Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

funny or amazing crash stories

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

funny or amazing crash stories

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 05:48 AM
Yuvski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: funny or amazing crash stories

here's a video of my crash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaK1trKs2Vw

Old 12-05-2011, 10:01 AM
bentwings

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice vid. Now you know what all those nice orange balls on the wires are for. haha Need a few on the trees at your flying field.

Guess this is why there are no old, bold, pilots. LOL
Old 01-07-2012, 02:07 PM
retnavycdr
My Feedback: (190)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was flying my Senior Kadet off the club field in Pueblo,Colorado and lost all control. I found out later the receiver battery wire failed. ANyway, the plane just kept flying, straigh and level, getting smaller and smaller!! It finally disappered and I thought I would never see it again. About ten minutes later my cell phone rang and a trucker asked me if I had lost a plane, described as Transparent Red in color, with my name and phone number under the right wing. I was amazed and asked him where he was. He told me he watched the plane make a perfect landing on the highway i front of him and he stopped in time not to hit it and then pulled over and picked it up and took it to the side of the road. He saw my cell phone number and called me to get it. It was sbout 9 miles away from the club field and ran out of gas and made a better landing than I usually do. I hopped in my truck and drove over to the unassisted landing site and thanked the trucker, who would not take any money for his kindness and quick thhinking not to drive over the plane. Roger, Pueblo West, Colorado
Old 01-07-2012, 02:18 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thats a great story, and a Great person !
Old 01-07-2012, 06:30 PM
telejojo

It says the video is private........................................... ...............
Old 01-07-2012, 06:34 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got the same message, Yuvski

Bob
Old 01-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Live Wire

+3
Old 01-24-2012, 08:40 AM
BGCombs
My Feedback: (24)

Radar guns kill planes!

I bought a used GP Super Skybolt, and installed a DLE20 on it as an experiment. It was a phenominal flyer and the CG was perfect. One of my friends at the field asked if I wanted to see how fast it was, and I preceeded to make upwind passes to check the speed. He suggested I make a right to left downwind pass. I throttled up, made the approach, but let the plane drift towards the ground as it approached. It "Landed" at 126 MPH (Radar indicated!) and I was so suprised, I hesitated to pull up. In a flash, it turned sideways and barrel rolled off the end of the runway. I'm putting another together right now... totally my fault, but the guys felt so bad he gave me a reciever. I had just finished a conversation with him about how every plane has a expiration date, and "This one might make it's last flight i a few minutes"!

Hey, you live and learn, but it was still fun making the fast passes!

Old 01-24-2012, 09:36 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I have three, all happened last year.

The first, I was up flying my Apprentice around and my friend had his Cub up, I think he said it is 1/4 scale, with a 1.20 4 stroke.  He was doing some aerobatics with it, stalls, loops flips, crazy things, then all of a sudden I hear, oh crap, and the plane is all over the place, and for a moment I thought he had it back, and then as I am trying to land my plane I hear CRUNCH!  It went down 1/2 mile away into a gravel pit and we heard it.  We thought for sure it was scrap.  When we finally got there from across the soybean field, the plane was still pretty much intact. The motor was torn off, the windshield a goner, and the wing sheared off. 

Except for the windshield, its flying again. 

My second was me.  When you feel confident, and say, 10 flights and no mishaps, you are BOUND to crack it up.  I was flying my Apprentice backwards from my normal pattern left to right to get more coordination when it is coming at me from the right, well, I guess I got too close and it kept drifting to its left, my right and I kept trying to make it go to my left, using left stick.   Steel barns do resonate nicely when struck.  Luckily it was easily repaired, cracked the fin and munched the wing where the rubber holds it.  After some quick repairs I flew it into a tree while test flying it and bent the motor mount, I guess packing tape only works on the smaller planes to stick tails back on with .  It now has a new tail, motor mount and wing.

The third and this one is the best. 

My friends brother came out to fly and was having motor problems. Well he had 3 really good deadstick landings, and was on his fourth test flight when the motor quit once again. This time though he wasn't high enough to make a go around, or so he says. he brought it in cross runway, and we were sure he was going to turn away from the trailers, but nope, SMACK right into the trailer leg post.  It was his sons plane, thankfully his son wasn't there to see it.  Tore the left wing, and sheered the nose and LG off.  He didn't realize how much speed he had going and could have turned it without stalling.   I heard he maidened a P-51 he had a couple weeks ago, and forgot to change rates. I guess P-51's do not a good plow make. 
Old 01-25-2012, 08:06 AM
coxco
My Feedback: (7)

Back in the late 70's our club field was next to a cattle farm here in Texas. One of our older members was showing off a little, with his SIG Courger, as happens to the best of us from time to time. He was in a long, fast, low pass over the runway when he clipped the tall grass at the end of the field killing his os 61. Yes an OS61. He pulled out, made a turn to come back to the field, and the wind took the lift right out of the wing. He was a little on the other side of the fence and over some cows. The cows started running BUTT to no avail. The airplane got stuck in the south end of a north bound cow. She ran about 20 yards before it cameun-lodged and landed on the gear. The only thing broken was the prop. The spinner had poo all over it.

