Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Wing Tip LE repair help

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Wing Tip LE repair help

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 06:53 PM
skip1320

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing Tip LE repair help

Here are some pics of damaged wing,not completely stripped square yet,looking for ideas,help,can i just make a whole corner from Dow blue foam,i can square it off at rib to right and spar are OK,end butt rib is not there,shouldnt be problem,have other wing for specs,any ideas ,help great,Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65259.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1139919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85688.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1139920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71134.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1139921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65088.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1139922  
Old 02-19-2009, 09:48 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Wing Tip LE repair help

I think your idea of carving a block of foam down and just adding it might work out on the end of the wing like that, especially if you splice in new leading edge, but I imagine it will come out alot heavier than the other side. If it was me I'd fix the leading edge out to the last rib, scratch some new ribs between damage and the outer wing, then resheet it..Of course fix any small fractures and parts missing so it all ties together nice and strong...

You have enough damage there that its kind of hard to give a good acurate step by step plan without seeing it up close..
Its a fairly easy fix from what I can see, just time and very little balsa..
Old 02-19-2009, 10:02 PM
skip1320

Yea,seems to be the best idea,i squared it off since pics,not that bad,thanks for reply
Old 02-20-2009, 09:42 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a tapered wing off an extra or an edge type plane, the foam is ok, but lateral balance is going to suffer, IE, in loops, it will track to the heavier wing panel, My suggestion,... rebuild the LE and ribs as normal, your going to have to shape the foam with a sanding bar anyway, so make the new ribs and LE, tape off the existing covering to prevent scratching it with the sanding bar and go to town. Add your sheeting and recover the affected area, and start flying, I would think going the foam route will be more work and cost in the long run. You still have to sand, but now you have to cover the tip in a matching low temp covering and the density between foam and wood is drastically different, you will end up with a division line between the two.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:09 AM
flyngfrog

You can remove covering from the other side of vving and get template for the ribs. Replace first the tip rib and the LE to assure alignment, then vvith the templates make the other ribs and glue them in place. After that just re-sheet, a little sanding and recover the vving. Novv you can celebrate your reparation changing colors to the covering.

good luck