Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

12' Telemaster Rebuild

My bud, Yuma Mike, had a really heartbreaking crash of his beautiful huge Telemaster....the beasty lost a wing and absolutely would not fly with the remaining wing. It came in pretty hard and is now ready for rebuild. As a side note, we found the cause of the mishap to be that a lifting strut was torn apart at the lower attach fitting and without the strut, the wing parted company. Pics show Yuma Mike with what is left of the fuse and pics of the failed strut.

Anyway, we will document bringing this big fellow back into the air again. Stay with us.[8D]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nl30372.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	1338699   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy78388.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	1338700   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pu52202.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	1338701  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 12' Telemaster Rebuild

as for the strutts use glass cloth and resin or epoxy on them, they do get alot of stress and it looks like they where covered in solar film or equivalant, if i was building/ repairing that id be putting the glass skin on them for extra strength. good look and will be following this one[8D]
    Fly it like there's going to be no tomorrow..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ouch....
    Everyone crashes, its the matter of whose is cooler when it does!
    MUS Rebuild: http://tiny.cc/D6vWj

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Those are great flying planes. Hope it flies even better when fixed.

Tim
    Tim B.
    My team

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I began this rebuild by laying out all the bits and pieces that were available and spending time feeling out which pieces could be reused and just how (and in what order) should I proceed with the rebuild. Pics show pieces layed out....lots of forward fuse parts missing.....and the wing center section taking shape. Next step is to build some sort of jig to maintain accurate fuselage alignments while I splice in new formers, bulkheads, etc. Mike brought over the plans which will be a big help....This is a HUGE airplane!!

Name:	Nk28199.jpg 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	1346561   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ki18384.jpg 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	1346562   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig11631.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	1346563   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca81143.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	1346564  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Laying out what was left of the fuselage over the plans to locate and glue up formers, bulkheads, etc did not seem practical, even though this method is about all I am familiar with. So, I strapped the fuselage down on a table, making sure it was square and level, and then after making lots of measurements from the plans, built a jig to fix the location of the firewall. Once the firewall and fuse were in alignment, etc, I installed forward main longerons, spliced into existing longerons in the fuse.

Now, with the firewall and longerons in place, I began to reconstruct the forward fuse inner structure. The plan is to complete this and then splice in the fuse skin last over the structure that I am now working on. I intend to install a YS 120 for power, so the nose section forward of the firewall will be extended and altered a bit to make it fit.

I was able to save and reglue the landing gear blocks and wing center section plywood pieces, once they had been scraped clean of old glue, etc.

Pics tell the story. Comments/critiques are welcome.[8D] (This is one BIG BEAST!!)

Russ v.

Name:	Da83398.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	1348941   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh16525.jpg 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	1348942   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nl31071.jpg 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	1348943   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rp43991.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	1348944  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just a question... I am unfamiliar with the construction of the Telemaster. Is it all sticks and no formers? While formers help with allignment sticks sure are easier to reproduce and it looks like you are pretty meticulous about the allignment. Great work!
    He who dies with the most toys wins!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Russ:

Mike here, Thought I would drop you a note about the rebuild. It's a big-big plane and if you need someone to lift it off the bench just call on me. Keep up the good work and remember, gravity rules. By the way I forgot to mention that I did a little Soft Shoe on that side of the nose cheek.

Check out the first build of the 12' Telemaster
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xn3DMqN4kE
    YumaMike
    Quality is Built in, You Get What you Pay For.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

67: You are right, the Telly does not have conventional bulkhead/formers...and I think that is the reason that the forward portion of the fuse was so totally destroyed. I am now creating bulkheads out of 1/4" aircraft grade plywood that will transmit and absorb loads between the landing gear blocks and the wing support blocks. This will give the forward portion of the fuse a lot more internal strength and guard against my occasional hard landings.

To hold the weight down a bit, I took a unibit and cut lightening holes in the ply bulkhead at F-3...(pictured).

