Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Ultra Stick 1.20 Lite Compatibility with US 1.20

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Ultra Stick 1.20 Lite Compatibility with US 1.20

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 07:56 AM
triggerfish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Stick 1.20 Lite Compatibility with US 1.20

I recently destroyed the fuselage and rear appenage on my old Ultra Stick 1.20 in a crash. Obviously, there are no parts available for that plane any longer, however, I do see that Horizon Hobby will have the fuselage and tail feather set available for the Lite version in the coming weeks. I would like to patch this thing together and get it running again so does anyone know if the "Lite's" fuselage is compatible with the original version's fuse? I figured that if I could purchase a Lite fuse and rear tail feathers and then fit my original US 1.20 wing to the new contraption. I will call it "Frankenplane."

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:30 AM
Korps

Default RE: Ultra Stick 1.20 Lite Compatibility with US 1.20

Just wondering...I have no idea what you pay in the USA for planes etc, but would it work out that much more expensive to just buy the complete fuse and wing of the "Lite" version?
Old 07-14-2010, 07:51 AM
triggerfish

The fuse is $105 and the tail set is $50 US. The wing is another $130 so if the original wing fits it will certainly be cheaper than buying everything. I also went ahead and boxed up my Zenoah G-23 to send into Horizon Hobby for service (It took the brunt of the impact) so this might end up being an expensive proposition. Cheaper than buying everything new, however.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:15 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The chord of the USL wing is 14 1/4 inches.

Though the USL is discontinued, Korps is correct in that appears that one can buy the whole USL in parts for about the same as what the complete arf was. As the coverings are different for the wing you have and the fuselage for the USL, that might also be a consideration.

When I crashed my USL tearing up the wing badly, the wing kit was not offered forcing a major effort rebuild but it is flying again fine.

It seems there has been considerable demand for the USL after it was discontinued, perhaps because it makes an excellent platform for small gas engines that are gaining in popularity. It is good to see that it can be had by parting it together.

btw, if you do change fully to an USL, it will be 2.5 lbs lighter than the version you had. The G-23 will actually be slightly heavy for it. The USL balances perfectly with a 42 oz Zenoah G-20 and at that weight has unlimited vertical whereas it has been reported that with the heavier G-23 or G-26, it does not have unlimited vertical.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:19 AM
triggerfish

Thank you. I'll check my original US wing and see if the chord matches up. $130 is $130 and I rather not part with it if I have a intact wing that will fit. I'm not too worried about what it looks like. I already have plenty of good looking planes. It would be nice to see this plane back on the market, however, I agree. It is nice that you can at least part one together.

Thanks for the info, AA5BY.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:29 PM
triggerfish

Well, I measured my original US 1.20 wing and the chord, at the joint, is 14 1/8". I guess I'll be ordering that new wing after all.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:37 PM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like they are the same, why are you now saying you will need a new wing based on the measurements? When I measured, I simply went to the garage and placed a yardstick against the wing while it rested in its ceiling hanger and rough sighted the measurement. It could have been slightly less than 14 1/4. I can get an exact measurement to within 1/32 if you think it is needed.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:41 AM
triggerfish

Because when I measured it last night, in my mind, you had said 15.5", so WAY off. I thought about it this morning, on the drive into work, that I should have looked at your post before replying last night. I see now that I'm fine. Either way, I was just going to order the fuse and try it out. If the wing didn't fit, I was going to buy the new one. Crisis averted.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:30 AM
triggerfish

Does anyone have an Ultra Stick Lite 1.20 who could provide me some measurements of the vertical stab and rudder? I'd like to get mine airborne before 9/13 and the H9 replacement parts are on back-order until early October so a scratch-build looks to be my only choice. Any help would be appreciated.