RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Crash & Rebuild (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/)
-   -   No more ARF's for me (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/11248991-no-more-arfs-me.html)

804 10-23-2012 03:33 AM

RE: No more ARF's for me

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

ORIGINAL: 804
Lol.
I can't wait for the next installment of ''combatpigg diagnoses mankinds evils and ills''.
Maybe RC helicopters are an indicative of what the ritalin deprived ADHD kids have become?:):eek:
You've already demonstrated that you don't understand a word I've said so I can't expect you to address my points with an intelligent response worthy of any more comment than this.

Not that I don't understand what you are saying.
It's that I don't understand why you would say them.
Other than to whizz off other folks.
I've seen that pattern before.

804 10-23-2012 03:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: blhollo2

What, you think I'm lying?
Do you have anything worth posting?
Apparently not.
REALLY? lol....If you put this much effort into the hobby and building your own planes and you'd probably be a much happier person and stop whining.
I'm whining?
Can you even read?
The stickbuilders are whining about arfs.
Which are you?
An arfer or a whiner?
I'm not whining about a damn thing, but I'm Stickbuilder

Bill, Waco Brother#1

stickbuilder with a small "s".
A generic term.
I mean it in the most respectful way. Really.;)

combatpigg 10-23-2012 04:11 AM

Lol.
I can't wait for the next installment of ''combatpigg diagnoses mankinds evils and ills''.
Maybe RC helicopters are an indicative of what the ritalin deprived ADHD kids have become?:):eek:
You've already demonstrated that you don't understand a word I've said so I can't expect you to address my points with an intelligent response worthy of any more comment than this.

If what I see as the ugly truth "whizzs you off" then take a good look at yourself and ask yourself why.

The inference is that our society continues to grow lazier and lazier as the years go by and that the overwhelming popularity of ARFs is a direct reflection of that.
If this whizzes you off.....then that's too bad.
I think it is "spot on".

swify 10-23-2012 05:30 AM

I like to build planes as part of enjoying the hobby. I am currently working on a Goldberg Cub have a Saito 90 TS for it and plan to putGoldberg super floats on it, a Great Planes Extra 300 using an OS 91 surpass on it, a Goldberg Extra 300 have a an OS Surpass 120 III pumped engine for itand a Sig 4 star 120, the4 staris nearly complete just have to hook up the radio and get the engine installed, using an OS 120 surpass II pumped engine on it.

804 10-23-2012 05:34 AM

Lol.

If what I see as the ugly truth ''whizzs you off'' then take a good look at yourself and ask yourself why.

The inference is that our society continues to grow lazier and lazier as the years go by and that the overwhelming popularity of ARFs is a direct reflection of that.
If this whizzes you off.....then that's too bad.
I think it is ''spot on''.
What do you use as a measure of American laziness?
All the indicators are that Americans work more hours per week to get by than
most all "civilized" nations. Mothers work now where they didn't before. That in itself
helps explain the "happy meal" generation.
As an aside, there is a strong correlation between poverty and obesity.
No, not all poor people are fat, and not all fat people are poor.
But, I defy you to show me any correlation whatsoever to fat, poor people having anything to do with the rise of ARFSs.

My view is that the huge rise in popularity of ARFs is mainly due to two factors:

The fascination with aircraft that we and our forebears had is gone. Forever.
And why shouldn't it be. Our generation, and the one before it saw the explosion in aviation technology.
Since then, not much has happened. It is old hat. I think the decline in modeling parallels that change.
I see it as not good, not bad, it just is.
You stickbuilders are just building different variations on the same old theme.
If that's what you like, wonderful. But to expect the current generation to hold that same fascination is just holding on to your past, not their future. Get over it old farts. (I'm 55, btw)

Secondly, back in the early 80's, a company, (maybe Lanier?) came up with the idea of mass producing
partially completed models. It must have proved popular, even if they weren't up to your standards.
And, btw, you cannot possibly think that the appearance of ARFs suddenly brought in fat, lazy people to the hobby.
There had to be a lot of crossover, from guys that previously built kits to now try ARFs. Or maybe you do think that, wouldn't surprise me.
I don't know where the first ARFs were made,
but the availability of cheap overseas labor is probably the biggest reason ARFs have become so popular.

It is obvious that the flying of model aircraft, and not the building, is "the hobby" now.
You said earlier that ARFs have ruined your RC experience.
IMO, you are using an over-simplstic rationale in what you think is a benign attempt to explain what you hate.
And that is that the hobby has passed you by.

If that whizzes you off, maybe it is you who should take a good look and ask yourself why.

