RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Crash & Rebuild (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/)
-   -   Aeromaster resurrected (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/10791504-aeromaster-resurrected.html)

heggen 10-31-2011 07:36 PM

Aeromaster resurrected

1 Attachment(s)
A couple of years ago, a fellow club member was going to burn his crashed Aeromaster at the annual fall bash where a crashed models from the past year are fuel for a bonfire which is overseen by the "grim reeper". I was horrified. I called him and told him that he wasn't going to burn it; he was going to give it to me to rebuild. He complied and the Aeromaster lives again.
I had an Aeromaster 40 years ago and have wanted another one since but never got around to building from the kit I have squirreled away. When this wreck came my way, I saw half the work done but it was more work than I thought it would be. The fuse was destroyed to the trailing edge of the lower wing but big pieces did remain. The lower wing was repairable and the top wing had to be built all new. The landing gear was in good shape as were the fin and stab. The only change I made to the model was to make the rudder bigger for better appearance.
She is all set to go except for receiver, battery and balancing. She's powered with an OS46 AX and a 12-6 prop. With winter setting in, it will be a model ready for the next season.

JRgraham 10-31-2011 07:44 PM

RE: Aeromaster resurrected

Wow, that is beutiful!Very well done. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gif

RC MANIAC119 11-01-2011 07:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Very Nice re-build......BUT, wouldn't that 46 make it a tad underpowered?

I love the Aeromaster, but the kit is by design, and old school building technique a very heavy airframe. I have a Super Tiger 75 on mine, and it fly's fantastic!!

heggen 11-01-2011 09:00 AM

I agree that the 46 seems a little underpowered but the former owner of the airplane flew it OK with a less powerful 45. I flew my first Aeromaster with a ST 56. It flew fine but I suspect the power in that 45 year old ST is about the same or less than the new hot OS 46 AX. I am only expecting a simple, relaxing airplane. I have other airplanes to give me the vertical thrills. However, I am going to build the next Aeromaster from my kit and do the extended double swept wing and power it possibly with my Saito 90. That should perk things up a bit.
Good looking Aeromaster, by the way. I see the picture was taken 10 years ago. I hope she is still flying well for you and will give you many more years of service. When things go wrong, save the pieces and rebuild her. An Aeromaster is a terrible thing to waste!

RC MANIAC119 11-01-2011 11:12 AM

She is ABSOLUTELY still flying!
This is my hanger Queenie. Every year I charge everything, check everything and take her out for a few flights. She was built in 1996, and unless something unforeseen happens, I will own it until the day I die!!!

I just recently acquired a 3 piece fiberglass cowl...that will complete the look of the Worlds Greatest RC Biplane!!!:D:D:D

N1EDM 11-01-2011 04:48 PM

Hello Heggen,

If you can beg, borrow, or steal a 55AX, you might notice a major difference from the 46AX using the same 12x6 prop. I suspect that the 12x6 might be overwhelming the .46AX (great engine, I have one of each) or even try a 13x6 on the 55AX. I'm pretty sure that the bolt pattern is the same, but check me on that.

Just my $.02

Bob

heggen 11-01-2011 05:55 PM

I appreciate the good advice. Actually had considered a OS 55 but I looked at the price and borrowing sounds like a good option.
Actually a 12-6 prop is a recommended prop for the OS 46 AX but I could prop down in diameter or pitch if necessary.
If all fails with the 46, I have a RJL 61 that I could drop in with very little trouble. Some day I will have the new Aeromaster built that is still in the kit and it will be the super performer that I would really want with the big wings and big engine.
So many airplanes; so little time.

heggen 05-18-2012 07:07 PM

This is to say the the resurrected Aeromaster has had its maiden flight plus 10-11 more. It flys so well it could end up being my "go to" airplane. I am so happy I didn't let the previous owner burn the wreckage. The OS 46 and 12-6 Master Airscrew is a great combo. Plenty of pull for huge, graceful loops, big stall turns, etc. Landings are beautiful, stretched 3 pointers that draw praise.
Now, I am on to a rebuild of a Sig Somethin' Extra that someone stuffed into the trash barrel. It had one good wing and a fish-headed fuse. Tail was perfect. Also included 3 servos, two worked and one had broken gears. Just needs a buch of TLC and patience and it will be in the air soon. I will get some pictures and pass them on.
Somewhere on RCU some guy put it so aptly, something to the effect of - one guys wreckage is my ARF. And, at the fraction of the cost of a new one I might ad! I love the look of disbelief on the previous owner's face whe I show up at the field with the resurrected wreckage.
So many airplanes; so little time.

