Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Happened today........

Old 07-19-2009, 09:56 PM
speedy72vega

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Happened today........

Well, I don't have any pics to post, but here's the story. Just happened this morning, too.
I was at the airfield flying, and one of the guys that hangs around the airfield came up to tell me he had just got a new plane. He has a Mini Cub, but I have never seen him fly it, so I was interested in his new purchase. It turns out, he bought one of the HobbyZone foamie Corsairs.
He said he had just finished putting it together last night, and asked me to look it over and if I would maiden it for him, so I agreed.
After making some adjustments, we went out to fly it. I lifted it up off the ground and trimmed it out, the thing flew great. I made several circuits, and when I had it flying nice and steady, I asked him if he wanted to take the sticks, after all, it was his plane.
He enthusiastically said 'SURE!', so I gave him the radio. He immediately went into a bank and dive, straight into the ground from about 20 or 30 feet up. I was telling him up elevator to pull it out, but he didn't know what I meant.
It turns out, and I had no idea, he didn't know how to fly. He had never flown a 4 channel airplane, and had only flown his Cub a couple of times. I thought he knew how to fly, or I would have never handed him the radio like that!
Poor guy was heartbroken, as I would have been too. That's when I found out he didn't know how to fly. I have seen him there at the airfield for months, and he knows most of the other pilots and club members, so I thought he had experience.

Well, the crash broke the fuse and wing in half, broke off the tip of the rudder and elevator, and cracked the cowl and canopy. I assured him we could fix it and it would be good as new. I got out the trusty ol' epoxy and clear tape and set to work. We had her back together in about an hour or so, and took her back up (I didn't give him the radio this time, but I tried to tutor him a bit). I made 3 more flights with it, and it flew just fine, although he ruined the 2 blade prop, so we had to put on the 3 blade that came with it also. Still flew, but much slower than before.
I am going to have him get a trainer cable so I can buddy box with him next time, but the plane flew great after the 'Crash and Rebuild' .
Old 07-20-2009, 12:51 AM
WestCoastFlyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Happened today........

That guy has a great attitude, and he made a great friend in you. Your story is the essence of friendship in the hobby.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:11 AM
speedy72vega

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah, I felt so bad for him, he's always at the airfield, but I've never seen him fly. I think he was a little intimidated to bring his Cub out, because he felt it wasn't as good as the other larger planes that people fly. So when he got the Corsair, he felt better about bringing it out, you know? I wish I had known that he couldn't fly though, would have gone about the whole thing alot differently.
Once he gets a buddy box cable, I can teach him in a much more productive way .
By te way WCF, did you ever decide on a new vehicle to haul your planes? I'm absolutely LOVING my new van so far. I'm in the process of customizing the interior, and will have full provisions for loading planes!!!
Old 07-20-2009, 12:08 PM
WestCoastFlyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I haven't bought anything yet, I'm toughing it out on my motorcycle. I got some good riding in this weekend, but I'm stuck not being able to fly when I can't borrow my son's car and sometimes he's gone all weekend. I thought about walking over to the local school with my little MUS, but I try not to call too much attention to the fact I fly there. I always wait until there's no one on the field, but many times people walking by stop and watch. I have a hunch one of these days a control freak type will take exception to my flying there - it's so much more convenient to fly there, much easier than the ritual of charging, loading up and driving to the field.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:37 PM
speedy72vega

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I LOVE flying my MUS too, but as of yet I have only flown it at the airfield. So many fields and parking lots just calling my name too. All RC flying of any kind has been pretty much banned here in the Denver metro area parks, so they are ready with the fines if you're caught.
Lucky for me, my local airfield is only 5 miles from my house, so I can just go and fly whenever I want. I bought a state parks pass this year, so I don't even have to pay park admission.
I just upgraded my MUS with a Rimfire 35-30-1450 motor, running a 9x6 prop on 3S. With a 2200ma Zippy, I easily get 8 minutes of flight time, and only use around 1300-1600ma. How sticky are they about the RC flying there in Oregon parks?
Old 07-20-2009, 07:16 PM
WestCoastFlyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've seen very little Park Flying around. In the last ten years I've seen a guy a couple times with an electric glider at the school field I go to, that was years ago, and there's a guy that used to go to another elementary school with his glow helicopters and practice, up/down. Up/down. I stopped and watched him a few times, nice guy, but just up/down, up/down lol. I was talking to a neighbor about RC and he was telling me about a guy that used to do the same thing three or four years ago over at the HS. Probably the same guy.

Changing the subject, I did see a guy once about 15 years ago with a black, really cool, large glow helicopter. This guy was really good. He was flying in a field next to a soccer field way out deep in SE Portland. He'd take it up really high, chop the motor, free fall and do those cool auto-rotation landings. Very cool. I don't know anything about helicopters, but this guy was really good.

What were we talking about? :-) Oh yeah, park flying. Not much that I can see and I don't know about State and Federal Park rules and regulations. There's a lot of RC activity in the Pacific NW, probably more up in WA, lots of clubs and I hear lots of guys flying that don't belong to clubs in the rural areas.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:16 PM
speedy72vega

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's an update WCF, the owner of the plane bought a buddy box cable and showed up at the field today. After setting his plane up on my DX6i, we took it up and he got to fly it today!!!! You should have seen the look on his face! He was smiling from ear to ear. He has alot to learn, but I think the buddy box will go a long way towards creating another pilot.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:48 PM
WestCoastFlyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Fantastic! Maybe someday he'll take the spirit you're giving him and pass it on to someone else. That's how it seems to work in our hobby.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:54 PM
JetCatJimmy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is such an incredible story! Very cool. You can't say I wouldn't have had the same impression you had. If he's been around the field that long you just assume that he knows what he's doing. Also, he took the sticks! LOL - He's got some serious huevos!

I'm glad it worked out and it looks like you've got a pilot in the making. Excellent addition to the sport! Next we'll ease him into turbines!
Old 07-27-2009, 08:19 PM
speedy72vega

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah, he was so appreciative, he kept saying 'thanks bud' the whole time . He was much more nervous taking the sticks this time though. I guess after seeing his plane hit the ground last time really brought it home just how difficult this hobby is at first. I think most people assume that it's easy, or that our planes are 'toys', but it's a whole different world when you are actually in the air for the first time!!
He was still putting the plane into a bank and dive at first, and I could hear him suck in a deep breath, but once he realized that I could just take over and recover for him, he loosened up a bit.
He came very prepared, even had spare props, and everything.

This is the first time I have ever tried to teach someone how to fly, and there is a huge amount of satisfaction in knowing i'm helping someone else to enjoy flying as much as I do. He always apologizes for interrupting my flying time, but I enjoy doing it. And besides, i'm still flying, even if it's someone else's plane .
I hope he shows up at the field this coming weekend so I can get him more stick time.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:22 PM
JetCatJimmy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I couldn't agree with you more. When I fly my jet, I always take the time to answer questions and explain anything people ask about it. It's really rewarding and I like seeing the eyes open up when they start to understand how it all comes together. People always appreciate it and it definitely makes the day a lot more enjoyable. Good on ya!

Search this Thread