Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

My worst crash to date

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

My worst crash to date

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 10:39 PM
HunkaJunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My worst crash to date

Top Flite GS p-51 Mustang ARF, the right wing gave up just outside the the wing joiner during a really big loop at high speed. This was about the 125th flight but only the 7th flight on that wing, I should have just fixed the retract bays in my old wing.

nearly a total loss. the picture is not the crash site but the crash site looked very similar, LOL

The pilot must have bailed out because he was not found at the crash site??

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	us54996.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	1445466  
Old 05-30-2010, 11:25 PM
chevypower1930

Default RE: My worst crash to date

OUCH! makes me cringe looking at that... I couldn't imagine my P51 going in that hard... I'm always scared to really wring out my prized planes haha.. but if I get the twist or modded avistar in the air everyone watch out!
Old 05-30-2010, 11:48 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You know..... most planes are rebuildable.. MOST PLANES !!

That real is an ugly one..its a bummer it happened [] Better luck with the next one !
Old 05-31-2010, 12:33 AM
basman

Sorry for your loss.......it hurts
Here's the result from one of my hardest hits
Did you recover anything ? engine/ servo's / batt / switches ? The only good thing is when you get home at the point of weakness and great loss, the wife is only too pleased for you to replace it!!!!
HAPPY SHOPPING

Name:	Vt57700.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	1445509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14658.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1445510  
Old 05-31-2010, 03:18 AM
Korps

Hunka...just a couple of bottles of E-poxy and CA - fix her uppa in no time Kidding

Sorry for your loss, really hurts to see a plane like that.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:00 AM
HunkaJunk

ORIGINAL: basman

Sorry for your loss.......it hurts
Here's the result from one of my hardest hits
Did you recover anything ? engine/ servo's / batt / switches ? The only good thing is when you get home at the point of weakness and great loss, the wife is only too pleased for you to replace it!!!!
HAPPY SHOPPING
The Hitec MG servos seem OK, one of them needs a gear set for sure. The engine was destroyed, crankcase and jug are both badly broken. The JR 921 RX turns on and will re-bind but is non functional. The main landing gear seems ok. Both power switches still function, one battery pack survived, the other was turned into individual cells.

It went in so hard that the retractable tail wheel assembly was severely damaged as well.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:48 PM
basman

So HK you got some bits and pieces you might put in a trainer or something that you might risk, but as for using them for something of quality forget it..........have you soughted a replacement yet ?
Old 06-01-2010, 01:44 AM
HunkaJunk

I already have the ARC version of this same model that I have yet to start on. I always reinforce the retract area of these ARF wings, this one I will also do in between the retract bay and the wing joiner, where the wing failed on this one there was VERY little glue.

The plane that crashed had a Fuji 64EI in it, the ARCplane has a ZDZ 60 RV with a keeleo exhaust, a setup that spins the same prop (20X12) a full 5-600 more RPM than the Fuji did, I'll have do a little more surgery on the ARC wing, which shouldn't be a real big deal because I have complete gear door setup for it anyway.

I might consider using one of the Hitec 5625mg servos out of the crash for the tail wheel steering in the new one.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:51 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HunkaJunk, there are two types of R/C pilots. Those that have and those that will.

Name:	Pm34943.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	1446266   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51154.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	1446267  
Old 06-02-2010, 10:54 PM
basman

I have the 46 size of the ulitmate...........what can I say it is an awesome flier. Stang that is a loss, where you going hard at it pilot error / or are we talking failure beyond your control ?
Either way I trust you got some good flying out of that bird ?
Old 06-02-2010, 11:00 PM
basman

Hunka, can you tell me how did you find the Fuji? I have a GP sukhio su 31 they reccomended a Fuji 46 I think, but the weight compared to power seemed to be an issue to me. They seemed very heavy as compared to others on the market. I ended up putting a DLE 55 up front and all seems good.
Good to hear there is another in the winds hope it up and flying soon............
Old 06-03-2010, 07:12 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: basman

I have the 46 size of the ulitmate...........what can I say it is an awesome flier. Stang that is a loss, where you going hard at it pilot error / or are we talking failure beyond your control ?
Either way I trust you got some good flying out of that bird ?
This Carl Goldberg 60.5 in Ultimate was my favorite plane. I will claim pilot error due to not ensuring I had a propper bind to the Spektrum Rx. I would notice that when powering up the Rx some times I would have to cycle the switch to get it to connect. I had flown the plane several times even under this condition and this time it bit me in the "6".
Old 06-03-2010, 07:45 AM
tenacious101010
My Feedback: (97)

Sorry to see your Mustang looking like that. Unfortunatly it loos very similar to ours when it nosed in at full throttle. It hit so hard, the spinner stopped and the engine kept coming. You can see the nut and washer imprinted clearly into the spinner.
Denny

Name:	Fd93303.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1447437  
Old 06-03-2010, 07:35 PM
basman

Stang, I have some damage on my Ulitimate - turned into the wind too slow practicing landing and as they do droped a wing and cart wheeled. Not to bad bent the wing tube and some minor fuse damage just haven't got around to it yet. ( other projects work and not enough time ) A problem with that is I just found out my order for an Aeroworks 50cc QB Ulitimate has just landed in the country, so the man with the big brown box should be here any day now Do I built or repair this is the question ????????????????[sm=confused.gif]...............Brian
Old 06-03-2010, 07:38 PM
basman

Stang I fly DX7 as well. Have you tried turning the receiver on first the the TX. I read some where this gives you a cleaner connection ( for want of better words )