Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

That tree jumped!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

That tree jumped!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Korps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That tree jumped!!!

Well it was a lovely morning for flying today.

I got up at 6am and got ready, at 6:40am we left for the field. Got there and a couple of seconds afterwards, my friend arrived and I was already unpacked. I checked everything, refueled and tightened everything. I forgot this morning - one of my clips which I use to secure my aileron plugs to each other. I quickly used insolation tape on the one and clipped the other. I also just too be sure insolation taped the battery connection too the plug.

My friend took up his Thunderbolt electric and I started up my engine - 3rd flip and it ran but in reverse. I throttled up a couple of times but it didn't want to kick back so it died. I tried again and there we go everything was right.

I took off and had a wonderful flight!!! I did loops, stall turns, knife edge and a couple of other things - it was great!

My gf said that my 8 min was up and by that time the wind changed direction...if I was going too come in into the wind it would from the cement dams side and by the trees. I was nervous, and pondered for a while whether I should risk it - it's not an ideal approach area for landing. Or rather come from the side which we normally do even though it's with the wind. I then decided I'll try it into the wind.

I came in nice and easy and knew I can't gather too much speed since if I'm too fast it will overshoot the runway and if this happens after touching down I will go over the little dip. It looked as if I was infront of the trees - it surely looked like that - but I was wrong. I just saw and heard a "BANG" - the planes nose hit the tree stump dead on and the plane went nose first into the ground - tried too give up elevator but it wouldn't lift.

This was my first crash - I just put my radio down on the ground and sat down for a couple of seconds. Then got up and went too the plane. The firewall broke right through, the cowl completely messed up, the engine seems too be okay - but the needle broke off. The shaft seems too still be turning fine if turned by hand. Other than that the only damage is I little cut in the plastic on the the one wing. We found the battery have disconnected - whether this was with the tree hit or the ground we do not know - if it was with the tree it could be the reason why there was NO response when I pulled the elevator - but I also think it was because I had almost no speed.

Well I don't know how easy a fix this is or whether it's worth it, but here are a few pics afterwards.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66498.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	1177234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14087.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	1177235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71089.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	1177236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn31639.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1177237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz30911.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1177238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sj73476.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1177239  
Old 04-10-2009, 12:57 PM
worldmodelsmach1
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: That tree jumped!!!

Man, i totally feel your loss, i had my first acro plane at the field and on maiden; wings came off at about 200' and plummeted in like a lawn dart, only two things that were still repairable was one servo and the engine, the rest of it decintegrated on impact.

Keep 'em Flyin

-Christopher
Old 04-10-2009, 01:40 PM
rlipsett

you call that a crash!! I have seen worse hanger rash. That plane should be up and flyable by next week but if you want to ship the whole thing to me with engine and radio gear I would gladly accepted it. just kidding. The damage seems quite lite and repairable. After you strip the engine and mounts off the firewall you should see how easily the pieces reassemble with some ca. The pieces might not be strong enough for flight again but you will have a template to cut a new fire wall from. One small step at a time and you will fly again, but if you concentrate on all the damage as a whole you will never repair anything
Old 04-11-2009, 01:19 AM
Korps

lol rlipsett

I know I got of pretty good from that one - looked much worst when it happened than what the damage afterwards says. The firewall did a great job of cleanly breaking too the back into the plane with basically no damage too the fuselage itself. I give Green Models a thumbs up for the construction. I will be repairing it, but since I'm not a expert builder with really any experience I'm dropping the plane off at the hobby shop - they usually sort me out pretty fast. And the guy who builds the planes really knows what he is doing.

The only thing which might be an issue, I think, is going too be getting a new cowl (that one is irrepairable).

Old 04-13-2009, 08:33 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I agree with rlipsett, I have crushed the nose up into kindling all the way back to the windscreen and rebuilt them as good as new. If you are strickly an ARF flier, check with a local club and find a builder to consult with. Any good builder can inspect it and give you a quick thumbnail sketch on the steps you need to take. Most will be more than willing to advise you its the first step we convert you into a builder (Resistance is futile you will be assimilated! ). The cowling you can take the easy way out and order new but I have been know to salvage one in this shape.

