Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Severely cut arm in Camarillo

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Severely cut arm in Camarillo

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 10:26 PM
danman1947
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Severely cut arm in Camarillo

Does any one know what happened to the individual that severely cut his arm the last week here in S. Cal? All we had in the local paper was that he was in critical condition in the hospital in Camarillo California. I was concerned and curious about exactly what had taken place..Dan
Old 07-10-2003, 05:06 PM
AirJockey

Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.insidevc.com/vcs/county_n...076343,00.html
Old 07-10-2003, 05:54 PM
danman1947
My Feedback: (2)

Default Severely Cut Man

Yes, thank you very much for the link. I had heard that he had passed away from the loss of blood. I also was wondering about the size of the airplane that was involved. I certainly hope that the rumour was incorrect...Dan
Old 07-11-2003, 02:41 AM
PMJ

sweet jesus, I certainly hope he didn't die. That would be an incredibly terrible lose
Old 07-12-2003, 02:08 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At a Scalemasters Qualifyer a few years ago I watched a guy from our club lay his arm open with the prop on his 1/3rd scale Sopwith Pup.

He and his caller always "walked" the running plane across the asphalt runway in order to do a scale take off then landing on the grass. Walking the plane involved each of them holding one wingtip while the engine pulled the plane.

Well, after his flight they were walking back across the runway. His caller had stoped to pick something up, releasing the wing. A couple of seconds later the Tx slipped in Tom's hand kicking it to full throttle. The plane started to rotate around the wingtip Tom was holding, he reached down to stop the plane and the prop opened up his forearm.

Now, he was running a Zenoah G-62, so what's the prop on one of those, 22 X 10 or something? Anyway, to make a long story short, they put in 60 something internal stitches an 34 (?) external ones. The doctors said he was incredibly lucky that no major arteries were severed! (You could have fooled me judging by the blood, but....)

He still flys the large WWI stuff, but kills the engine before bringing it back across the runway.
Dennis-
Old 07-20-2003, 04:28 AM
Peashoot

Here's an update to that story.
http://www.insidevc.com/vcs/county_n...093742,00.html
I can't say for certain what happened, but heard he was starting it without tie downs, or anyone helping to hold it. The throttle was set at about 3/4 full. He was trying to hold it with one hand and it started turning on him.