Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Strut question

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Strut question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 06:38 PM
ny_hawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut question

Hi all!

I installed struts on my Corsair.. Which is still under construction.. I am concerned because I think due to some rough handling the *hinges* on these struts have become slightly loose.. The result is that the wheels will turn slightly and are not 100% fixed into position..

I set them both up with a bit of "toe in" each one not quite straight but angled inward, so that when loaded and the plane taxiing they are more or less both straight..

So is this going to be a problem? If so is there a way to fix or replace the hinges? The struts are good and I would rather not have to buy new ones, since my budget is well in the RED..

Thanks a lot!

Jim
Old 04-21-2010, 08:36 PM
lejongleur
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Strut question

Don't know how big your Corsair is but unless the 'toe-in toe-out' effect is significant, your runway rollout should not be a problem, esp. as you probably only need 10-20 feet for takeoff and 50 feet to land. Some of my planes have developed a fair bit of bend in the gear during a day's flying, and still can usually crab their way to a takeoff and landing.

Do you think the amount of slop in the gear is excessive?
Old 04-21-2010, 09:20 PM
ny_hawk

Default RE: Strut question

Thanks for the reply..

The WS is 57" or so.. Plane will weigh around 9-11 pounds..

I don't know if the play is excessive.. It's about say 3-5 degrees and bugs me.. I have it set up so that when the gear is bearing the weight of the plane they are fairly straight.. When I get the rest of the plane together I can test the taxiing..

I would like to try to tighten the hinges but I am unsure how..

Thanks,

Jim