Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Wreck.. Some dirt in Engine, can carb be fixed?

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Wreck.. Some dirt in Engine, can carb be fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 07:05 PM
xDennis
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wreck.. Some dirt in Engine, can carb be fixed?

Hello,
I have a Magnum XLS .52 that is less then a week old. I put it in a Sig four star 40, everything was going well until the wing snapped in half. ..not my apoxied part but from the glue from sig, I hope they will replace it.

Anyway, the plane went down HARD, very HARD. Nose down. The carburator cracked where you screw it onto the engine. So I'm thinking the carb has to be replaced??

When it went down the throttle was 1/4 open and some dirt got in there. How should I clean this out. Will I have to take apart the entire engine to make sure all the crap is out, or will it "burn" itself out when I crank it back up.

Is there anyway I should test the engine to make sure it's still okay, as hard as it went down I'm truly shocked that the only thing that broke was the carburetor area where the screw goes.

Last question, what would you do? The carb + shipping is about $40 , a brand new engine right now I can get for $69 . . should I get a new engine, or just the carb? I'm kinda torn... unless SIG offers to pay for the new carb (which I doubt)

Thanks in advanced, I can't wait to get this back up.. the plane WAS flying very nice.. i just get it trimmed to where it would fly str8 @ neutral setting too

Dennis
Old 08-03-2009, 07:22 PM
mustangman177

Default RE: Wreck.. Some dirt in Engine, can carb be fixed?

Doubt if Sig is going to pony up for a new engine. If so everyone is going to get in line to get new engines.

At this point, I'd just buy a new engine and use the remaining engine for parts. I've done this before too. Spare parts can come in handy some time.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:40 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

everything was going well until the wing snapped in half.
i hear ya
Old 08-04-2009, 07:39 AM
outdoorhunting

I agree with Mustangman, Go for the new motor. You will always have a need for extra parts. Sig's customer service is usually top notch, so you'll probably be OK on the wing. Good luck
Old 08-08-2009, 01:38 AM
paysonhobbies
My Feedback: (2)

As for the other engine that crashed in order to clean it here's what to do:

The entire engine needs to be disassembled down to the last bolt and gasket.

Then cut a 2 liter bottle in half and put the pieces of the engine into the bottle.

Then fill that with Nitro fuel until it covers the engine and then let it sit over night.

After that is done then you can take easch part out and spray it off with carb cleaner.

Put the entire engine back together minus the carb and put after run oil in it and turn it over with your fingers a couple of times.

Then put the engine into a zip lock bag and put it into a draw or on the shelf.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:40 AM
mustangman177

I wouldn't put the rubber O-ring (found between the carb and engine) in nitro. They will swell and will and will be hard to put the carb. back on.

Cary
Old 08-08-2009, 07:50 AM
outdoorhunting

I've had PLENTY of experience with crashed motors. I have never torn an engine down. I have never had an engine fail after using this system. Unless something is bent. At the field I will try to get all dirt out of motor but NOT turning it over!! As soon as I get home I'll take the carb & muffler off & then #1 using "carb cleaner, I'll thoroughly clean motor while turning over the motor #2 then soak it in Marvel Mystery Oil overnight ( minus the O-ring). #3 the next day I'll use the blower on my compressor to completely "blow-out the motor"( low pressure) #4 Usually I will then use the "After- run oil",put the carb back on & be ready to go.