Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Xtra Easy Crashes

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Xtra Easy Crashes

Old 07-23-2003, 09:23 PM
STWeaver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xtra Easy Crashes

The first time I flew my H9 Xtra Easy trainer, I attempted to do so by myself (stupid!). I found a vacant parking lot that had a good size field next to it and throttled up. I just barely missed a curb at the end of the parking lot but got her airborn. I achieved about 20 feet before a gust of wind pitched her over. Being new, I fumbled with the controls while watching this plane that I'd wanted for 8 years plummet to the earth and come to an abrupt stop. In the end, I was very fortunate. One aileron was ripped off, carb was broke off of motor, prop broke, gear ripped off, and firewall broke. The rubberbands did exactly what they were supposed to do and saved my wings. In a week or so, I had her repaired and got an instructor. Total time of first flight was about 20 seconds!

Later, after I had become adjusted to flying, I was flying the Xtra Easy at our church (with permission and not when people were around of course). This can be descriped as a flying obstacle course (buildings, light poles, trees, bushes, curbs, etc). My runway was the parking lot and there was a field (about 4 acres) next to it. On one side of the field was a tall line of trees and on two other sides were power lines. The fourth side opened up to the parking lot. One day I was in the process of landing and was on base. I realized that I was on the verge of stalling so I throttle up and gave her a little up elevator. The good news is that I recovered from the stall. However, I realized too late that a powerline was right in my flight path. My front gear strut hit the wire, the motor; mount; firewall; and fuel tank broke free and kept on going. The plane came to a dead stop and fell straight down onto the road below. A pickup just happened to be coming at that moment and had to slow down and take evasive maneuvers in order to avoid hitting the plane. :stupid: I collected the pieces, rebuilt her, and had her airborne again in about a week.

That old Xtra Easy has taken a lot of abuse but has tought me a lot and held up surprisingly well.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:13 AM
SkyDude

Uh... sounds like you're flying in an area that's just way to dangerous for an RC plane...

Come on - dodging buildings/trees, running into a power line, and then almost hitting an occupied vehicle? You gotta be smarter than that...

There's must be a better place for you to fly. You're lucky you didn't hurt someone.

Check out the AMA website, get insurance, and find a sanctioned field.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:44 PM
STWeaver

I agree. I've since joined AMA/local club. Oh and that was before I even knew about RCUniverse to get the free advice.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:07 PM
SkyDude

Sweet. You'll find you have more fun at a dedicated field. More people there with the same interests and are always willing to help. Plus - you can see a bunch of other planes and pilots to get an idea of what type of flying you like and what you will want for your next plane.

Have fun!