Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

breaking a jinx

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

breaking a jinx

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 02:57 PM
lennyk
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default breaking a jinx

just got my 3rd midair, need advice on breaking this jinx/bad karma. getting frustrating and expensive
Old 07-21-2003, 03:06 PM
stuffer
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default breaking a jinx

spotter....
Old 07-21-2003, 04:16 PM
SkyDude

Default breaking a jinx

That sucks. At the field I fly at, I've watched how different pilots fly. There are some guys that I try to stay away from. These are the guys that are real unpredicatable and fly in either wierd patterns, or no patterns at all.

Most people accept the general rule - upwind close or over the runway and downwind further out from the runway. If I see a pilot not doing this, I generally will avoid flying when he's up.

Sometimes, I'll pick some airspace to one side of the runway and just fly there, keeping my plane out of most of the traffic. The planes a bit further out, but at least I'm not worried about dodging everyone.

Also, if there's other planes up, I try to keep my peripheral biased to what's in front of me. This means that instead of me focusing directly on my plane, I kind of keep it a bit to the side of my main field of view. This way I have a little more view of what's coming up.

When all else fails, evasive manuevers may be needed. I tend to dive a bit and roll to the right usually. Of course, this is just a roll of the dice, and may end up putting you on collision course just as easy if you went straight.

And yes, a spotter helps a lot too.
Old 07-21-2003, 04:36 PM
stuffer
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default breaking a jinx

does the field belong to a club? if it does then the safety officer has some work to do. whenever something happens like that at where I fly the officer tells them to stay in the pattern or stop flying. multiple fliers are nice when there is respect amongst them. every field has their defient ones. its tough to stay quiet about it when it kinda ruins your day.
Old 07-21-2003, 04:57 PM
lennyk
My Feedback: (12)

Default breaking a jinx

field is government owned, nobody has rights to field, other party
was actually the safety officer, it near the end of the day and only 2 planes in the air as have been the case with my other mishaps.

a spotter is probably the best idea since it also makes the other pilots aware that they are being watched also.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:50 PM
Live Wire

Default breaking a jinx

Isn't it fun to chase each other all over the sky untill you meet, no jenx pilot air , you know the old saying! Only two planes , it's hard to hit each other even when you try maybe playing tag!