Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Which way to go on tail fuse section rebuild

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Which way to go on tail fuse section rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 06:14 AM
Patxipt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which way to go on tail fuse section rebuild

Hello gents!

Some months ago I had a crash with my Avistar. The horizontal stabilizer cracked and so did the rear end of the fuse (it did not separate, just cracked and twisted).
At home I did a quick fix by gluing the fuse by the balsa crack lines with CA, covering with wrapping tape and did the same to the horizontal stab.

Did some flights, but the plane needed some real trimming and thus sat in the shed since now.

Today I ripped the whole covering off of the fuselage, cut the vertical stab as I'll be making a new one.

Now, what would you guys do? The fuse cracked between the 1st and the 2nd bulkheads from the tail end. Should I cut the fuse from the second bulkhead back and re-do it or is there a simpler way of fixing it?
As is, the horizontal stab is around 20ΒΊ down to the right, as seen from the back of the fuse.

Thank you for your input.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	zx72349.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	1429988   Click image for larger version

Name:	wr54003.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1429989  
Old 05-04-2010, 08:50 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which way to go on tail fuse section rebuild

There are as many ways to fix a plane as there are people who fix them. It just depends on your expectations. The simple goal is to have the aircraft true and back to original specification when you are complete. You could remove the balsa sheeting and repair internal stringers, braces and formers then re-sheet the frame. Because you CA'ed the crack line and it was not straight, that wood needs to be removed and replaced as it is "CA Hardened" and will not re-glue. Cut it away and use it as a template to rebuild.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:29 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cut out a 1/8th inch slit on the side of the fuse with the horizontal tilted upward and glue together this will take the tilt out of the tail.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:03 AM
Patxipt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your inputs.

I guess I took the hard route, removed all the covering from the plane, took the vertical stab out, made a new one, had to reshape a bit the horizontal stab at the fuse glue area and got it all covered again.
Cut the upper deck a bit at the fin area where it had got glued and placed a new piece of balsa. Looks like new now!

Thanks !
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	nl29181.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	1432870  
Old 05-11-2010, 08:34 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Outstanding! Lets us know how the remaiden goes. I'm sure it will fly as new but with more pride as you have rebuilt it now.