What a huge creation!! I feel like a carpenter or cabinetmaker. But this is fun.[8D]

Name:	Ge95762.jpg 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	1349236  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks like its going good Post more pics as u repair the damage maybe one when complete. Oh yea dont forget to pack the chute for the next fly LOL. Good Luck Been There Done It!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks good. What engine was on this plane? You are making me want to go out and buy the kit.
    He who dies with the most toys wins!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I started with a 50cc Turnigy engine from Hobby City then I removed it and installed the electric motor ESC and a 10 cell 5000ma battery system. I like the electric system better, no virbration, gas smell, no clean up problems and I can use my FPV Camera systems.
    YumaMike
    Quality is Built in, You Get What you Pay For.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I finally finished the framing and then added in 3/8" and 1/2" filler pieces as well as the cheeks. It is now looking more like a (very large) model airplane. I also replaced the forward upper wing mount plate with a new plate that interlocks into the upper cabin structure a little bit better. Sure don't want to lose another wing!

Pics tell some of the story.

Name:	By76486.jpg 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	1350538   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ec89383.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	1350539   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj22519.jpg 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	1350540   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ec89068.jpg 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	1350541  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks good

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was able to straighten the landing gear wires and after bending up new attaching clips, have the monster up on 6" tires. I think I'll name it TeleBruiser!!

There is still a lot to do with the fuse: outer skin replaced, upper forward wing center section and windshield built, hatches made up, etc. At this point, I'm pretty tired of looking at this monster fuselage and will move on to other repair jobs.

So now on to opening up the inner portion of the right wing to repair the wing attach points, called out in the plans as "Spar Tongues". These attachments are extensions of the spars and, by bolting into the separate wing center section, are all that hold the airplane in the air, besides the lifting struts. When the lifting strut failed, these spar tongues were immediately ripped out and down came the Telly.

Name:	Mk25516.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	1351233   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ec89111.jpg 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	1351234   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nl30870.jpg 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	1351235  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You know technically this plane is now a REMASTERED, not a telemaster ! I do like telebruiser as well

Its looking good though...

I love seeing builds like this, I myself have recently finished up a NOSEN trainer that had been gathering hangar rash at another persons house for at least 10 years... It hadn't been finished even...
    those projects can be fun to revive.

heres a link for anyone interested ... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_86..._1/key_/tm.htm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Something about cutting open a nicely built, undamaged wing makes me a bit queasy...but we gotta do what ever it takes....so I stripped off the monocoat from the underside of the inner portion of the wing, cut away wing skin, sawed out the spar webbing and then finally removed about 6" of the spar which formed the spar tongue on the outside of the wing panel and was stripped out when the wing departed the aircraft.

I then made up a new spar piece, spliced it in, added the webbing back and am now ready to tackle the aft spar tongue. This is not as hard as I thought it might be.

Pics make it look easy. [8D]

Name:	Ca82883.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	1352859   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr49467.jpg 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	1352860   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv65070.jpg 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	1352861   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nk28196.jpg 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	1352862  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In one picture, I saw one of the most important building tool, the busch lite, sometimes you need that liquid motivation to tackle a big project or even just getting up the nerve to cut into a perfectly fine wing?!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, the right wing panel is now repaired, re-sheeted, and ready for recover of the affected area. While working on the aft spar tongue splice, I found out how critical it is to ensure how absolutely parallel and totally square the tongues must be. If they are not right on the money, they will not insert into the wing center section. My first try was close, but not close enough and I was forced to take out the spliced rear spar tongue and start over.....what I finally did to ensure parallelism, etc was to use the wing center section as a jig when setting the aft tongue. Works good now.

While I was waiting for glue to dry, I made up an aluminum attach fitting for lower lift struts out of .060 aluminum....this design stretches across the bottom of the fuse and will serve as attach points for dual lift struts that I need to make up.

