Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Down Hard!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 03:59 PM
krashkart
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Down Hard!

I purchased a couple of glow trainers pretty cheap last fall and put one of them together to try flying again after some 36 years.
I took the plane out today for the first time as it was a really nice day.
I got off the ground with the 62" wingspan NexStar and land it 4 times without a problem. It was the 5th time in the air that I had a real problem
I was banking to come into the field again and all of the sudden the plane started spinning on me out of control and nothing I could do would solve the problem. I know it was not a battery problem and I don't think it was the radio gear. Maybe just pilot error on my part. It hit so hard that the wing came off and came apart into 3 pieces. The entire tail section also broke off of the body as she cart wheeled into oblivion.
Now I have used some glue in the past but this is beyond repair.
You know what they say "it's not if but when you will crash"~I have been there before and will be again.
Oh well, I bought this to see if I was still interested. I think I will just go all electric flight which is sort of what I had been looking at anyway.
Anybody need parts for a NexStar? The motor and RC gear are all good anyway.
The motor just sold via the buy and sell. The entire RC package is up for grabs for $60 including servos.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:18 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Down Hard!

Hmmmm, I'm sure you won't have trouble selling the electronics at that price...

As for the crash, it made me think about when I put in a Super Sportster that I'd built. In the end, I let it get too slow and it was a little heavy, so I had a tip stall. Could that be what happened?

Bob
Old 03-22-2010, 07:26 PM
krashkart

Could have been, I am not quite sure. I think it was coupled with the wind that was coming up too which was blowing back at the direction I was turning.
Maybe I did not compensate enough for it and could not as the altitude was getting low on approach.
Is that your callsign? Mine is W7WV
73 OM
Old 03-22-2010, 07:53 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup, that's my callsign... I used to do Aeronautical Mobile from the P-3 but that was many years ago...

Joining the QCWA now...

Bob
Old 03-22-2010, 07:57 PM
krashkart

Yes I looked it up and thought it was.
I was Army for 6 years '66-72. Then I worked electronics for the Navy until retirement on the subs. I used to tell the Navy folks I was there for entertainment value~that went over big.
My best friend, now an SK, K5BGG, flew fighters for 26 years until they wanted him to fly a desk and he retired. He said the new jets were writing checks his **tt could not cash anyway and it was time.
His son now has his callsign.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:03 AM
playntraffic

ORIGINAL: krashkart

I purchased a couple of glow trainers pretty cheap last fall and put one of them together to try flying again after some 36 years.
I took the plane out today for the first time as it was a really nice day.
I got off the ground with the 62'' wingspan NexStar and land it 4 times without a problem. It was the 5th time in the air that I had a real problem [img][/img]
I was banking to come into the field again and all of the sudden the plane started spinning on me out of control and nothing I could do would solve the problem. I know it was not a battery problem and I don't think it was the radio gear. Maybe just pilot error on my part. It hit so hard that the wing came off and came apart into 3 pieces. The entire tail section also broke off of the body as she cart wheeled into oblivion. [img][/img]
Now I have used some glue in the past but this is beyond repair.
You know what they say ''it's not if but when you will crash''~I have been there before and will be again.
Oh well, I bought this to see if I was still interested. I think I will just go all electric flight which is sort of what I had been looking at anyway.
Anybody need parts for a NexStar? The motor and RC gear are all good anyway.
The motor just sold via the buy and sell. The entire RC package is up for grabs for $60 including servos.

Do you think that you could have stalled? I don't know your experience, but the description matches what most students will do on base prior to final. They will throttle down and get too slow. That combined with the turn and pulling back on elevator puts them in a spin. If the plane was tail heavy, this could be exagerated.

I am not sure glow or electric would have made much difference.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:25 AM
krashkart

I just don't know. I was high and just making the 180 to come back to the field as I had done before for landing.
I had not removed any power yet.
As near as I can figure I banked a little too far and that coupled with the wind that was just coming upfrom the opposite direction of my banked turn rolled me over to where I lost the air?
It's hard to tell but it was one **ll of a crash!
As stated, I got this stuff cheap, so the lesson learned here was not too expensive.