Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Mysterious Hangar 9 Hellcat crash

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Mysterious Hangar 9 Hellcat crash

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 07:43 PM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mysterious Hangar 9 Hellcat crash

Was flying my H-9 Hellcat this afternoon, and all of a sudden, it went straight down from about 150 feet....straight in. It was ugly....no chance of a rebuild. We tried to determine the cause, but it was so badly destroyed, we gave up. I plugged all the servos back in to the receiver, and everything worked as it should. All the control rods were pulled loose, but the impact probably did that. The only logical reason that I can come up with is that the elevator control rod came loose. The plane was flying straight and level, and all of a sudden nosed straight in. I had no control of the elevator at all. Oh well... Que sera sera.....
Old 10-11-2009, 07:55 PM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

Default RE: Mysterious Hangar 9 Hellcat crash

I once watched an almost new, older Top Flite Zero go in just like that. (old kit, new build). His was elevator flutter. We heard the flutter of course. There is also mechanical failure. Another friend lost his Bridi Air Cruiser to a stripped clevis Rod. Steel Clevis, brass threads on the rod. The brass threads let go, was elevator of course. Also check your servo real good for operation and stripped gears, not always obvious. Did the plane DANCE any, like a radio hit ?

Vince
Old 10-11-2009, 08:01 PM
ScottMcM

No dancing at all. I had just done a split-s, and was coming back across, flying straight and level, and it suddenly went straight down. I had no control at all of the elevator.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

Scott,
I suspect one of three things: (1) Elevator push rod either broke, stripped from a clevis, or became disconnected, servo gear stripped, elevator unhinged or came unattached from the control horn. It happens. I have been flying R/C for over 17 years. I lose one every once in a while. Don't fly more than you are prepared to lose. Preventive maintenance is KEY to keeping your aircraft longer. Full scale pilots and mechanics do this to full scale aircraft. R/C aircraft are no different. When something isn't right, don't fly it until it's fixed or replaced. Safety first, maintenance second, flying and fun after that.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:26 AM
ScottMcM

Yeah, an old rc'er once told me that if you're not prepared to crash it, then leave it home. Losing the plane doesn't bother me nearly as much as not knowing why. The plane was basically new. I had flown it on two or three previous occasions. Zero problems on the previous flights. It crashed on the first flight of the day, after about 5 minutes flying time. I always check the plane out as I'm assembling it for the day's flying.....I guess I need to start checking a little closer. I was going to maiden my new Top Flite Cessna 182, with a Saito FA-90T twin cylinder engine, but decided not to when the onboard glow would intermittently (sp) stop working on one cyl. It would drop a cyl on taxi tests, so I decided not to chance flying it until I find out why. So yes, I agree that maintenence is the key, and I never fly if I have any doubts about the plane. I guess that's why this crash bothers me like it does.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:55 AM
Villa

Hi ScottMcM
I lost a 60 size Sig Pattern plane the same way. I concluded that the nylon clevis to the elevator had opened. It was the one that came with the kit. I immediately changed to the Sullivan metal clevis with locking clip. I also use the Dubro clevis with locking clip.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:30 AM
ScottMcM

I imagine I'll be chnging the clevis on my remaining planes pretty soon. I'd really rather not have this happen again[]
Old 10-12-2009, 01:37 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how soon after the pull out from the split s did the plane nose in?sounds like the g load on the elevator for the pull out overstessed a critical part.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:50 PM
ScottMcM

The nose-in was just a few seconds after the split s. I'm thinking along those same lines...that something got overstressed. Doesn't make sense though, all my other H-9 warbirds regularly do the split s without a hitch. I wasn't flying it hard at all.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:49 AM
FHD

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH A CORSAIR,ON TAKE OFF IT PULLED STARIGHT UP AND SPIRALED IN.
I CHECKED ALL THE FUNCTIONS AND EVERY THINK WAS OK
I REBUILT THE CORSAIR.
ON THE TEST FLIGHT IT DID THE SAME THING.
AGAIN EVERY THING WORKED OK.
SO THE BEST THING I DID WAS TO JUMP ON THE RX.
I BOUGHT A NEW RX AND USED ALL THE STUFF FROM THE TWO CRASHES AND THE NEXT AIRPLANE FLYS JUST GREAT.
THE RX THAT I THINK CAUSED ALL THE PROBLEM BRAND NEW ON 72.
HOPE THIS HELPS.
TC
Old 11-03-2009, 10:23 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not know what happen-and it would really be nothing but speculation-without examination of the wreckage at the scene which usually gives the best conclusions.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:29 AM
ScottMcM

The wreckage didn't really say much. It was torn up really bad. All the control rods were torn loose, but from the way it behaved right before the crash, I'm guessing the elevator rod came loose before impact. All the electronics checked out immediately after the crash.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:51 PM
tony0707

HI AFTER ALL TRIMMING ADJUSTMENTS ARE MADE YOU SHOULD SOLDER ANY METAL CLEVISES TO THE METAL ROD OR THEY WILL STRIP OVER TIMEI AM USING HAYES CLEVISES -THEY HAVE A METAL PIN-AND HAVE NEVER HAD A CLEVIS GO BAD IN 20 YEARSI JUST NEVER HAD ANY FAITH IN THE NYLON CLEVISES THAT COME WITH MOST KITSSO I JUST CHANGED THEM FROM DAY ONE TONY
Old 04-02-2010, 11:55 AM
gmateer

I just had the same thing happen to my Hanger 9 Hellcat. I only had 17 flights on it. Iwas in a right turn when the plane pitched straight down and went in. When I examined the wreckage I noticed that the elevators and most of the horizontal stabilizer were missing (only the center section remained glued to the fuse). Both haves of the stab failed exactly the same way, leaving a small piece of the leading edge attached to the center piece. It sure looks like a flutter problem to me.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:23 PM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

I had one (H-Cat) that broke the horizontal stab on the 4th flight. I was just flying at 1/2 throttle and enjoying the plane and running in the engine when I heard the flutter sound and was able to land it with out further damage. The stab broke in the rib notch on the leading edge. the notch was cut over 1/2 way thru the leading edge wood. I don't know how it lasted as long as it did. At the time I had 3 other H-9 warbirds, now I have none and and would not spend a red cent on another. My opinion is that it broke first and fluttered second.
Fred
Old 04-12-2010, 02:24 AM
willig10

Just curious here. Are you flying FM or 2.4? It is very possible that if you were flying 2.4 if the battery went into brown out and the receiver went into Fail safe mode it might cause what is described in the original post.

Just wondering if after the crash you checked the battery volts as well.

Glenn
Old 04-12-2010, 05:23 AM
ScottMcM

I was flying FM. I'm beginning to wonder if I didn't get "hit". One of my flying buddies lost a plane yesterday in the same area, in exactly the same manner. It went straight down from straight and level flight. Another pilot took several minor hits in that same area a couple of weeks ago.... In fact, there is a history of problems, all at the same end of the field. No one hardly ever has problems in any other area, and the guys flying 2.4 never have any problems. The only thing at that end of the field is a buried telephone line...