Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

RE: 3 1/2 Mini Ultra Stick Rebuild

If it's not too much trouble it'd be fun to see a picture of your .15 It's nice of you to rebuild one for the guy that gave you the originals.

Since the last time I posted on your thread mine spent another couple nights with a view from a tree. It probably sat up there wondering what the heck is up with its owners depth perception! But all's well, a quick repair, I got my daily flying fix this morning over at the school yard.

At the expense of sounding like a broken record, I really like how mine flies. More importantly to me, I like how it lands. It lands and behaves like a larger sized model airplane, and not like a park foamy. And once again I'll mention for others reading this thread considering purchasing one of these, splay the gear forward because it makes all the difference in the world with enjoying how the model lands and taxis.

Not any trouble at all. Although please excuse my camera phone pics, like the rest of all of them, they are a little burry and I'm too lazy to open up photoshop. The guy who gave me all of the MUSs originally said he didn't want one back. That all changed once I showed him this thread, the .25 MUS, and the finished .15. He was more astonished how I built something out of what he gave me. I didn't think it was that big of deal, it's a MUS, you can't kill them really. Sorry to hear that yours spent the night in the trees again, hope everything is fine now.

Now for the pics of the .15. Her covering job is not the best. I was covering her when I was lacking funds, so I used every single piece of scrap covering I had, so she looks like crap. If you look at closely at the fuel tank, that red area below it is the battery. It went under where the old battery tray was. That's how I had it set up since it was electric. It really helps with the CG and is a perfect fit. The interior pic shows the various little servos and my little Berg receiver that survived being soaked with glow fuel from a previous maidening attempt, see post #43. On the tail you can see the upgraded pushrods and control horns and a top section of the tail wheel elastics. But alas, this one was built on a budget of what I had, so it doesn't incorporate all the stuff that the .25 has going for it. It just has partial control surface and fuse doubling. I didn't have the funds to buy wood at the time. All in all, she is still a great flyer. The extra weight really helps with the sink rate when landing, it just makes it fun. On an interesting note, I got complements a few days ago when I was flying in 18 mph winds from a few 30%+ guys on how well it flew and my landings in strong gusts, let alone a cross wind that they wouldn't attempt to land in. I just smiled and said "that's my baby" and "learning to fly in Corpus Christi certainly had something to do with it". Anyway she's out of commission till I order a part for the carb. Stupid me forgot to put the flaps back up after I was done flying. She lifted right off of the prep table when I stepped away and slammed backwards on the cement and sheared off the fuel needle assembly. At least I was done flying for the day, it just wasn't how I wanted to end it.

WestCoastFlyer, there's nothing wrong with rambling or being like a broken record, I just did!

Edit: I just noticed my wheels are crooked, I guess I need to fix that tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Db84641.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	1250014   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pk29868.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	1250015   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qv54416.jpg 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	1250016   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zt53698.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	1250017   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	It98943.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	1250018  

Everyone crashes, its the matter of whose is cooler when it does!
    MUS Rebuild: http://tiny.cc/D6vWj

Thanks for posting pictures, that's a cool airplane! I'm impressed with what you've done. True about the wind. I've got two Weather Exchange weather stations very close to me and if wind gusts are at 20 mph, which is a wallop of wind, I fly mine and it does great. Amazing that a light, really small design can do so well.

Yes everything is fine after spending another couple of nights in a big Maple tree this time. The local economy is doing quite well due to my contributions to professional tree climbers.

ORIGINAL: WestCoastFlyer

Yes everything is fine after spending another couple of nights in a big Maple tree this time. The local economy is doing quite well due to my contributions to professional tree climbers.
    Good to know you're doing your part lol.

Faissal's MUS actually is starting to look like one now. I made some "upgraded" formers as he likes to have "landing adventures" lol. I just hope it will help. I also went and cut out new sides to get ready for the new front formers and firewall. My plan to encourage myself to work on his plane a little faster is to not to work on the .25 till his is to the same stage. We shall she how long it last.

Name:	Lj21654.jpg 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	1250537   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni25065.jpg 
Size:	159.9 KB 
ID:	1250538   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rw58578.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	1250539   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xr45589.jpg 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	1250540  

Ok good news, I got accepted into college at the last minute! So the rebuild has been put off for a few weeks. I promise to start rebuilding soon! Faissal, you will have your plane by the middle of September at the latest. I just have to make the firewall and the front former, after that, it's all straight forward and the fuse can be down within an hour.

