Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

plane vs seagulls

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

plane vs seagulls

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 10:46 AM
divelife20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plane vs seagulls

Last weekend I was flying my Super Cub LP w/ floats at a lake (the lake was somewhat small and at the beach set apart from the ocean by a big sand damn). Normally there are lots of seagulls in the lake, and by lots I mean probably close to a thousand seagulls in the small lake. Usually they aren't a problem, but last weekend, I flew my plane out towards the ocean, then made a tight rudder turn towards the lake, dropped in altitude, and made a low pass over the seagulls. The hundreds (or thousands) of seagulls immediately started to fly, I tried to gain altitude, but seagulls had knocked into my plane and made it roll (the super cub lp is only 3 channel). My beloved plane did a nose dive, straight into the lake. The nose ended up hitting the lake's edge, just inches away from the water, and the plane bounced/fell into the water.

The resulting damage: new cowl, new receiver/esc, new battery, new floats and new landing gear Now I'm trying to figure out how to rig an emergency parachute to my plane so if this happens again, I hopefully won't have to practically buy a new plane. (BTW I know a parachute probably wouldn't help against seagulls, but it would help against really strong gusts of wind when I break the treeline... that has also been a major problem with this flight area)
Old 10-20-2009, 12:28 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: plane vs seagulls

Coulda been worse...coulda been a pelican. Just ask Hannes Arch...

Old 10-20-2009, 01:06 PM
Sessholvlaru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"and made a low pass over the seagulls." Um....asking for it?
Old 10-20-2009, 02:41 PM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

Not only that but it's illegal to harass the seagulls.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:56 PM
BIG4D

That's no seagull. Looks like a Blue Harron, or some sort of Stork or maybe even a Pellican.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:02 PM
Sessholvlaru

That's no moon, it's a space station. And that pic is of the Red Bull air races, not the foolish actions of the thread starter.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:40 PM
Srewinkel

that is a funny story. lol. you didn't land in a river?? Flying in an empty field by my house, i like to chase the birds around.. (Yes i know it is illegal) One evening I was flying my 40 rapture, and noticed a bird off to the south, put the plane in a hard turn, and set a good intercept point, not considering what might happen if I made impact, and full throttle, Came surprising close, and realized that it wasn't a bird at all. Some other idiot came out at the other end, about 100 yds, and started to fly his park flyer war bird. Think i would of won that contest.. lol. guy didn't have the decency to come tell me he was going to start flying..

I can visualize all those birds taken off, and you thinking holy sh*t. lol
Old 10-31-2009, 06:05 AM
avicom
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deleted
Old 10-31-2009, 10:50 AM
shd3920

Sorry to say you got what you deserved and can not feel sorry for you. Harassing the seagulls and then wondering why they attacked back. Every kit has the warning "THIS IS NOT A TOY". Why were you treating it as though it was?
Old 10-31-2009, 09:43 PM
oldvet70

ORIGINAL: Srewinkel

Some other idiot came out at the other end.
Indeed!!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Sessholvlaru

Fools like these ruin the hobby for the rest of us...
Old 11-01-2009, 12:11 AM
oldvet70

They most certainly do. Maybe they should take up quilting.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:08 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Boy, you guys really know how to put a guy down for making a mistake. What happened to constructive criticism
Old 11-01-2009, 05:22 PM
Sessholvlaru

Knowingly flying your plane over or directly at birds is not a mistake.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:26 PM
shd3920

ORIGINAL: scottrc

Boy, you guys really know how to put a guy down for making a mistake. What happened to constructive criticism
That was NOT a mistake, it was WILLFUL and WANTON harassment, and disrespect in conduct in RCing and giving a bad name to fellow RCers.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:52 PM
Srewinkel

Your right these planes are not toys, flying should be taken very serious, but have some fun for god sake. Don't do anything stupid, and respect others.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:55 PM
shd3920

ORIGINAL: Srewinkel

Don't do anything stupid, and respect others.
You don't find chasing down birds to be stupid? I agree, have some fun flying. But you must also do so SAFELY and RESPECTFULLY, which I don't find the OP's actions to be justifiable. I stick to my opinions.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:26 AM
Srewinkel

