Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

correcting wing angle

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

correcting wing angle

Old 03-28-2010, 11:25 AM
jack sanzoni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default correcting wing angle

i crahed a next star traner, after repaires the plane will not lift off. how due you figure out what the angle of attack should be? jack
Old 03-28-2010, 12:34 PM
davidgeorge212

Default RE: correcting wing angle

Do you have one of these wing incidence meters?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXET66&P=ML

If not, they are a good investment. A general rule of thumb is that your wing should have somewhere between 0 to + 2 degrees of positive incidence. (meaning the wing should be angled up in the front about 1 or 2 degrees. With that meter, it fits right on the wing of your plane, and it has a little needle that moves back and forth and shows exactly how much incidence you have.

David
Old 03-28-2010, 02:33 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to Tower the wing / stab incidence is ...

CG: 3-3/16" (81mm) forward limit 3-9/16" (90mm) aft limit from the wing's leading edge at the fuselage sides

Control Throws-

Elevator: Up & Down ½" (13mm)

Rudder: Right to Left ¾" (19mm)

Ailerons: Up ½" (13mm) Down 3/8" (9mm)

Degrees Incidence:

Engine Thrust: 5° right

Stabilizer: 0°

Wing: -2°

Old 03-28-2010, 05:50 PM
lejongleur
My Feedback: (10)

I'm not surprised that the plane will not behave well after a crash/rebuild, but unless you've changed everything radically, it should still be able to get off the ground - as your plane has nosewheel/tricycle gear, you should be able to rotate after picking up some speed, and the plane will lift off, no?

You might want to consider these other points:

1) Is the nosegear lower than it should be, relative to the main gear? This might allow the nose to point downward or inhibit an easy takeoff.

2) Did you install the two wing servos instead of just the one (it's a NextStar option)? If you did, are the ailerons set correctly, or are they angled up as airfoils?

3) If point 2) applies, did you program your radio to have flaperons, and are they set to be up under certain conditions? (e.g. full throttle).

4) What about the NACA droops, or the speed brakes? Are they having an effect?

Maybe none of the above apply, but they are worth a thought. I had a similar experience flying a profile Katana. I had program the flaperons to be up, neutral or down, and I did not notice that they were UP on takeoff. My Katana (tail dragger) scooted along the whole runway at great speed, without getting off the ground! It normally requires 3-4 feet to go vertical.

Hope this may help...Chris