RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Crash & Rebuild (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/)
-   -   Lost My MUS in the Sun~~~Whoops! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/11088905-lost-my-mus-sun%7E%7E%7Ewhoops.html)

krashkart 05-21-2012 09:10 AM

Lost My MUS in the Sun~~~Whoops!

I was flying my MUS today and having quite a bit of fun early in the morning.
The sun was low and I did not keep track of it close enough.
As I crossed the sun I was low and lost track of my MUS at distance and totaled it.
But when I got to it I thought to myself at least the electronics and such were good.
I unplugged the battery and walked back to my Jeep with the parts in hand and supported in some cases by the wiring to the components.
As I got to the jeep the battery started smoking like a smoke grenade and I dropped the remains of the plane and backed away for safety.
As the battery smoked it managed to burn through the wiring to the ESC and fry the receiver too. Oh well.
And the Park 450 was destroyed by the impact as well.
Pretty bad crash overall and it was all my fault allowing the low attitude of the plane, distance to it and the sun to get in the way.
At least I did not get burned by the battery when it decided to short.

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/...z/IMG_1991.jpg

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/...z/IMG_1992.jpg

I don' t think I will bother rebuilding this one. It was fun and perhaps the larger 25 would be in order to replace it.

Sir_Sparksalot 05-21-2012 05:51 PM

RE: Lost My MUS in the Sun~~~Whoops!

Bummer! I have lost a couple to the shadows of the dusk. Not fun at all.
BTW. Do you have plans for the wing? If not would you be interested in sending it away if I sent the postage?
Eric

foodstick 05-21-2012 06:14 PM

When you said MUS, I thought you meant Mustang.. that was the only plane I have lost in the sun.. it was very early in my hobby, and it was a nice kit built plane... wow did I trash it.. I hope you can save you plane with a little work !

krashkart 05-21-2012 06:31 PM

I have already offered the wing and tail feathers for free to anyone that can pick them up.
I don't want to ship them.
I may just replace this one with the larger 25E version. I am sure thinking about it anyway.This one is just not worth repairing to me. I hear the larger version flies even better.
The motor, ESC and receiver all got burned when the battery went up so I would not recreate the same thing again.
I would rather put my retirement money into the larger version.

Sir_Sparksalot 05-22-2012 04:18 AM

Very good. Thanks for answering my request.
I hope the new build goes very well.
For your new build have you checked out Hobby King for motors and ESC's? I have found the Turnigy motors and ESC's to be really strong, and VERY reasonably priced. Their battery prices are great too. As long as the batteries are not over heated they last long and strong.

Villa 05-22-2012 05:59 AM

Hi krashkart
That fire you had after the crash points to a potential danger from our electric planes. The fire could have started in your Jeep on the way home from the field, or later in your house. I have some electric planes also. I remove the battery and always store it in an old barbecue grill that is never used, and is out doors.

Admiral052 05-22-2012 08:29 AM

I am just getting started in LIPO flight and these batteries scare me. I have heard of people storing them in brick bunkers in their garage. I keep mine in the charge bag but it seems these things can combust easily. Are they that bad? How do you guys transport them?

WaffleMan 05-24-2012 07:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Admiral052

Are they that bad? How do you guys transport them?
In military-issue amuniton cans with dollarstore foam padding on the inside.

acdii 05-25-2012 11:18 AM

Last Tuesday I had a few flights across a setting sun, but managed to regain the plane on the other side. That sure is a scary few moments when it happens. It just so happens that the sun is directly in the LOS for landing when the wind is out of the east.  I learned to fly either over the sun  or skim the ground under it depending on how high the sun is and bring the plane well past my left shoulder for landing. <div>
</div><div>Twice nearly wrecked the T-34 while flying it that day, one landing was a touch too short and hit the dirt 1 foot from the grass.  My Kadet landed on the numbers so to say, and landed square on  all wheels with a thunk.  Thought I had broken it again.   From now on I wait until the sun is just a few inches above the horizon before I attempt to land from that direction, that way I can land normally without losing it. </div>

mikeh251 06-01-2012 01:42 PM

Just my opinion, but there isn't very much damage to your plane. I have had crashes where I set the plane out of sight in the back of the basement thinking it was good for nothing but miscellaneous parts. When I looked at them a month later, they didn't seem so bad and I got the energy to spend a couple hours and rebuild them. There is alot of satisfaction in bringing a lost and lonely airplane back to life. Yours looks like one of those, to me. Hang a cheap little glow motor up front and you can join the conversion club, as well!!!!