Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

A CRASH EXPERIENCE

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

A CRASH EXPERIENCE

Old 09-01-2009, 09:04 PM
tony0707

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A CRASH EXPERIENCE

HI would like some feed back on a situation that recently happened to mea fellow at a field i was flying at crashed a very nice 1/4 scale Steermanthe plane was damaged very badly- ( most people would not rebuild it that bad ) so i walked over to him and saidIF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO REBUILD THE PLANE -AND DECIDE YOU WANT TO PART WITH IT -PLEASE LET ME KNOW- he seemed fine with that-but he was a bit upset that he had damaged the planethe conversation was very cordial- the next thing i know is his wife-i think more upset about the crash than him comes over to my friend-after i left the field and indicates i am a vulture for upsetting her husband-this was a hudge surprise to me-as i left the man more than enough leeway to say he did not have any desire to part with the planepersonnally i think she is a trouble maker as she was not present during my conversation with her husbandand now has embarased my friend -she is venting her upsetness on me and causing a problem for me when my intentions was to recycle his pile of balsa wood garbage -the way i see it-she is making her problems my problem- i have been flying ( and crashing ) for 18 yearsmy thoughts are you should not be flying anything you cannot afford to crash have i just been doing this so long that i should be more thoughtful of a crash situationafter all this time -i cannot get upset no matter what happens to a given plane-my friend felt i did the wrong thing and sited a similar incident that he said caused a big problemi must be missing something cause i just do not get all the fuss-just say you are going to rebuild ORyou do not want to part with you toy i do not undestant all this BSand i do feel very bad about all the fuss it has causedTONY
Old 09-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Villa

Default RE: A CRASH EXPERIENCE

I could not finish your story. With no punctuation it is difficult to understand.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I take it the large Stearman biplane crashed and you wanted the debris if he was not going to rebuild.

Fine and dandy.

He could simply have said: "no, I'll be rebuilding it myself." Or: "pound salt, the servos, engine and receiver are worth $1,000 and I'd be a fool to toss them."

Probably the problem arises that in asking someone with a tear just forming in his twitching left eye while leaning over the smoking hole that was seconds prior the happy result of two years of his free time and hobby allowance you just hadn't picked the best time to broach the subject.

Maybe if you had started with: "Ooh. Sorry to see you had a crash. Such a pity. Say, if you're . . . "
Old 09-01-2009, 11:01 PM
chevypower1930

tony, I read your story fine.. and I DO NOT understand the problem at all... all you were implying is that if he WAS NOT going to rebuild than you would like to take his (pretty much trash) off his hands... not a problem at all to me
Old 09-01-2009, 11:48 PM
lejongleur
My Feedback: (10)

Maybe your timing was bad. Perhaps it came across as if you asked to make a fur coat out of his pet dog right after it had been hit by a truck.

I do like your Christopher Walken-style punctuation, though.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:49 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have ended up with a few planes I didn't even want..Just because I tried to stop the owner from field stripping/trashing them. Most people would like to see the plane fly again ..even if its not theirs anymore. I think you just happened onto a misunderstanding ...I don't blame you for feeling a little put off by it.. I could tell you a story about something similar happening to me at work one time...

It would send you off the planet !

A couple times I may have come across to some people as trying to get a carcass for free, but I HATE seeing a rebuildable bird destroyed when being field stripped.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:10 AM
danmilo
My Feedback: (4)

Well, I had a young flyer come up to me after I crashed a nice TA-152. I was really down and pretty much embarrassedsince I snapped my take off right in front of more specatators than I care to imagine. My response to the lad, sure, you are welcome to it, why don't you pick up that screwdriver and help me remove my servos. I hope you get this plane flying again! He was thrilled and I found that tiny silver lining to a potential dark cloud.

BTW...lejongleur, absolutely hilarious comment ...."I do like your Christopher Walken-style punctuation, though."

Dan
Old 09-02-2009, 07:44 AM
outdoorhunting

That guy's wife would never make it with "our bunch". There's 5 or 6 of us guys that fly together. When a plane is lost, we all go to the "crash scene" to help pick up the mess & try to figure out what happened. (Whether pilot error, servo failure,etc.) We always give each other all the support needed,-& then one of the guys gets out his cell phone & plays "Taps" with bagpipes with hats over hearts) & we give "last rites" to the plane. I know it sounds brutal, but you have to know "our bunch" to appreciate it!!! Everybody laughs & tells the "offended pilot "we're sorry for the loss" & go on & fly some more. Nobody takes offense, & we make a trying situation into a enjoyable one.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:31 AM
Sandmann_AU

Hey Tony. I'm making a couple of assumptions here... first up that you were only interested in the airframe (or the remains of) and not the engine, electronics, etc... and the second that you didn't offer to take it off his hands while wielding a large club. Given those assumptions I can't see you did anything wrong, and you have every right to tell the guy's wife to back off and climb back under the rock she crawled out from.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:56 AM
outdoorhunting

If the guy is a friend & the wife nosed in, & said or did something wrong. You're in a "lose-lose" situation. You say something to her,he has no choice but to come to her defense. You lose !!! If he didn't give you an answer right away on your offer & you press it. You lose !! Probably the best way to handle it would be to just walk away.. If you don't,you could become known as the club "vulture". There's not a plane out there that's worth losing a friend over!!! Well, maybe a really nice biplane or something like that might be ...HaHaHa!!!
Old 09-02-2009, 02:42 PM
tony0707

HI GUYS-thanks to all who have replied to be clear-i was only asking about the very damaged air frame as i indicated i wanted to repair it (i would not be repairing the engine or radio equipment ) i assumed he would be removing all the parts he wanted to keep-but he could have still said -i have no desire to part with the plane at this time- THE ENDinstead his wife and him (i assume ) chose to make an unnessesary fuss over this situationat my expenseagain venting there BS in my directionbecause they couldnot nicecausing a problem were there was no needsomehow i feel they will repeat this in the future and there true colors will come to light for others to see
Old 09-02-2009, 03:38 PM
tony0707

HI I actually did tell this fellow i was very sorry for the loss of his planeand that i felt for him as i really do feel bad for anyone i see damage a planeespecially if the damage is very bad -as it was in this case i actually feel worse for other peoples crashes then i do my own as i stated before -i do not care if i put a plane in ( although i prefer not to )-because i can rebuild or repair any plane i desire to -usually in record time at this point in my RC career ( my thing is to get a given plane back in the air as soon as is possible-if i put it in-often working around the clock until 2am night after night to get her done )if i want it to fly again-simply put - it will-i do like to rebuild my aircraft -as i can never consider them a lossi am retired and have a lot of time on my hands to build-rebuild and flyi am building RC for 18 years-(and U control for another 8 years )-old school-if you did not build 18 years ago you did not fly-not like the guys today that put together an ARF -thats just finebut guys like me are a dying breedthese days my planes crash very seldom-but they still will from time to timeno big deal-in a few days it will be in the air againbut thats just me-REGARDS TONY