Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

MAAAANN NOT AGAIN!!!

Old 10-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Vincef18

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default MAAAANN NOT AGAIN!!!

So I have been flying for the last 3 years and its been awesome. I recently bought a QUICKIE 500. Put it together... strengthened the joints, balanced it and man it looked cool. Winds were out of the North so thats the direction I took off. After leaving the ground it seemed like it didn't have enough aileron authority to stay straight and level. I know it was balanced laterally as well. It wouldn't come left. tried to slow down and land it but it hit the ground and... Man it disintagrated! Im so mad. I put so much time and effort into it and now I can't even figure out what happened to learn a good lesson. Times like this... I just want to quit! My goal is/was to eventually get into Jets sometime this next year. I have had so many uneventful flights. Now I don't know what to think. Any advise... I feel so frusturated!!! Thanks for the help... []
Old 10-24-2009, 08:58 PM
TedMo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: MAAAANN NOT AGAIN!!!

I have had so many uneventful flights. That statement seems to say something wrong with my radio, batteries, or lack of ability. Do you range check? Do you properly charge and check batteries?
Old 10-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Vincef18

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, I did a range check, antenna down and about 100' away, I charged the battery and checked the voltage prior to takeoff. The winds were at 7 Knots gusting to 15. It seems like this was maybe the contributing factor to lack of control authority. Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:44 AM
ScottMcM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I lost a H-9 Hellcat a couple of weeks ago. It just nosed straight down from a couple hundred feet....no elevator response at all. Only the third or fourth time I'd flown it. Damage was so severe that I was not able to determine exactly what caused the crash. I gave it a Viking's funeral, and moved on. I'm sure that there will be more unexplained crashes in my future, but I'm not gonna let that stop me from enjoying this great hobby. You should do the same...
Old 10-25-2009, 07:59 AM
Villa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Vincef18
I have seen similar situations that ended up being the aileron servo was reversed. Many planes can be landed with using only the rudder in place of the ailerons. I practice that with all of my planes just in case.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:07 AM
AA5BY

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Experience I think tells me that those who can accept a crash without too much grief, stay with RC airplanes and enjoy the hobby. Those that suffer a lot of grief with a loss of a plane, often move on to something less painful. Man doesn't stay where a lot of pain is suffered, especially when there is an easy choice of doing something else. The rewards of RC are rich however, with great fraternity, enjoyment of flying, building and maintenance and repairs. I hope you stay with it... but do so only if the crashes can be accepted without serious regret.

It sounds very much like mechanical or building failure of some sort. Unless the Quickie 500 has changed from the one that I build twenty five years ago and still have, it has strip ailerons controlled by torsion rods and a single servo. If one of the ailerons pulled out of hinges or something fouled a torsion rod, or a servo gear failed... then it would be disaster.

If it was the maiden, I'd also suspect a warped wing. The Quickie 500 has a fairly fast roll response and any significant warp would be detrimental. Warp can be checked by eying the wing from a position aft of the wing and positioning ones vision so that it is aligned with the bottom plane of the foil and then scanning ones eyes back and forth to the two wing tips. Do the two bottom planes match or are they dissimilar?
Old 10-25-2009, 08:47 AM
aerowoof

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

iv'e seen where the torque rods would hit the wing mounting block and give very little deflection unles the block was relieved.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:07 AM
Vincef18

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

AA5BY,

You are right. I definitely will stick to the hobby. I love RC flying. It is worth the risk. It just sucks to crash. I checked the wing, but it wasn't warped. I'de imagine it would have been more responsive at high speeds. When it began to turn I immediately let off the throttle and tried to land it. As it got slower it became less responsive naturally. What do you think?
Old 10-25-2009, 09:50 AM
Prairie Mike

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sounds like this was a maiden flight. It always sucks to lose an aircraft. It's hard, but I try the attitude, "Oh boy, I get to build another airplane!". Can't practice that until a day or two later. Gotta mourn the loss for the first few days.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:32 AM
AA5BY

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Vince, the quickie 500 is a pylon racer restricted to a minimum of 500 sq in and thus is designed for low drag and speed and ease of build so thus built much like a stick. While it has a fair amount of wing for its weight, the foil is very thin and it gets its lift at speeds so lands hot, sinking much faster than a trainer when power off. In its day it made a reasonably good intermediate trainer as an alternative to a stick. It had a little more stability because of generous dihedral but it was quick on control movements. Its not as good of aerobatic trainer however as a stick because of the generous dihedral as the inverted and roll character is not good.

Here is a story that might be of interest. I was out of the hobby for about fifteen years after flying a great deal for ten. When getting back in, the quickie 500 was used as my reintroduction plane as it had been stored in the barn and was still in good shape. With a hot 40 it is fairly fast and I guess I set it up with too much throws because the first flight was really wicked. First, I was not used to the control trims on the new radio. Second, I couldn't hardly get my fingers off the sticks long enough to find the trim pots because the plane was quick and the slight trim issues at neutral stick manifest themselves into a lot of pitch and roll. No crash but feared doing so because it was hairy before getting it trimmed. The reason for bringing this up is because I've built a lot of planes and maidened a lot for others and in my memory... the Quickie 500 is one of if not the hardest to get trimmed as its fast and sensitive.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:31 PM
tony0707

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi were the aileron throws checked carefully on the bench in the shop for direction -recomended amount of travel and any servo bindingrod binding that may be taking placedid you forget the servo arm center screw ?did a clevis break or strip check all throw directions before your first flight of the daywere you on the correct computer channel for that planejust stuff that comes to mind and my .02 cents for what it is worth
Old 11-06-2009, 04:04 PM
dignlivn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just curious as to what radio you where using ?

Bob
Old 12-14-2009, 11:30 PM
rccrazedman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hello . I have seen these things or at least one in a hobby shop one time. I didn't buy it because the assembled model looked beat up hard. anyhow I am into weird and unusual models. can someone tell me where I can get one of these or at lease if someone out there has the plans they wouldn't mind copying at their nearest kinkos and selling me hopefully at least with the critical information from the instructions book like the cg rec throw and the like. that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:43 PM
jimmyjames213

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

if i had to guess you were flying the plane to slow, when you started turning down/cross wind that didnt help the problem, cutting throttle definately didnt help. you were flying the plane as slow as it could go, when the throttle was cut that was all she needed.....crash.
if your aileron's arnt sensitive enough cutting speed only hurts the problem, this is one time gunning the engine would have helped.

Search this Thread