Mike
Old 04-13-2009, 08:35 AM
FlyerInOKC

Should that be: Watch out! Dead plane flying! OK, I know bad timing but it was just too easy.....
Old 04-13-2009, 09:59 AM
Korps

LOL Flyer hmm maybe I should change it :P

Took the plane in two days ago and they going too rebuild it for me, they said the cowl they can use too make a new one - so that is also sorted out.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:49 PM
FlyerInOKC

That is good news Korps, good luck on the next flight. The one nice thing about R/C you always walk away from your crashes!
Old 04-13-2009, 10:05 PM
worldmodelsmach1

Im sorry to say, but you dont always walk away from your crashes, i lost control of my plane and it hit and broke my leg (it was a 90 size) still unknown cause of control loss (probably radio glitch). i had to be carted off in an ambulance, but now im up and flying again.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:39 AM
Korps

Thanx Flyer, yip I was glad when I heard that. I'm just waiting for them too phone me and tell me what it is going too cost - if it comes near too a new plane (which I highly doubt) then I'll rather buy a new one - there is a lovely Katana sitting on their shelf which talks too me everytime I walk past it - "Buy me, buy me, I know you want too" .

If I only kept my Stick I would still have been able too fly the rest of the weekend which has past - was a long weekend and I had that incident on the first day []. Regrets always comes too late . That flight was the Edge's fifth flight in total.

It gave me some time with my Stryker though - since it's the only other plane I got - and oh boy did we enjoy that . Chasing sheep at very low level flying has never been so much fun

*edit*
World - where did this happen - at the start up point or while you were in the air?
Old 04-14-2009, 09:10 AM
FlyerInOKC

ORIGINAL: Korps

Thanx Flyer, yip I was glad when I heard that. I'm just waiting for them too phone me and tell me what it is going too cost - if it comes near too a new plane (which I highly doubt) then I'll rather buy a new one - there is a lovely Katana sitting on their shelf which talks too me everytime I walk past it - "Buy me, buy me, I know you want too" .
I resemble that remark! There is always some airplane whispering to me everytime I go into the shop. I'm like a drunk in a liquor store I want everything I see! I'm hopelessly addicted and have enough projects in my garage to prove it.

It gave me some time with my Stryker though - since it's the only other plane I got - and oh boy did we enjoy that . Chasing sheep at very low level flying has never been so much fun
Chasing livestock it doesn't get any better than that! I have a friend with a big dumb Irish Sitter she is constantly cornering with her little indoor heli. I don't dare fly indoor in the house I would never get my lab from out from under the desk in the bedroom. (She is a yellow lab trapped in a chocolate body.)

Oh one more thing,don't stand too close to Woldmodelsmach1 when he is flying! (He is the guy wearing the shin guards.)
Old 04-14-2009, 10:25 AM
Korps

LOL never thought about it as a drunk in a liquor store but it hits it dead in the centre.

Yip where we fly there is a huge damn with trees nearby which means A LOT of bird life. Now imagine too yourself what happens when they enter our airspace

Oh the joys of this hobby - it's endless
Old 04-14-2009, 11:55 AM
worldmodelsmach1

Oh... p.s i think it was also kinda my fault for standing a bit further out on the runway[:@]
Old 04-14-2009, 02:21 PM
FlyerInOKC

Yip where we fly there is a huge damn with trees nearby which means A LOT of bird life. Now imagine too yourself what happens when they enter our airspace
It must be rather interesting if the bird in question is a preditor looking for a meal or a very territorial bird!

Worldmodelsmach1 you were just using the tried and true method of learning the hard way!

Old 04-15-2009, 01:58 PM
worldmodelsmach1

Ya..... LOL
Old 04-27-2009, 01:07 AM
TheGlide

Last time I crashed it was the same thing but worse full throttle through a tree. All the wood from just behind the main wing, forward was destroyed. At lease your plane will not be as bad to repair. mine made its way to the rubbish bin. good luck fixing it.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:58 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I had another moment last weekend that made me think,.......maybe my depth perception is totally shot?! I flew a few circuits at a large open park, it use to be a old WWII airforce base, the landing strips are still in place here and there. Anywho, I was shooting touch and goes over and over and when I finally decided to put her down for the last time and I was talking to one of my friends the whole time and the next thing I know I here him say uhhhh, and I then realize that I'm a little too close to the soccer goal post. All I saw was I had past the post already, but the right wing was clearly not going to make it past the 4x4 steel post. It was truly amazing watching the balsa mushroom cloud explode like someone put a M-1000 inside the right wing. Let's just say the right wing can be fixed if I want to replace the spar, the wing tube, 8 ribs the sheeting the trailing edge and the entire covering along with the gear plate, wing hold down and front holddown plate. I'd rather build a kit than fix the pulse xt, or just buy a sportster 40 arf, and I hate arf's. But in hind sight, they get you back in the air fast, but the quality is bad on most, but for a pinch they do work. This is why I posted the question of which kit next out of the nine on the floor. I attribute the crash to pilot error, I'm dumb and this makes 2 incidents in two weeks, but I walked away.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:48 AM
Korps

