Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

TF.60 corsair vereses barbwire and post

Old 10-01-2009, 12:21 AM
joey_snaproll

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default TF.60 corsair vereses barbwire and post

Well ,My TF.60 corsair made out pretty well being that it torqued over into a stall in to a post and threw a barbwire fence. I expected to see many pieces when I walked up to it but got lucky, when it hit the post the wing popped of at the dowl and the plane some how took little damage when it went threw the rest of the fence .I might leave the barb wire scrapes and make them look more like bullet marks some how.Damage was a cracked cowl,smashed flaps and a good chunk of the leading edge gone, and barbwire cuts and scrapes .

Anyway I think the prop came loose,Before the fight I tried to stick start it against the compression ,but it wouldn't start.I always had use my starter before ,I taxied up and down a few times looked good and took off,pulled a little to the left and added a little more rudder and was flying and climbing at a nice level. It started to level off and drop to the right, I added more power up to 3/4 stick(supertiger 90) more smoke was coming out and still was dropping ,went full power and it seamed to fly for a second and then rolled over,to the left.So I'm thinking the prop grabbed at full power and with the speed bleeding off it torqued over to a stall/snap. when I checked the busted prop it was a bit loose and when I took it off I could see that it spun a bit on the back . so That's what I think happen.

So make sure that prop is good and tight. I hope to start to fix this up soon. I've had this plane since 1991. and I want to see if fly again. here's a few pictures of the damage and when it was undamaged .

Now that I have to do some repairs to her ,I'll throw this out there,is there anyone that has a "dion" birdcage canopy that they won't be using .I'll buy it from you ,I'd love to use it on the rebuild. Please let me know.

Thanks
Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91050.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1285961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28371.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1285962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83519.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	1285963  
Old 10-01-2009, 07:11 AM
shootnstarz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: TF.60 corsair vereses barbwire and post

Oh the humanity !!!!!

Rick
Old 10-19-2009, 08:28 AM
Nitrodan73

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

She could have flown another approach if she stayed in the air!
Old 10-22-2009, 02:40 AM
joey_snaproll

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I got a little work done on her. To fill the barb wire cuts I just sanded some balsa and took the balsa dust, packed it into the barb wire cuts and dripped some thin CA on them ,a very hard patch, and gave it a lite sand then put some glazing putty on .I just need to sand them and primer those spots .Put part of the wing back and new flaps and fixed the aileron .

Joe
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lj23983.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1299860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx77009.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1299861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58534.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1299862  
Old 10-22-2009, 10:42 AM
nitro wing

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I still have this kit, semi started on, likely to never finish it. Still have the box and decals,hardware etc.
Maybe I should let it go to someone who will enjoy it and build it. Email me if interested. I can probably get it to you 100$ shipped.
Your repairs are coming along well.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:06 AM
frenchie79

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow-Bummer This post caught my eye, I'm just getting ready to maiden a year long project of the F4U 60 size, glassed and painted and just finished some weathering. I have a YS110s for power and will make sure my prop is OK. Sorry about the mishap.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Vt58112.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1300006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12101.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1300007  
Old 10-22-2009, 12:08 PM
joey_snaproll

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the offer Nitro wing ,but I have another one NIB as well, plus just got a kmp 74"corsair and I have a TFGS 86"corsair nib with every thing to finish ,and a tail kit and plans to build one of Chad Veich corsair. So I think I'm good for now.This is now my practice plane.

Hi frenchie 79 Nice job on your plane. I like how you did the scale wing tips ,looks great. The part that sucks is I covered in mica fim ,and paint so like 15 years ago, Was thinking about stripping it and glassing it but ,now that I have all the others ,just fix and fly. I have a mustang to glass so that's my glassing practice.
I'm going to paint it at the panel lines and make it look like parts were stripped off another corsair,so the color differance will look alright. Since I have to clear coat I think I'm going to try a do some weathering and see what happens. It's amazing how different you feel after it goes in and it doesn't have that new plane smell anymore, untill you paint it again. That fear of it going in just isn't that bad anymore.

Frenchie79 after looking at you pictures some more with the exhaust you did it will be a perfect for mr to help hide the damage I did. I love these forums ,helps anyone with the problems they might be having .

Thanks guy's

Joe
Old 10-22-2009, 01:04 PM
frenchie79

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sometimes it's nice to have just a kick around plane-I hear ya. This was also my first Glass Job with Klass Kote paint, weathering ect... I wanted the practice for a 1/5 scale mustang I was going to start this winter, but i'm now side tracked with a 1/3 scale Sopwith Pup, then on to the stang after Toledo show. Good luck with your project.

Search this Thread