Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How to fix muffler?

My Chipmunk had a rough landing and the Bison Pitts muffler took it hard. Can I fix the muffler with a little JB Weld? I heard that JB is not good for vibrating services. Is there something better to use? Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge96808.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	1333200   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zu65015.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	1333201   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qo40210.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	1333202  
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandpa. Not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his plane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: How to fix muffler?

In case you are wondering, here is what my Chip looked like right before I damaged the muffler.

Name:	Ec88136.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	1333212  
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandpa. Not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his plane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry about the Chipmunk. She was a beauty.

I've tried to JB stingers back onto mufflers before with little or no success. They usually last 2 or 3 flights then come loose. Maybe I wasn't doing it correctly.
    K-Bob. The K is silent. \"The only time you can have too much fuel is if you are on fire\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Same thing happened to my Chippy. Although, luckly, it was an easy repair.. Same damage to the muffler. I found a mixable epoxy called "PC epoxy". It's the putty type that you roll together until it is thoroughly mixed. I cleaned both piecs with a wire brush & wiped down with alcohol. I then just worked the epoxy into & around the pipes making a small bead. I let it set for a couple of days & I've had about ten flights on it, no problems yet. I got it at a "Farmer's Supply" but , I'm sure it's availble elseware . Good Luck !!
    Too much horsepower- Just right !!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How about silver solder?

Bob
    Club Saito #61 Cub Brotherhood #107
    Spitfire Brotherhood #143
    Kadet Brotherhood #3

whats it made of ? if its steel silver solder or brass
    take it to a radiator shop they can solder it on in a heartbeat for probably a freebie or a few bucks
    nice plane sorry for your loss
    The 2 most abundant things in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity and I don\'t know which is the more.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the ideas. I believe that the muffler and stingers are made of aluminum.

How does the silver solder thing work? I have "silver bearing solder" that I've used on plumbing. Is that the same thing. I also have 60/40, etc. Do I just heat the assembly with my propane torch and sweat the solder into the joint? Any flux (ie acid type)?

Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh good Lord, cover her up. If you have a blacks smith shop in your area, stop in show it to them, they usually can tell you what it's made of, and can usually fix it for you. Tig weld whatever it takes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Heyrandy,

I take back what I said about Silver Solder. I was talking about Stay Brite Silver Solder available from TH. I've used it for control rods and never had a problem. I've never used it on a muffler though.

I just read the instructions on the bottle and it specifically states that it is NOT recommended for aluminum. I doubt that your muffler is steel (which the solder would work on), but a magnet will tell you that.

For anyone who is interested, you can look at Stay Brite at http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFS75&P=ML

Bob
    Club Saito #61 Cub Brotherhood #107
    Spitfire Brotherhood #143
    Kadet Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had exactly the same thing happen to exactly the same muffler mounted on a super tigre 60 in a Harmon Rocket 3. I've had excellent results using Permatex Cold Weld Bonding Compound. It mixes up like a two part epoxy and sets in 15 minutes, and once set you can even cut theads in this stuff if you want. I've put several hours of flight time on mine since repairing and it hasn't budged. I did email the guy who owns Bisson and he recommended TIG welding but I didn't know anyone who could/would do it for me. The trick is to make sure it's REALLY clean - shine it up with a wire brush or some fine sandpaper before you glue it.
    Matt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just take it to a welding shop. It will be an easy repair for an experienced welder who knows how to fix thin aluminum. It probably would do fine with just some tacks all around and then seal it with the epoxy putty.
    No kid, I said break ground and fly into the wind!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use a product called "alumiweld" No flux required and it melts at 730 degrees Fahrenheit. Do a google search on "alumiweld" I have some that I bought at harbor freight tools. and ace hardware sells it also.

It is an awesome product, I welded a busted up crankcase with it once and got another year out of an engine.

Here.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44810

It is a little tricky to use, welding aluminum can be hard because it oxidizes almost instantly, just use a stainless steel brush and keep scratching the surface of your muffler with the rod to keep breaking through the oxidation, then it will flow just like solder. and I prefer to use mapp gas instead of propane it burns hotter.
    Harken to ye N00bs! Thee shalt lock thine tail wheel afore attempting to leave thine surly bonds!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Alumiweld from harbor frieght is the only way to fix your muffler. Its extremely easy to use and has like 30000 pounds tensil strength. Staybright and silver solders only work on brass copper and steals. Show us how it turns out when you fix it.

Evan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds like it is worth a try. Will let you all know later.

Thanks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Barbie is a little decapitated. lol
    Everyone crashes, its the matter of whose is cooler when it does!
    MUS Rebuild: http://tiny.cc/D6vWj

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ive had good sucess with J.B. weld joining the muffler halves on a magnum .52 f.s., not pretty but still together!
    Bill.
    It is always better to be under the gun, than in front of it!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used the Alumiweld rods from Harbor Frieght and a paint can opener tool to scrape the weld flat. Not exactly professional quality but is airtight and seems good enough. I used MAPP gas but maybe a little too hot as the muffler and stingers deformed a bit. I would probably try just propane first next time.

The Alumiweld is cool stuff and will likely find other uses for it. I would suggest practicing with other things first as initially I had huge globs of it on my muffler. Eventually I figured out how to scrape the excess off.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Name:	Nl30748.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	1351780