At the next club meeting he was awarded the BullsEye Award. A small plastic cow with a small airplane stuck in it's bu**.

The poor cow received nothing
Old 01-25-2012, 10:24 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After I had learned to fly inverted, I had built a Q500 style plane with a foam core wing sheeted with tag board. (worked very well) anyway, I was making inverted passes over the field working my way lower each pass. On the turn to the field I would get a little "bump/glitch" (flying a 72 TX at the time cause it's all we had) After the first couple of bumps I knew it was coming so it didn't bother me....... until the "last pass", Somebody said something in the group standing behind me at the exact moment of the bump. All my concentration was lost and I pulled full up. The plane had just enough altitude to get turned strait down before hitting the ground. Good thing was the debris field was only 48 inches in diameter (wing span). Oh, the engine was about 6 inches deep. It had dirt in the crankcase not just the carb. While the plane was a total loss, the engine only need a thorough cleaning and it flew again.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:09 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Bullseye award, Voted best story so far! At least by me.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:43 PM
phatboy

Well heres mine and a video to support it. The plane is an Airmadillo Kombat 40. I had just frankenstiened it from two kits, and some parts. This was the maiden flight. She flew pretty good, but as you will hear in the video the engine kept cutting out on me. I kept flying thinking it may have just been dirty from sitting up. WRONG. At the end of the video you will see that I pulled from a low pass into a high loop. The engine quit just about perfectly at the top of the loop. I managed to get it pretty much leveled out right as it did an unintentional touch and go, then tip stalled and cartwheeled.

Turns out there was a hole in my fuel line inside the tank causing it to suck air. Fixed the hole in the line, new nylon bolts in the main wing, straightened the pushrods, and she flew like a champ. The next day I was flying again, trying to get the motor tuned correctly, and choose a good prop. Decided to play a little, and went for a full speed inverted INSIDE loop. She rolled over on her top, pitched down beautifully and didnt have the guts to pull out of it. LAWN DART, at full throttle! Dug her out of the dirt, cleaned her off, replaced a few nylon bolts, the prop, and a zip tie holding the servos on, and flew for the rest of the day. Yes this plane is literally built with zip ties, nylon bolts, corrugated plastic and an aluminum tube for a fuselage. I love it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=torMQMixUvA&context=C350bbabADOEgsToPDskIscicdtpf2LaT_hLty_4em[/youtube]
Old 01-27-2012, 10:31 AM
rolliedog12
My Feedback: (3)

A few years ago we held a fly-in. We decided we would do a limbo contest. A member decides to fly his Duraplane in the contest. It hits the pole and goes into the pits destroying 2 airplanes. In Duraplane fashion, he puts the wing back on straight and flies the remainder of the day. This did not make the other two pilots, who lost their planes in the crash, very happy. I think that was our last fly-in.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:59 PM
WaffleMan
My Feedback: (1)

This story is kind of depressing. There Is this guy at the the club, he crashes almost every time he comes to the field. Today he had a hobbyking FlyCat EDF jet. The plane takes off, rolls inverted, and splats on the asphalt. ouch. It must have flown for an entire 2 seconds.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:45 PM
KitBuilder

I've been a glo flyer for years... but bought my first used electric. I set it up on my hitec 72mhz laser 4 channel. When I got to the field I notice my elevator was reversed at the taxi way... so i pulled of the back panel and of course the switches were labled so i flipped one.. rudder.. nope.. flipped the next and it took off like a bat out of you know what..... Low or off throttle went immediately to High... Didnt think of that!! Damage was minimal.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:46 PM
KitBuilder

oops
Old 02-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Herbs_007

Some pics of crashes at our field. For some reason trees are like magnets to rc planes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay76151.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1722594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20447.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	1722595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14786.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1722596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31060.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1722597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg98586.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	1722598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te47088.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1722599  
Old 02-03-2012, 04:06 PM
kgwomack