Congratulations! College at this point is a million times more important than hobbies, and that includes all the college things - 1st working hard in your classes, 2nd social things and making new friends, then 3rd hobbies. But I think you know that. Have fun and work hard!

I was just looking on Horizon's website. The MUS is down to $109?! My Extra 260 is down to $120?! What the bleepy, bleep, bleep happened there?! My original MUS was $130 and my Extra was $160. When did they do this? I do see that they didn't do it for the replacement parts though. If they are going to lower anything, it needs to be that!

Guess who is going to have another MUS? I'm trading my Extra 260 for one. This will make the 5th MUS and my 6th Ultra Stick. I think I may have a problem. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah you are a MUS freak LOL he is getting my MUS and that means I will have a few extra 260s I see a trend here A good trend you have done a great job with the last ones !!!
    It\'\'\'\'s a temporary fix unless it works at which point it becomes permanent!!!

Whoop home from college. Time to start building for a few weeks hopefully. My goal is to finish the .25 and the other. I just have to find out what he wants powering it.

Here's tonight's progress:

I made the former and the firewall. I also sheeted the exposed areas to get them ready for the doubling and added the various supports on the inside, minus the ones for the landing gear. That still needs to be made and installed.

Name:	ki18891.jpg 
Size:	547.8 KB 
ID:	1340214   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yt60843.jpg 
Size:	476.5 KB 
ID:	1340215   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yd83395.jpg 
Size:	566.9 KB 
ID:	1340216   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nh11209.jpg 
Size:	571.5 KB 
ID:	1340217   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	do81889.jpg 
Size:	587.5 KB 
ID:	1340218  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hy35765.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	601.5 KB 
ID:	1340219   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oq21148.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	518.6 KB 
ID:	1340220  

Ok tonight I cut out the wing saddles, sheeted the left side of the fuse, and filled the various holes with filler. I chose not to add the basswood strip like on the .25 because I don't think this one will need it. Also I think Faissal would like to keep the weight down if he ends up going electric. I won't be able to continue working on it till next Wednesday or so when I come back from visiting my sister in Louisiana. Merry Christmas everyone!

Name:	zw69325.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	584.7 KB 
ID:	1340788   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	id95325.jpg 
Size:	635.3 KB 
ID:	1340789   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bg92692.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	608.2 KB 
ID:	1340790  

The South West MUS factory roars back to life!   Hope you're doing good in school, looking forward to your progress through all these planes.

ORIGINAL: WestCoastFlyer

The South West MUS factory roars back to life! * Hope you're doing good in school, looking forward to your progress through all these planes.

Thanks for the kind words. School is going good. I miss my planes though. I just plain have too much time on my hands and now that I have an apartment I have room for them!

I was suppose to come back Monday afternoon, but my car decided to blow its high pressure fuel pump, so I got back this evening instead. Anyway, tonight I was able to sheet the other side, fill, sand, then install the landing gear. I forgot to install it before I sheeted the sides. :X Regardless it stands on its own for the first time!

Name:	lj23971.jpg 
Size:	626.4 KB 
ID:	1345580   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	id95889.jpg 
Size:	614.1 KB 
ID:	1345581   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ou49689.jpg 
Size:	516.1 KB 
ID:	1345582   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gz75888.jpg 
Size:	540.6 KB 
ID:	1345583   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cn79336.jpg 
Size:	510.9 KB 
ID:	1345584  

For some reason that last pic doesn't look right to me, but it is all right. I also straighten up the cuts on the sheeting around the landing gear plate.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

WOW, Lot's of work for the Mini U. I had one too and really loved it but a power line decided to take it away.

Now i never thought about making it a glow, I have lost of .15 and .25 glows hanging on the wall.

Like you, I figured I could make one. I found this link for foam planes ( http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851608 ) and found planes for a ugly stick.

With some foam board and a foam wing I made this.

$.99 worth of foam board and some other stuff..

Wonder what a .15 glow would do to this???

Larry

Name:	Gd93707.jpg 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	1350974   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xs57067.jpg 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	1350975  
    Never stop flying the airplane until the rudder meets the cockpit

I never posted this, but I finished the fuse right before I left after Xmas.

Name:	ca81172.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	1378756  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123