24 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: balsa / plywood repair tools

Buy the usual Zona hobby saws, also known as razor saws, coping saw, #11 hobby knife( and buy the large qty of blades,100count), good aluminum or steel straight edges in 12" and 36", a square, aluminum 11" sanding bar and if your budget allows, a scroll saw or 9" band saw, hobbico/GP builders triangle set, contour sander. Other tools that are very usefull and never think of them till you need it is a mini planer and a balsa stripper, for making your own sticks out of sheet stock.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:40 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tools mentioned get you mainly what you need. Getting precise cuts etc. comes from developing the skill needed, comes with practise. Also often times going about the repair in proper manner also comes with practise. You'll get there.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:06 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

nice list planebuilder66. i would add a dremel device of some sort to the list. also, i would buy every glue there is. epoxy, polyurethane, titebond, all 3 CA thicknesses, hysol, also fillers of all types; hobbylite, spackling, evercoat, bondo spot filler. i'm sure we can think of more.