Sorry too hear about your plane planebuilder - it happens so fast and easily. I'm also thinking twice about my depth perception nowadays. I'm scared too take the plane back up after that crash - the reason being because of this. I seem too be flying my Stryker around easily without hesitating about distance, but after the crash have doubt about my glow plane. I'm itching too fly it again - but scared aswell. We don't have that many obstacles in our area - a elec line running through the field and some trees, a cement dam and two water towers -> and you have too pass atleast one of them when landing lol - hows that for luck.

I will probably be flying again this weekend - so I'm hoping that I can relax and just fly as I've always done.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:48 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been flying long enough to realize that your going to lose one every now and then, unfortunatly, it was my own stupidity and lack of judgement that caused it. I almost jumped in the air and screamed scoooore!!!!, but I realized it was outside the net?![&o] Maybe next time I'll do better at putting it in the net.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Phoenixangel

My first trainer on about the 10th or so solo flight found its way to balsa heaven. I took off watched it gradually rise out over the lake,as I went to turn to the right, it began to climb higher and higher at wide open throttle. Just as I was sure it was going to stall it began a slow graceful beautiful turn around to come back to me. I had no control whatsoever. It was coming downwind wide open descending. I watch as it plows into the only tree around for about .25 of a mile. It literally exploded, the engine came off and went straight up into the air still running for a second prop partially intact. The wings were just gone, I do not mean that they were messed up or in bad shape I mean other then some covering they were no longer identifiable. The servo tray and battery were all strapped together and ended up stuck in the tree with the stabs. The firewall pushed through the fuse with the help of a limb splitting it all the way back to the bolts for the stabs. One side of the fuse and the main gear is still in the tree. I have the stabs hanging on the wall.

72mhz does not carry well without an antenna to broadcast it with.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:27 AM
Korps

Planebuilder - I guess these things happens sooner or later and that is just part of the hobby. It also happens too the best of them and for that reason I'm not tooo hard on myself about it. It's so easy too misjudge one self when you are on the ground and the plane in the air.

Pheonix atleast you left your mark there . My friend phoned me he day after and told me there is a yellow mark in the tree where I hit it - the next day when I went too have a look it was gone .

I comforted myself by telling myself - atleast the first one is out of the way now
Old 06-08-2009, 03:00 AM
Korps

Okay, it's been a while lol and a long wait. Thought I'd update this post.

Got my plane back about two weeks ago. The weather just hasn't played along. Saterday the weather started to clear up so I decided to take the Edge out for a taxi run or two, just to make sure nothing falls off or breaks etc. The rebuild which the guy did for me looks excellent - I'm very impressed. So Saturday we did a couple of taxi runs, but it was evening and I didn't want to risk flying when the sun was busy going under and the wind was a bit hectic I think.

Sunday (yesterday), I went out to the field and took her up. OMW I could really feel I wasn't use to this plane anymore. I pulled almost vertical as I left the runway (damn it's sensitive and I don't fly with expo lol). Luckily this plane has more than enough power and didn't stall. I flew a couple of circuits and the plane sprinted from the one end to the other - damn it's fast! I did a couple of rolls and loops - then brought it down - came in a bit to hot, but set it down without any hassles. Flew my Stryker, just to relax again. Took the Edge up for the second time - the wind was starting to come up, but nothing hectic. Then I decided - now I'm going to have some fun. I did a lot of rolls, loops, split S, stall turns, immelman and knife edge (still struggling with that). I had a blast - brought her in, had to change runway due to the wind and with the grass field not cut I was unable to determine where the runway exactly is. First approach was too fast and I went around - second one a bit high, but put it into an easy dive and flared, a bit more than usual, and put it down (just too the side of the runway lol - oh well nothing terrible. Third flight the wind started pushing, but I went up - again enjoyed myself so much. Tried an inverted flat spin - but it spun too fast and I rather pulled out...didn't try that one again lol. Brought the plane in for landing (had to change runway again - due to the wind) - nice approach. Wind was not head on - but the angle which it came from was nothing to be concerned with. As I got 3 - 4 meters from the ground a cross wind gust came up and it took the plane off course - heading straight at us! Luckily I kept my cool and used rudder to correct - I set it down on the right hand edge of the runway and let it roll onto the runway. If I used aileron to correct there I think it would have been another crash. But all in all - had a great time.