RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Crash & Rebuild (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/)
-   -   Bad Day (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/10768687-bad-day.html)

hockeyrules99 10-16-2011 05:40 PM

Bad Day

Couple of club members.....don't know much about the plane other than I thought I should video it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tPAnrGr06Y

drube 10-16-2011 07:23 PM

RE: Bad Day

Bummer! Cool plane!

outdoorhunting 10-17-2011 09:08 AM

What the heck happened??? I'm guessing, but maybe the left fus had more weight in it & made her roll-over. Just a guess. The wind sounded kinda strong, but not THAT strong.

daveopam 10-17-2011 03:03 PM

Sounds like one engine was not pulling as hard as the other. What a shame.

david

outdoorhunting 10-18-2011 04:40 AM

Yeah, that was a real cool looking plane!!

splintermaker 10-18-2011 05:34 AM

I think that was a F-82 (?) twin Mustang. Looks like he lifted too soon and turned too early. Most warbirds need to be flown a little faster than sport planes do.

Oberst 10-18-2011 07:00 AM

ORIGINAL: daveopam

david

Yes and I suspect it was a tad tail heavy as well. Sorry for your loss. Is it repairable? It would be a great rebuild and modification thread for the winter. I'd also install retracts to even make the plane more awsome.

Pete

Mr Cox 10-18-2011 07:11 AM

What a shame, did someone yell "hold full up elevator" in the background?
Poor advice...

Oberst 10-18-2011 08:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Mr Cox

What a shame, did someone yell ''hold full up elevator'' in the background?
Poor advice...

Yes, but I'm not sure who they were talking to, could have been someone else other than the pilot of that plane. But your right- it was bad advice if that was the case.

Pete

K-Bob 10-19-2011 03:53 AM

It always helps when you're in a bad situation and some clown yells while you're trying to recover. I do like the guy right after that that says that at least now he has two P-51s.

JeffinTD 10-22-2011 12:03 AM

Too bad. The plane looked generally pretty unstable in flight.

Bill Diedrich 10-22-2011 02:55 AM

The plane looked to be in a stall from the moment it left the ground, the tail didn't
come up before it was lifting off. Tail sould have come up before up elevator was
applied and a gentle climb out before turning was attempted, that would have given
the pilot time to determine what trim changes would be needed while gaining altitude
and making them. Up elevator is only held on continuously during taxiing only, once
the plane is lined up for take-off no up elevator is needed until the tail comes off the
ground and the plane has reached enough speed so that the wing and stabalizer are
both in the "Flying Mode" otherwise you are inducing a stall, especially on a warbird.
A tough lesson to learn, hopefully the plane is repairable, one of my favorite twins is
the P or F-82 twin Mustang.

Bill D.

Villa 10-22-2011 06:34 AM

I wonder if the ailerons were reversed. That is the first thing I would look for.

thailazer 10-22-2011 04:18 PM

david
I've flown a lot of twins and I agree Dave. One engine running poorly and insufficient speed led to a stall-spin scenario. Getting more speed on the runway and a shallow departure straight out for a bit longer to build up more speed would have helped. Onward ever!

yamaharley 11-24-2011 06:33 PM

Could certainly have been quite a few issues, the obvious one we pick are "twin troubles" ... but could it have been a bit 'tail heavy' ?? ...would we ever know?</p>

daveopam 11-25-2011 04:39 PM

He was fighting the rudder so hard it was not only scrubbing airspeed, but pitching the nose every time. I could not see an obvious signs of tail heavy. Most tail heavy planes have little to no aile control. The ailes looked to be working fine till it stalled. IMHO

David

yamaharley 11-25-2011 04:50 PM

So if there's space to make a forced landing,is it normal practice for aircraft susceptible to asymmetric engine problems which is quite noticeable by this stage of its flight, to just cut throttle, nose down level wings and kiss the dirt on an even plane rather than continuing to tryfighting it to stay airborne when there's area to land? Just wondering, or was it just a call that he made at the time? I find this interesting.

yamaharley 11-25-2011 09:34 PM

Yeh, I wached the vid again.... Agreed!

ORIGINAL: Oberst

david

Yes and I suspect it was a tad tail heavy as well. Sorry for your loss. Is it repairable? It would be a great rebuild and modification thread for the winter. I'd also install retracts to even make the plane more awsome.

Pete

daveopam 11-27-2011 08:33 AM

If I were flying it and the rudder could not trim it out, I would cut power and stop climbing. Not chop the throttle, but reduce power until I could manage the yaw. The results could have been the same as the video. But the odds would have been better. With the engines at 1/3 throttle the pull from the good engine would not be as drastic. Plus as any glow guy knows the lean engine may have settle down. At least long enough to get it on the ground.
It's easy to arm chair quarterback this video. I mean no offense to whoever was on the sticks.

David

yamaharley 11-29-2011 12:29 PM

Agreed !

If I were flying it and the rudder could not trim it out, I would cut power and stop climbing. Not chop the throttle, but reduce power until I could manage the yaw. The results could have been the same as the video. But the odds would have been better. With the engines at 1/3 throttle the pull from the good engine would not be as drastic. Plus as any glow guy knows the lean engine may have settle down. At least long enough to get it on the ground.
It's easy to arm chair quarterback this video. I mean no offense to whoever was on the sticks.

David

AmishWarlord 12-02-2011 02:51 PM

Another peanut gallery induced crash.

"Up elevator" guy should pay half of the damages.

Yuvski 12-05-2011 05:30 AM

crashed :) </p>

</p>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaK1trKs2Vw</p>