Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

SIG Somethin' Extra crashed

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

SIG Somethin' Extra crashed

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 05:58 PM
P-Y
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIG Somethin' Extra crashed

Hi,
I wrote that thread 2 weeks ago [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9115062/tm.htm]SIG Somethin Extra maiden flight.[/link] but I just crashed my Somethin' Extra this morning.
I took off but the plane was uncontrollable. It was spinning to the right and I tried to counterbalance it but I couldn't. Then it suddenly went down in a spin and disappeared from my sight.
I found it on the field on he other side of the road, nose in the mud and tail straight up. It wasn't easy to take it off from the mud.
Only the nose is damaged. After cleaning the engine, it seems to be OK.
The wings and the tails are intacts, or almost: in the left wing, the servo is not in his tray.
And I think, it wasn't in his tray when I took off. It was probably broken during transport. This is the only reason which could explain that crash. It was my first flight of the day and the plane was trimmed properly.
Here's some photos that I took at home.

Now, Let's repair it !!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89328.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	1287484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66841.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1287485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64821.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	1287486  
Old 10-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Muroc1

Default RE: SIG Somethin' Extra crashed

I hate seeing a SSE in that condition. I crashed mine, same color as yours, this spring. The only thing that survived were the wings. I have yet to order another fuselage for mine.

Good luck on your repairs.

Frank
Old 10-05-2009, 09:24 AM
SteveR Rambin

Hey Rip
Boy do I feel your pain. My new SSE went in exactly as yours did, spinning to the right uncontrollably. It was easily rebuilt but I learned a lot from this wreck. I have been using a 2.4 GHz radio and made a mistake routing the antenna's. Posted the problem and had a lot of great responses from some really knowledgeable folks. Don't know if you have a 2.4 radio but if you do take a look at the great advice I got. Hope it helps.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8952785/tm.htm
Old 10-05-2009, 01:34 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Sorry to hear about the crash, but it doesn't look too bad. You should be able to fix her in a couple evenings.[]
Old 10-05-2009, 04:13 PM
P-Y

I already started the repairs, but it would have been easier with the blueprints. It should be fixed by the end of the week.
The tube which hold the wings is bent. What's the easiest way to put it straight again?

Steve, I have a 2.4 radio, but I think that the problem was coming from the servo in the left wing. I should have verified my plane more carefully...
Old 10-06-2009, 08:21 AM
hugger-4641

Straightening bent tubing is almost an art as opposed to science. I have good success at it because I had a good teacher, my grandad was a machinist/welder/ millwright etc. Showing is easier than explaining but I'll try!
I would start by finding a couple pieces of solid shaft or very sturdy metal that is as close to the ID of the tubing as possible, and about twice as long., You might get lucky and be able to use a wratchet handle, tire iron, piece of black iron pipe, etc. Otherwise, you should go buy a couple pieces of solid shaft stock. Insert one piece of shaft VERY securely in a vice and slide the bent tubing as far onto it as it will go. Insert another piece of metal into the other end of the tubing. Use it as a handle to GENTLY bend the tubing back in the direction it needs to go to straighten the tube at the point where it contacts the piece you have secured in the vice. Do this repeatedly and gently while using a small mallet or ball pean hammer to tap on the tubing where it contacts the secured piece of shaft. You will have to get a feel for how much to bend the tubing and how hard to use the hammer. You want to hit it just hard enough to help "pean" out the creases of the bent tubing around the shaft while you work the "handle" and push the tubing closer to the vice. But don't hit so hard that you flatten the tubing or bend it worse! If the tubing is very thick, you may also have to use a little heat from some kind of torch, but I don't think you should have to do so with this tubing. This is where the "art" comes in, you just have to learn by trial and error, otherwise called "experience"!
Old 10-07-2009, 09:44 AM
P-Y

Thanks Jerry for your explanations. Now that I know the full process, I 'm thinking that I shoud probably buy a new Wing tube... I don't have all the equipment to fix it properly and buy a new one will cost less that 20 $CAD.
Thanks again.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:29 PM
P-Y

Hi,
I had some time this week to work on the re-construcion(I stayed at home one day because I was sick, or at least my plane was... ).
Here's some pics. It's not finished, but I did the biggest part of the job.
I finally ordered a new wing tube.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31797.jpg
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	1291103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21319.jpg
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	1291104  
Old 10-09-2009, 03:54 PM
hugger-4641

Looks good! You should be done by the time all this rain is gone!
Old 10-11-2009, 02:54 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ouch
Old 10-11-2009, 05:45 PM
F4U Corsair
My Feedback: (22)

Looking good! From the way the firewall popped out in the crash you might consider pinning it from the sides (2-3 tooth picks on each side or 1/8" hardwood dowels work well). A good reminder to check all of your controls before takeoff, I usually stop right at the taxi/flight line and wiggle all controls....also a good way to check and see if you are on high or low rates before takeoff. DG
Old 10-12-2009, 09:04 AM
SteveR Rambin

Great looking job Rip. It appears that you'll have it looking like new in no time. One of the funnier pieces of advice I got was that you have to "Ugly them up a little before they fly good". Must be true because I'm having a blast flying mine. Good Luck
Old 10-13-2009, 12:29 AM
P-Y

Hi,
I just repaired one of the wing: I cut the monokote to repair the servo tray and discoverd that one of the ribs was destroyed. I repaired it.
Now, I'm waiting for my new wing tube. i'll post some pictures soon.
StikDude, I promise I'll check all my controls more carefully...[&:]
Old 10-21-2009, 06:27 AM
FentonFlyer
My Feedback: (11)

I feel your pain brutha. I watched in horror as my kit built, 4.5lb, electric SSE piled in after an outside loop. The culprit? Elevator servo horn came off due to a loose screw on a metal gear servo during the full down deflection. Preflight, preflight,preflight!!!!