Jaybird 10-23-2012 05:36 AM

"Remove Subscription"

Jaybird

raptureboy 10-23-2012 05:46 AM

Haven't missed it at all. I think you missed my point, which is these threads on arfs vs kit/scratch built planes always digress into the same thing; bashing each other over something that has all the importance of dust, and trying to blame most of whats wrong in America and our culture on people being lazy. I would agree that we have a problem with poor health habits and children who aredisfunctional from the simple factthat their parentsare too consumed with themselves and their careers and their wants to pay attention to what the kids really need; their parents love and attention. It's not rocket science. Since the begining of time mankind has sought easier ways to make his life easier, thats human nature and will continue to always be that way. Work smarter not harder is the expression. I live in Amish country and I see people doing half as much in twice the time because they refuse to except modern technology. Am I being lazy, because I drive a car to get my groceries 10 mi away rather than a horse or bicycle? I've worked hard all my life and it is good to work hard, only in the sense of being dedicated to what your doing, and doing it well, but there is nothing wrong with finding an easier way to accomplish the same thing. I can remember when they used to say that technology would give us so much free time we wouldn't know what to do with ourselves, well so much for that. American workers take the least amount of vacation of any civilized nation in the worldand work the most hours at their jobs, but we are paying the price for that in health and the disinigration of our families; that I'll give to the Amish they know how important family is and spending time with their kids and showing, not just telling them what is important.

ORIGINAL: raptureboy
These threads over arfs vs kits always end up here, blaming all the problems in life on the infux of arfs. Very sad indeed.
Yor "take" on what some of us are saying is completely bass-ackwards.
I've been saying that the huge popularity of ARFS is indicative of what the "man of today" has become...not the cause.
Some folks here need to sharpen up their reading comprehension skills in order to fully [partially?] understand what has been put into print here.

Stickbuilder 10-23-2012 06:12 AM

Apparently not.
REALLY? lol....If you put this much effort into the hobby and building your own planes and you'd probably be a much happier person and stop whining.
I'm whining?
Can you even read?
Which are you?
An arfer or a whiner?

Bill, Waco Brother#1

stickbuilder with a small ''s''.
A generic term.
I smell fecal matter from the Male Bovine pen.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

hairy46 10-23-2012 06:40 AM

Guys there are two sides of a coin, and that what we are doing is talking about them. Mud slinging, really dont think its the way to go with it. Allot of has crossed paths at events and had a good time together.

804 10-23-2012 07:42 AM

Apparently not.
I'm whining?
Can you even read?
Which are you?
An arfer or a whiner?

Bill, Waco Brother#1

stickbuilder with a small ''s''.
A generic term.
I smell fecal matter from the Male Bovine pen.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
No, not at all.
I've been to Warbirds and the scale contest at Muncie a few times.
Seen Carl Bachuber's (sp?) work, Dennis Crooks, Greg Hahn, and others.
I definitely can appreciate and respect what you guys do.
I love to see them and watch them fly, I just have no desire to do it myself. Not now, anyway.

Stickbuilder 10-23-2012 09:50 AM

Why not? It keeps me off the streets. Builds and keeps your skill sets honed too. Never saw an ARF that I didn't like better after it was crashed.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

acdii 10-23-2012 10:10 AM

Wow I can't believe how this snowballed into what it is.  BTW bought an arf, it came with fur, four paws and a collar.  right now its a little arf, but some day it will be a big ARF.

Jaybird 10-23-2012 11:11 AM

Why not? It keeps me off the streets. Builds and keeps your skill sets honed too. Never saw an ARF that I didn't like better after it was crashed.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

I hope that doesn't apply to my WACO!!!!

Jaybird

Oops, I'm not supossed to be watching this thread anymore.....

combatpigg 10-23-2012 11:15 AM

What do you use as a measure of American laziness?
**Obesity percentages is a good place to start, empty playgrounds, lines of cars wrapped around fast food restaurants. Remote control TV, power windows in cars, automatic transmissions out number manuals..even in cars that are supposed to be built for maximum mileage. I could fill an Encyclopedia full of examples if I had the time to do that errand for you.

All the indicators are that Americans work more hours per week to get by than
most all ''civilized'' nations.
**Who says that the other civilized nations aren't made up with lazy people too..?

Mothers work now where they didn't before. That in itself
helps explain the ''happy meal'' generation.
**BS, there was a very brief window post WWII when wages were good enough for many families to do well with only DAD going off to work, otherwise women have always played a bigger role in helping to put food on the table.
As an aside, there is a strong correlation between poverty and obesity.
** So..?
No, not all poor people are fat, and not all fat people are poor.
But, I defy you to show me any correlation whatsoever to fat, poor people having anything to do with the rise of ARFSs.
**I never said that poor people have anything at all to do with the ARF Explosion.

My view is that the huge rise in popularity of ARFs is mainly due to two factors:
The fascination with aircraft that we and our forebears had is gone. Forever.
**The fascination has worn off with the general population, it used to be a big deal to see a model plane being flown. I recall a local newspaper that did an article about a guy who could build miniature planes that had gas engines and radio control.

Since then, not much has happened. It is old hat.
** If you want to think of 3D, pylon racing, Combat, Speed, as "old hat"...

I think the decline in modeling parallels that change.
**I think so too.