I usually tell non modelers that when you crash, you rarely loose the entire plane. Well here is a case where my friend never even attempted to pick up the pieces. Back in the late 80's I lived in Myrtle Beach, SC. Our local field was very nice, well groomed, but had a power lines at one end of the field and a sewage treatment plant on the other. The plant was seperated from the field by a mound that was about 25 to 30 feet high. One day my friend brought out his 40 size pattern plane powered by an O.S .61 long stroke with a tuned pipe. Needless to say it was fast. He was doing the fastest low passes down the field, I had ever seen. Each low pass was followed by a huge split S at each end of the field. On one pass I mentioned to him that I thought that I heard flutter. He responded, that he didn't have flutter. On the next pass he did his split S, followed by a dive straight into the sewage treatment pond, at well over 100mph. The splash of SH#t could be seen well over the 30 foot high mound. He had lost his elevator. he could have retrived his plane. The plant had a small boat. But he decided against it. I laugh every time I think about that.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:09 AM
rc74
My Feedback: (6)

My H9 P-47 arf at last years flying circus had the right wing depart due to the wing bolt backing out. Completey rebuilt her with fiberglass cloth, and painted with latex house paint. Back in the air last Friday. Ron

Name:	Vt58306.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1731163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19700.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	1731164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65221.jpg
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1731165  
Old 02-24-2012, 11:43 AM
Bundubasher

ORIGINAL: Herbs_007

Some pics of crashes at our field. For some reason trees are like magnets to rc planes.
Wow, maybe they try to return to their nests.....or do they prey on kaola bears?..

Cheers
Bundu
Old 02-29-2012, 03:54 PM
WaffleMan

Today we had a midair between 2 t-28s...  They were doing formation flying, and 1 of them cut into a turn to much. Neither of the props broke though
Old 03-05-2012, 05:26 AM
larrysogla

Way back in 1978 when I first started in RC airplanes, I bought from Hobby Shack(now HobbyPeople) a made in Japan Cessna ARF made of ABS plastic. It was a beautiful plane, powered with an OS .30 non-ring 2 stroke. Well I have never flown RC(only flown control line many years before). So I fired up the trusty OS .30, taxied out to the runway at the Sepulveda Dam Apollo Model Flying Field. At the time, the flying field was surrounded by 6 feet high cornfields. Needless to say, I made a perfect take-off and climbed to tree high altitude......then I needed to make a left turn but.........................I did not know how since I have never flown RC. The plane made wiggly manuevers trying to keep airborne and make a left turn at the same time. Needless to say I crashed into the cornfield in just a matter of seconds. I could not find the plane. However, the next day when I came back, I asked the farmer's field hand if he had seen my plane. He pointed me in the right row and I soon recovered my destroyed Cessna. I replaced it with a foam ARF, installed a cheapo Thunder Tiger(very cheap back then) and hired a kid named Brian at $10/hour to teach me how to fly RC. I was soon flying solo in 2 hours and still flying RC to this day. Good kid Brian, thanks kid.
On another note......many months after this, I was in San Diego at their stadium and during those days on the weekends when there was no game, they allowed RC planes to fly from the parking lot. There was a kid with a 3 channel .15 high wing trainer. Soon he was at a very high altitude and was in trouble and in panic because he did not know how to bring the plane back against the high altitude winds. I asked him if he needed help and he nodded his head meaning "yes" so I grabbed the transmitter from him and brought the plane back to a safe landing and it ran out of fuel on the landing pattern and I had to dead stick it to the landing. The kid was thankful for my rescue otherwise it would have been a lost plane somewhere in the city. It was exciting because it was windy that day and the 3 channel plane had trouble fighting the wind coming back to our landing spot. The high altitude winds were pushing the small .15 plane very fast away from us and in a matter of less than a minute if I had not taken over the transmitter the plane would have been too far away to bring back since it was small and the wing, nose and tail perspective was easy to lose. Yup.....a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. 'Nuff said.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:30 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great stories...
Old 03-06-2012, 12:57 PM
SkidMan
My Feedback: (17)

Like Post #53, I lost receiver power and ended up with while not a perfect landing on a highway, a survivable landing in a cow pasture.

It was a cool but nice winter day down here in Florida and it just wasn't my day. Ihad a downwind deadstick that upon turning a dogleg onto the old runway (tall grass) ended up tearing off the landing gear shearing the nylon 1/4" 20 bolts and breaking the prop - no other damage. After scrounging some bolts and another prop, I went back up and things seemed to be doing great when all of a sudden I had no control. I tried everything I could but the plane wasn't responding. Coming out of a dive it settled into a slightly banked decending turn to the right. I thought it was all over. I watched it as it disappeared behind a clumb of grass and began the long trudge to go pick up the pieces. To my great surprise, it did a pretty good job of landing itself! Once again the landing gear 1/4" nylon bolts sheared, but this time they broke the horizontal stablilizer leading edge, and the plane came to rest without any other noticable damage.

While Imade a mistake and re-installed the old battery rather than the freshly charged battery, Isure am glad that I had all my failsafes properly setup. The IBEC killed the engin and all control surfaces went to neutral.

All in all, the plane has made worse landings when the I was in full control

Paul

Name:	Lj22985.jpg
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	1735737