Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Why do most blame everything but themselves

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Why do most blame everything but themselves

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 03:01 AM
Srewinkel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do most blame everything but themselves

Why is it when a plane goes down, it is always a "brown out", or tip stall, or servo failure. Hardly ever do people blame themselves for the crash. I have built and crashed many planes, and all but maybe 2 of the crashes have been my fault. Simple range check, battery check, or simple abort a take off can save a lot of planes. I guess it is the fad of the century, "not my fault"
Old 03-07-2010, 03:08 AM
qldviking

Default RE: Why do most blame everything but themselves

its simple, most people want to look better than they actually are, there the "ooops I goofed" isnt in thier vocabulary
Old 03-07-2010, 04:07 AM
1320Fastback

I cant say that any of my crashes have been anything but my fault. I have never had a glitch or brown out but have had lots of preflight oversights and dumb thumbs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rp44655.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	753.6 KB
ID:	1392567   Click image for larger version

Name:	av67868.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	622.3 KB
ID:	1392568   Click image for larger version

Name:	bg92003.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	1392569  
Old 03-07-2010, 10:46 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Someone sees an airplane head down, and it won't go back up "no matter how much up elevator I gave it!", and they presume the elevator servo failed.

That's a simple lack of understanding about what a stall is, how it happens, and how to recover.  They believe the elevator is an up-down control, and if it doesn't perform one of those actions on command, it must be broken.

They're not looking to "pass blame"...they just don't understand.

Beyond that, though, it's always struck me as a whole lot more FUN to acknowledge your screw up, have a little fun with everyone at your own expense, and go rebuild.  It is, after all, a fun hobby...and I promise you, when YOU screw up (and you will...we ALL will) I'm going to have no end of fun at YOUR expense...so you might as well have some at mine!  

Old 03-07-2010, 10:48 AM
gboulton

Oh, and one other thing...

This

was ENTIRELY my fault.  
Old 03-07-2010, 10:54 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

its like the movie

shawshank redemption all those in there were actual innocent
Old 03-07-2010, 11:24 AM
qldviking

ORIGINAL: gboulton

Oh, and one other thing...

This

[img][/img]

was ENTIRELY my fault.

Is that where u learned up is expensive?
Old 03-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Srewinkel

and couldn't "brown outs" even be pilot error.  Not using correct equipment to fly the plane? like using a 30 size motor in a 40 size plane because you don't want it to go too fast.

I would say all but maybe 2 of my crashes were my fault, and even those 2 you could probably blame me for something that caused it.  []
Old 03-07-2010, 12:19 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't think most people know why the plane went in. Once it gets ahead of them they just bang the sticks all the way to the ground. The plane stays one or two steps ahead of the their brain.

david
Old 03-07-2010, 01:37 PM
1320Fastback

Brown outs are definitely a set up issue which is under the pilots control. A lock out is not.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:17 AM
bjor

ORIGINAL: Srewinkel

Why is it when a plane goes down, it is always a ''brown out'', or tip stall, or servo failure. Hardly ever do people blame themselves for the crash. I have built and crashed many planes, and all but maybe 2 of the crashes have been my fault. Simple range check, battery check, or simple abort a take off can save a lot of planes. I guess it is the fad of the century, ''not my fault''
Yep - have to agree. There's this bloke that flys at our club, and has crashed every plane he has flown - none were his fault, just ask him. I've seen him tip stall an pull up instead of down (when inverted) -but never his fault. By his own admmission he has written off 7 planes in as many months - probably less, everything from a glider to a 50cc Extra. He brought a new DSX9 2.4 system to replace his DX7 recently. When asked how come he reply "needed a new transmitter as my planes kept crashing with the other one". The DSX 9 must be better - it's only crashed one plane so far
Old 03-08-2010, 01:11 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll tell you what else is crazy, when you post a video of rc airplane crashing, and no matter how much you know first hand about the accident, and the people flying it... a million people will post , you pulled elevator to soon,..you need to be doing this or that! hahahha

I think when it comes to you tube you can plan on about 90 percent of the comments being trolls...

Old 03-08-2010, 04:42 AM
gboulton

ORIGINAL: qldviking

Nope...that's where I learned that one of my thumbs doesn't know right from left!