Ralph White 05-18-2012 08:44 PM

heggen, I also enjoy saving planes that others do not want. Here's the Aeromaster I bought at a swap shop, built but not covered and finished. As you know, it takes more work than building from scratch because of having to correct the previous owners mistakes and damage. I have an OS 90 FS in it. This one came out a little heavy but I still love to fly it. I've been flyng it for 3 summers now. By the way, the paint is Rust-o-luem spray can. I also have another Aeromaster that I found hanging in a hoppy shop. I didn't do anything to it except install engine (Supertiger 60 Bluehead) and radio. It was built around 1980 i believe. It actually flys better than the Red White and Blue one because it is lighter.

Here's pictures of both of them. For some reason RCU will not post the pictures. I'll try again later. Still not working.

Ralph White
Neoga, IL

heggen 06-13-2012 10:16 AM

Happy news. The Aeromaster whose remains came to me in a paper grocery bag won first place at our clubs building contest last night. It is pictured above in my first post. It too was painted with spray can Rustoleum Professional. It has worked well on a number of my airplanes.
Now as stated in an earlier post, it is on to the Somethin' Extra I found in the trash barrel at the field. The rebuild is down to the final sanding and covering. Pictures and maiden flight coming soon.
I agree with Ralph White that it might take longer in some cases to rebuild rather than build from scratch but the pleasure of building and bringing what was tossed as junk to be a useable, admired airplane is a great feeling and the cost in minimal.
Hang around the flying feild long enough and you will never run out of projects - rebuilding trash barrel kits!

Ralph White 06-13-2012 01:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll try again to post a couple pictures of my Aeromaster mentioned a couple posts agao.

Ralph White

heggen 06-13-2012 07:50 PM

Ralph - Thanks for posting the pictures. Really nice looking Yak and Aeromaster. I'm sure a lot of masking tape and paper was used to get that great color scheme. Been there with a 1/3 scale Pitts S2A with a very similar color scheme.
What did you use for covering? My Aeromaster is covered with white 21st Century fabric and then the colors are done with Rustoleum.
By the way, I like the gnarly pilot!

Ralph White 06-13-2012 08:32 PM

Heggen, Yes it took some time to do the color scheme on both planes. The Yak is an AeroWorks Yak 1.20 that my son, Nick, crashed when the wing tube broke doing fast rolls. Completely wiped the fuselage out to the T.E. of the wing. It is covered with Ultracoat. Even the lettering is Ultracoat. Took longer than painting. I have a build thread on it. I'll post the address to the thread later. I have to look it up.

The Aeromaster is covered with Worldtex. Same as Solartex. A very light coat of white Rust-o-leum. Then the trim was painted on. The lettering on this one was home made decals and sprayed over with clear Rust-o-leum. A mistake as the clear Rust-o-leum is not glow fuel proof. Luckley the exhaust only gets on the right side stab. I ordered the pilot from a guy in England.

Ralph

Here's the address to the Yak 54 rebuild. I never did post a video of it flying. Guess I had better get that done. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_83..._1/key_/tm.htm

Free Bird 06-14-2012 03:40 AM

Guys,

Very nice Aeromasters!! I too have one that I'm restoring, well a couple of years ago I was. ;) I really need to get back to it. It's stripped and ready for final sanding, the original builder changed the wingtips on the bottom wing, so those need to be removed and the original shaped tips need to be built and installed. I also picked up a "new" Aeromaster this past winter. It's about 15 years old and never flown. It's covered in silk and dope and has a new OPS .60 in it. Just need to install a radio system and do all of the usual pre-flight checks. Hopefully I'll get this done this year, got other projects in front of it that needs to be completed first.

Ralph, love that pilot figure!! Any contact info to get one?

FB