I see it as not good, not bad, it just is.
You stickbuilders are just building different variations on the same old theme.
If that's what you like, wonderful. But to expect the current generation to hold that same fascination is just holding on to your past, not their future. Get over it old farts. (I'm 55, btw)
**You keep referring to my need to "get over it". I really do miss the "old RC culture" at the field. It was always a treat to see a guy show up with something he had built from scratch or from a kit. It inspired me to see what I could come up with and as club members we fed off each other's energies and creativities. AMA Competition made the journey that much more of an adventure.
Today, I point out what I think are cultural changes in the USA that contributed heavily to the ARF Explosion and you some how take it as a personal attack and figure that I can't accept the changes noted. This is not so..no one is responsible for my happiness but me and what other RCers choose to fly has very little impact on me...other than kit selection has dropped off and magazines have turned into ARF catalogs and assembly guides.

Secondly, back in the early 80's, a company, (maybe Lanier?) came up with the idea of mass producing
partially completed models. It must have proved popular, even if they weren't up to your standards.
And, btw, you cannot possibly think that the appearance of ARFs suddenly brought in fat, lazy people to the hobby.
**The hobby has always had it's share of fat guys...especially compared with hobbies that require aerobic effort.

There had to be a lot of crossover, from guys that previously built kits to now try ARFs. Or maybe you do think that, wouldn't surprise me.
**Of course there has been some cross-over...so what's your point..?

I don't know where the first ARFs were made,
**The 1st might have been built in Africa..?

It is obvious that the flying of model aircraft, and not the building, is ''the hobby'' now.
**This is beneath comment.

You said earlier that ARFs have ruined your RC experience.
**Ruined..? :eek: Show me that.

IMO, you are using an over-simplstic rationale in what you think is a benign attempt to explain what you hate.
And that is that the hobby has passed you by.
**One visit to my house will show you that the hobby has not passed me by. I hate the money & time that I wasted on a handfull of ARFs..but to say that I HATE ARFs is pure Drama Queenery on your part.

If that whizzes you off, maybe it is you who should take a good look and ask yourself why.
**No, so far this "whiz-off" deal is your baby that you drug in here on your own....trying to build a Straw Man around it that doesn't exist.

Stickbuilder 10-23-2012 02:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Jaybird

Bill, Waco Brother #1

I hope that doesn't apply to my WACO!!!!

Jaybird

Oops, I'm not supossed to be watching this thread anymore.....
Naw Jay. We all have members of our families that do things that we wouldn't but we still Love them and support them. We are hopeful that someday you will build one too.:)

Bill, Waco Brother #1

804 10-23-2012 03:14 PM

Never saw an ARF that I didn't like better after it was crashed.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
I guess it is better than watching an old stickbuilder cry after crashing his Waco.

Stickbuilder 10-24-2012 01:49 AM

Bill, Waco Brother #1
I guess it is better than watching an old stickbuilder cry after crashing his Waco.
Some of us old stickbuilders fly better than that. When you bought into the lie that builders can't fly, you closed your eyes to reality. 804, when you compete at the higher levels of the hobby, you also have to sign a builder of the model form. You are judged on your scale fidelity on the static table, then you are judged on your flying of that model. In other words, you have to make it perform within the scale envelope, and make it believable. Sorry, but you lose on both counts.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

804 10-24-2012 03:29 AM

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Some of us old stickbuilders fly better than that. When you bought into the lie that builders can't fly, you closed your eyes to reality. 804, when you compete at the higher levels of the hobby, you also have to sign a builder of the model form. You are judged on your scale fidelity on the static table, then you are judged on your flying of that model. In other words, you have to make it perform within the scale envelope, and make it believable. Sorry, but you lose on both counts.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
See, Stick, even old dogs can learn.
Now you have agreed with my general point in this thread.
Don't paint with a broad brush.

And if you bothered to read all of my post about respecting what you guys do,
you'd know that I respect what you guys do.

FLYMAD 10-24-2012 11:36 PM

I have started a new thread under the ARF RTF section. It is similar to this thread but it is to (hopefully) discuss the merits of ARFs vs Kits, NOT to talk about non hobby related issues, http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11275202

FLYMAD 10-25-2012 12:04 AM

combatpiggs comments are not welcome.

combatpigg 10-25-2012 08:19 AM

ORIGINAL: FLYMAD

combatpiggs comments are not welcome.

It's such a fascinating subject too.....:(

Luchnia 10-25-2012 02:55 PM

ORIGINAL: FLYMAD

I have started a new thread under the ARF RTF section. It is similar to this thread but it is to (hopefully) discuss the merits of ARFs vs Kits, NOT to talk about non hobby related issues, http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11275202

I am glad you started another thread. Let me explain, I took a pair of plyers and started pulling my hair out in chunks and it was much less painful that this thread [X(] [X(]

acdii 10-25-2012 04:45 PM

It became an ARf wreck!

FLYMAD 10-31-2012 05:08 PM

acdii Don't you have a big composite ARF  you just bought?

acdii 10-31-2012 05:17 PM

I didn't buy it, it was given to me.