Actually you could view it as learning different manuevers. you would be amazed on what you learn by making sharp turns, rolls, and climbs. but i guess making slow turning patterns with a loop once in awhile is cool to. fact of the matter is people have their own opinions and ways to live their life. It was a funny story, laugh or don't, I don't care.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:42 AM
shd3920

Don't see how you can find it funny. You can learn different manuevers without chasing down living creatures. Whats next, dogs and cats or worse?
Old 11-02-2009, 03:43 AM
shd3920

Maybe this thread should be closed before opinions get ugly. Point was made and opinions given, this can go on indefinitely.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:12 PM
ArrowNaughtic

The problem here lies with the OP's lack of judgement. The second and even more disturbing portion of this lies within another members ability to see humor in that situation. I remember a forum member relating a similar story over in the heli section. He was hovering his heli on the beach and his heli was attacked by a seagull killing the bird and causing significant damage to his heli. He was man enough to let the game dept know that he had an accident.........they promptly thanked him and then ticketed him for killing a PROTECTED species. He wasn't trying to harrass the birds, he was simply enjoying a open space to practice with his machine. What makes his story different from this nitemare is that he actually admitted to his mistake and realized that finding a SAFE place to fly is as important as finding an open space to fly.
The point of everyones disgust with the OP and the other poster was already made by shd3920 and I suspect his feelings on this matter are shared by 99.9% of the RC community. Its obvious some of the members of this forum are a little blurred on thier interpretation of what constitutes safe and responsible behavior. I don't believe this thread should be closed but should be shared with all the online RC communitys out there................ let the actions of one person stand up to the test of the communitys scrutiny. I think most will find that sort of behavior best left to infants and the weak of mind.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Sessholvlaru

Excellent post ArrowNaughtic. My field is actually in the middle of an area (Meadowlands) that is frequented by bird watchers and we make a serious point of avoiding birds and respecting their presence, even when the Geese make a toilet out of our field. If either of these guys flew by us and did this, they would risk loosing the field for everyone else. In these times where more and more fields are being lost for various reasons, it is OUR responsibility to do everything we can to protect this wonderful hobby.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Srewinkel

I'm not out to constantly harass the birds.  Maybe I should stop driving for risk of hitting rabbits, mice, or any other living object for that matter.  The main complaint i hear from people starting out in the hobby, and even veterans, is the constant harassment from "experts"  Fields and clubs are closing, not entirely because of actions by a few, but rather by lack of membership, which brings in money.  People don't want to join a club to be told what they can and can't do.  Every time someone post a story of a crash, that was caused by something they overlooked, you get many responses from the "experts" telling them how unsafe and stupid their actions were. The death of this great hobby won't be caused by someone chasing birds, but rather people not wanting to have the "experts" constantly telling them they are stupid for mistakes, and simple non harming actions.
The sea gull story does not hold much merit.  If that was in fact the case of the operator being cited for killing the mormon eagle, there should be a national investigation for all aircraft hitting birds.  Would make that american airline pilot who crash landed in the hudson after a bird strike, not a hero rather a criminal. In the state of colorado if you hit a dear, or any other animal that cause damage to your vehicle, you have a case against the state.  They failed to keep their animal off your highway...
This thread should die.  The OP was punished by receiving a damaged plane.  I'm not saying harassing birds is right, and in fact it is illegal.  I find humor in the story.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:40 PM
ArrowNaughtic

I am glad you find humor in what others would call "criminal"
original: Srewinkel
The OP was punished by receiving a damaged plane. I'm not saying harassing birds is right, and in fact it is illegal
The fact that you are here trying to justify (to whom?) those actions only lead me to believe that you are in fact a troll.
The religious slur made by yourself also makes your opinion less credible
original: Srewinkel
The sea gull story does not hold much merit. If that was in fact the case of the operator being cited for killing the mormon eagle, there should be a national investigation for all aircraft hitting birds.
Welcome to my iggy list!

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 11-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Srewinkel

Cool, now i don't have to worry about being criticised for taking off in a high crosswind at half throttle,  God knows that would be unsafe and dangerous.  At least for one of these "experts" on here.
What a waste of time trying to express my opinions and thoughts about the hobby, especially when we have you "experts" on here to stomp down anything you "experts" don't agree with.  Probably a liberal as well. Last post by me ever on this ignorant forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.