Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

CURE FOR OIL SOAKED BALSA

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

CURE FOR OIL SOAKED BALSA

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:18 PM
fazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CURE FOR OIL SOAKED BALSA

What's a good way of extracting oil from balsa to re-apply an iron on plastic covering. I once heard thet spraying K2 Spot Remover and allowing to sit

overnight draws out the oil. Does anyone have any ideas to avoid cutting out the balsa and replacing it.?

Thanks for any suggestions
Old 01-26-2010, 10:18 PM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CURE FOR OIL SOAKED BALSA

KITTY LITTER!!! No kidding, just cover the oily spot, let it soak for a couple days. Shake it, replace it until the oil is gone.

Do a search....there's a ton of threads on this topic
Old 01-26-2010, 10:29 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K2R does work. Needs several applications if badly soaked.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:53 PM
heavy metal thunder

I use rubbing alcohol mixed in with corn starch to form a thin or thick paste depending upon the need. It will take several applications before you can get the oil out, brush off the paste in about an hour or so between applications. You know when you have got the oil out, is when paste dries white and looks like powder. If it looks oily when dry you will need to do it again. Use an old tooth brush to remove the dried paste.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:37 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This was covered somewhere else recently but I can't remember where. I've used K2R and it works... but it can be hard to find. I got mine at an Ace Hardware store.

Also, if you heat the balsa with a heat gun, the oil will rise to the surface and you can sop it up with a paper towel.

Both the paper towel/heat method and the K2R require frequent applications. I've heard a lot of folks talk about the Kitty Litter trick but haven't tried it myself. I remember some folks mention to also pack the insde of the fuse (fuel tank area, for example) to get the most oil out of the wood.

Hope this helps,

Bob
Old 01-27-2010, 08:43 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's that other thread... you might find some good tips here too.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_93...tm.htm#9453422

Bob
Old 02-12-2010, 06:33 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

K2R can be very hard to find...BUT>>>

Today I picked 2 cans up at a West Marine shop(Boat shop). Most of them do not carry it in the store, however you can call them and ask them to order it for you so you dont have to pay for the crazy shipping. They wont offer to order it...you have to ask. It took one week for them to get. All you need to do is get the West Marine product number off of their website and give it to the sales rep. You can also order it on their website.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:57 PM
mistermnkim
My Feedback: (153)

i use regular oil dry, get a bucket put the part in and fill with oil dry! just let it sit a week or so and its good. works for me anyway....
Old 02-13-2010, 10:17 PM
Villa

Hi fazer
I dealt with the oil soaked balsa problem for a good 30 years or so. I once lost a wing because the front support was oils soaked and I had not noticed it. Others here have given you great ways to get the oil out of the balsa. Here is an alternative: Build the planes out of Coroplast Corrugated Plastic as shown in the SPAD forum below. The oil does not bother the material. I just wipe it down using a paper towel and Windex. Been doing it for close to 10 years. There are many free plans available if you are interested.