Pics tell the story.[8D]

Name:	Fd92441.jpg 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	1356411   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sn40137.jpg 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	1356412   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eb86988.jpg 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	1356413  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Back to the Fuse: I layed out and glued up 3/32 sheets to make up forward fuselage skins and then cut the existing skin at an angle to enable a clean skin splice. I glued in lapping pieces inside the fuse behind the mating lines and then after applying generous amounts of Titebond II, set the skin into position and applied lots of clamping and direct weighted pressure on the skin. Each side was done separately and I let each side cure for 12 hours. The fuse now looks like a Telemaster and will allow me to move back to repairs of the left wing panel.

To illustrate just how huge this beast is, I set a Gypsy Lady up on the top of the Telly fuse. This airplane is so large that I had to go out and buy a new piece of MDF to create a tabletop long enough to lay out the left wing for repairs.

Name:	Ro41598.jpg 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	1357755   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn37518.jpg 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	1357756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sq47638.jpg 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	1357757   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hr50238.jpg 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	1357758  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

And then on to the left wing panel:
    Oh ****!! What have I gotten into??

The left wing panel looked like it took a fair shot to the forward wing tip and busted up the leading edge, but when I started removing the covering, the real truth came out......forward ribs looked like someone put them in a blender....upper and lower spars broken, leading edge smashed into little bitty pieces....no way to re-glue. And to think that all of this damage was partially hidden and "concealed" inside of the covered wing. I have never seen balsa disintegrate in such a manner before; I have been crashing airplanes for 20+ years, so I am pretty familiar with busted balsa.

So anyway, I am into this thing this far, press on. I removed everything that was wasted and layed out what was left of the wing panel over the Telly plan. Yuma Mike had previously ordered a wing repair kit and donated enough "lumber" to start wing reconstruction. Stay with us, this will take a while longer, but we'll get there.

Name:	Bw73145.jpg 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	1359360   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qv55090.jpg 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	1359361   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tm31147.jpg 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	1359362   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pa34795.jpg 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	1359363   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr50982.jpg 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	1359364  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ki19520.jpg 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	1359359  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice job. I cartwheeled mine down the runway a few years back. Lott's of wood flying around[]. As you say, a very sad sight. My son and I rebuilt her that winter, flew her for another season, took her to Toledo and sold her to a man and his son from Canada. Still flying for all I know.

Think about this as you rebuild her. We had a bomb bay in her. A lot of room in that big fuselage. She could carry a roll of toilet paper and I would drop it to make a large streamer for other pilots to try and hit on the way down. It was fun. Easy to make.
    Cheers,
    Gary P. / use Steel Powder for ballast not lead. PM me for more information.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thankfully thats a constant chord wing..that makes it MUCH easier as I am sure you know...It will definitely be worth the work though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: foodstick

Thankfully thats a constant chord wing..that makes it MUCH easier as I am sure you know...It will definitely be worth the work though.
    That is certain. These planes fly so well and have a cool profile. When we rebuilt ours, we did the Cub lightning bolt on the side. It was mistaken one day for a full scale Cub by a person driving by the field. He stopped in to see what was going on.
    Cheers,
    Gary P. / use Steel Powder for ballast not lead. PM me for more information.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After laying out what remained of the outer wing over the Telly plans, I spliced in new running spar members, cut new ribs from plans and then spliced in replacement wingtip and leading edge pieces. Once the glue had set up, I cut up and glued in spar webbing and leading edge sheeting to wrap it up.[8D]

Oh, and the spar tongue on the left wing turned out to be severely cracked, so it got replaced also....I had already done 2 of these on the other wing, so it was a piece of cake.

I will cover the wings, re-attach the left aileron, cover the fuse, mount the YS 1.20 engine, and await heavy duty servos from Tower. Won't be long.

For Ram3500: I'd like to hear more about the toilet paper setup and mission. Any pics??

Name:	Yw68738.jpg 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	1362214   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn35405.jpg 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	1362215   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn38090.jpg 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	1362216   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ec87173.jpg 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	1362217   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh14580.jpg 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	1362218  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast