Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

I found a new way to crash

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

I found a new way to crash

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 02:16 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I found a new way to crash

Well, actually I got lucky and landed safely. But this is a failure that I would not have expected. I have dual aileron servos on a 40 sized Burrito profile. I thought it was behaving 'different' in flight. Upon landing I saw that one aileron was not responding. The aileron control rod had broken into two pieces. The fracture occurred at the 2-56 threaded end near where the clevis screws on.

I felt all the linkages preflight for slop and security - this is part of my usual preflight procedure. Did not feel anything unusual.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Villa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I found a new way to crash

Hi JPMacG
That type of break is unusual. For many years most control rods have had the thread rolled on rather than cut with a die. Rolling tends to make the threads stronger. The body of the rod is smaller in diameter and that is how I determine that the threads are rolled.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:08 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I found a new way to crash

The O.D. of the threads on the broken rod is larger than the diameter of the non-threaded length. So I guess this one was rolled. The groves of the threads are no doubt areas of stress concentration, so it makes sense that it would break where it did.

I just replaced both aileron control rods with new. Next time I get to the LHS I'll get rods for the elevator and rudder and replace them as well. Everything wears out.... eventually.

Thanks