Old 03-08-2010, 05:02 AM
qldviking

ORIGINAL: gboulton

ORIGINAL: qldviking
[img][/img]

Nope...that's where I learned that one of my thumbs doesn't know right from left!

Duh [sm=spinnyeyes.gif] which is what? [sm=lol.gif][sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 03-08-2010, 10:00 AM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I think as a society we have become a "it's someone elses fault" group. When something bad happens we immediately look around to see who we can blame..and sue of course. It's really a sad state of affairs.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:13 AM
faulknej

I've only been flying since July. Ihave crashed a lot of planes. When it's all over, the dustsettled, Ihave often stood there thinking "what just happened?" Replaying the last few seconds of the flight in my mind, I always try to figure out what caused the model to do what it did. It always happens so fast, Iusually have no idea. Two of my eight destroyed models were just flying along, with me doing nothing to the sticks, when they were suddenly piles of toothpicks in the mud. The rest, I'm pretty sure Icrashed, due to inexperience. Wish Icould get some "good" experience, I'm running out of money. lol
Old 03-08-2010, 11:47 AM
1320Fastback

ORIGINAL: rc-sport

I think as a society we have become a ''it's someone elses fault'' group. When something bad happens we immediately look around to see who we can blame..and sue of course. It's really a sad state of affairs.

Next to Football suing is Americas favorite game.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:51 AM
1320Fastback

ORIGINAL: faulknej

Two of my eight destroyed models were just flying along, with me doing nothing to the sticks, when they were suddenly piles of toothpicks in the mud.
COULD possibly be a preflight issue like loose control rod connections or loose hinges. Not saying it was your fault just the possibility it was
Old 03-08-2010, 01:18 PM
DenverJayhawk

My most recent crash was entirely my fault. Landing in a cross wind and used aileron at the last second to correct the line up with the runway. Once the left wing lifted up, the wind got under it and blew it right over. Should have used rudder.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Villa

Hi faulknej
Are you flying at a club where you can get help from instructors?
Old 03-09-2010, 10:31 AM
faulknej

ORIGINAL: 1320Fastback

ORIGINAL: faulknej

Two of my eight destroyed models were just flying along, with me doing nothing to the sticks, when they were suddenly piles of toothpicks in the mud.
COULD possibly be a preflight issue like loose control rod connections or loose hinges. Not saying it was your fault just the possibility it was
Could have been that, but they happened in the SAME exact place on the field on two consecutive days. Threw the 72mHz radio away after that and switched to 2.4. Hasn't been a problem since.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:37 AM
faulknej

ORIGINAL: Villa

Hi faulknej
Are you flying at a club where you can get help from instructors?
Yes, I am. They have been quite helpful. One of them even rebuilt my Extra when Icrashed it. Iget lots of pointers from them, and I'm slowly learning. Ijust bought a foamy T-28, and Iflew it this weekend. It flies slow, and I had a much better feel for what I was doing. Ithink I'll stick with it for a while, get more experience. Maybe my refexes aren't as good as they should be for this hobby.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:22 AM
Oberst
Banned

I'm one of those who don't do that, that's why I'm well liked at my club. I even admit when I smash and destroy a plane because I get so pissed at it on the work bench while building it. But that's another issue.

I'm quick to admitt when I screw up when I crash unless a wing breaks in half etc. Then I blame the Chinese because I only own customized ARF's for the moment.

Pete
Old 03-16-2010, 11:58 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My most glorius crashes were straining a speed demon thru a power line and giving 'up' elevator while screaming by in a low inverted pass w my first of three 1/4 scale Cassutts! It was my thumbs fault- not mine! Also, I really liked my loop in the Bristol M1c that was ~3" below ground level. At least all the re-kitted parts stayed inside the bag of covering!
Old 03-18-2010, 11:49 PM
Carpilot

I got one for you, I was flying right after the DX7 was released with my brand new one, the wind was a little stiff. I was practicing slow rolling circles, all was going well until I made a downwind turn and my plane suddenly came to a sudden stop when it hit the ground.

There were several people that day that kept trying to blame my radio even though it was blatantly obvious that i screwed up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.