Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

New Sig Somethin Extra crashed

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

New Sig Somethin Extra crashed

Old 07-10-2003, 09:34 PM
Kota_air
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Sig Somethin Extra crashed

It was the second day at the field with my new Somethin Extra and I had made one flight already that day. I was taking off and got about 5-6 feet in the air and the plane went nose down hard as if I had put in full down elevator which I know I did not do. It went in straight. After the crash we were able to check the elevator and rudder. They checked out fine. The ailerons came unplug in the crash but sense it didn't bank one direction or the other I don't believe they were a factor. I think I was shot down by radio interference. It just nosed down so hard and so fast I can't think of anything else that could have caused the crash.
I spent the next day repairing it and did a very careful preflight check before I put it back in the air today.
It flys awsome again and I am real happy with the plane. This is my first nice plane so I guess I got my first heart breaking crash out of the way. Sorry there are no pictures but somethings are just better forgotten.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:42 AM
rc_boy_12
My Feedback: (2)

u sure the servo was reversed in the tail?
Old 07-20-2003, 05:44 AM
rc_boy_12
My Feedback: (2)

wasnt***
Old 07-20-2003, 07:18 PM
rockmon

Glad to hear you could fix it so easy and it flys well. I crashed one of mine yesterday for about the 5th time and am sorry to say I think this is it for this s.e., there is just no way to fix it and keep it as light as it was. The good part is one of the wing panels made it through without a scratch and that means I only have to cover one wing panel for my other one so it can be in the air in a day or so. It's hard for me to relax when I don't have at least 1 s.e. ready to fly.<G> I made quite a few mods on this one and the only thing that makes it still look like an s.e. is the wings, I cut the cheeks off first thing and side mounted my engine to keep it cleaner then took the dremmel to the fuse and control surfaces and ground a bunch off of them, ditched the stock rudder and am running one off of a Kangke extra, it required me to cut about an inch of the s.e.'s vertical stab off, I cut it just above the hard point for the flying wires, no tail wheel just a skid, no pilot I even removed the floor of the radio compartment cover, drilled holes in the servo tray and will go with the smallest lightest flight pack I think I can get away with. It will not be a tough airplane anymore but that's ok I want to get it down to 4lbs or a bit less and I think I can, I think I can, I think I can. Have fun with your s.e. and fly it the way it was meant to fly, they are easy to fix and the next one get the kit, after you build your first one you can build one as fast as you put your first arf together (no kidding). The one week spot on the s.e. is the landing gear area so watch that and maybe beef it up a bit in that area and don't rmove the flying wires the s.e. has an unbelievable roll rate that I think could twist the tail right off with no flying wires. I am useing musky line for flying wires on the one I am finishing.