RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Crash & Rebuild (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/)
-   -   Extreme Flight Extra 300 50cc /Not rebuildable video (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/8620750-extreme-flight-extra-300-50cc-not-rebuildable-video.html)

nitro wing 03-26-2009 11:24 PM

Extreme Flight Extra 300 50cc /Not rebuildable video

1 Attachment(s)
This was on flight #2
Cause,possible water interference in electronics (suspect,unconfirmed) under investigation
History: 23 years performance aircraft,low crash ratio.
Build 65+ ,lost 10 + due to high risk or equipment failure.Some put in by pilot
This was wrong,Aircraft checked out.Gear tested in other airframe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h00mgg8QfCM

RC MANIAC119 03-27-2009 07:25 AM

RE: Extreme Flight Extra 300 50cc /Not rebuildable video

I feel your pain Bro.......[&o]

FlyerInOKC 03-27-2009 08:50 AM

Something you never get use to seeing, YUK!!!!

krayzc-RCU 03-27-2009 09:43 AM

those tarus engines sure do run oh so smooth

daveopam 03-27-2009 11:46 AM

That stinks! At least you did not dumb thumb it. You would have felt worse had it been your fault.

David

AA5BY 03-27-2009 01:21 PM

Look at the video very carefully. Check out the shadow just before he takes off. Unless my eyes are deceiving me, I see a collapsed antenna. Note also in the first flight that the pilot taxis out and around with the antenna collapsed but does of course put it out prior to takeoff. That is a bad habit and may have been the cause of this crash. I've seen several crashes due to collapsed antenna and they fly out just a short way as did this one before control is lost.

I add my sorrow for the loss...

krayzc-RCU 03-27-2009 02:16 PM

i crashed one time with the ant down as i was pulling it up the plane was going down. in the end i was not clint eastwood on the draw:)

sir crashallot 03-27-2009 02:22 PM

Look at the video very carefully. Check out the shadow just before he takes off. Unless my eyes are deceiving me, I see a collapsed antenna. Note also in the first flight that the pilot taxis out and around with the antenna collapsed but does of course put it out prior to takeoff. That is a bad habit and may have been the cause of this crash. I've seen several crashes due to collapsed antenna and they fly out just a short way as did this one before control is lost.

if your correct then a fail safe unit fitted would probably saved it and also give the pilot chance to pull up his antena to regain control, our club has a rule. anything over 75inch wingspan gets a fail safe fitted or it dosnt fly. for the sake of around $40 id do it.
shame to see such a beutiful model crash

daveopam 03-27-2009 03:08 PM

I can't say yes or no on the ANT being down with that resolution. I would be suprised though if it was out of range that quickly with the ANT down. Didn't look more than a 100' away or so.

David

krayzc-RCU 03-27-2009 04:14 PM

100' with a down ant is all it takes:D

AA5BY 03-27-2009 05:45 PM

The plane looked well over 100' off when he declared a problem. It is also a gasser and typically the receivers suffer a slight degradation of signal from the ignition. My gassers do not range test quite as far with a collapsed antenna as do my glow planes.

Here is a screen capture of the moment the shadow of the antenna seems to be possibly shown.

Again... sorry for the loss of such a beautiful plane that obviously meant a great deal to the owner who had a year of hopes invested in it.

http://pages.suddenlink.net/arlyn/airplanes/antenna.JPG

Live Wire 03-27-2009 06:02 PM

I would say moisture in the switch or battery failure. The plane stayed in the same attude that it took of in, just like it lost power to the RX. They say to range check at 100' with one section of your ant. up.

sir crashallot 03-27-2009 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
right i actualy think it was fully extended. theres a long line that could be the ariel and a short one but the sun was to the side of him so you would only get a shadow half the size it should be which would make the ariels shadow look very short.

RC MANIAC119 03-27-2009 07:33 PM

I think you guys are overlooking the obvious here............that first landing was very wet!! If you slow that video down..(at the landing,) you can see the tons of water that sprayed all over that bird.

My guess is..he got water inside the fuse from that landing! It would only take a few drops in the receiver to cause the interruption of signal.

:D

sir crashallot 03-27-2009 07:42 PM

well lesson learned, when models in the future are finished put your reciever in a condom. stops any water geting in:), i use to do that on rc cars and you should have seen the look when i used to take the cars through big puddles of water and so on:)

sir crashallot 03-27-2009 07:44 PM

secondly he said the radio checked out in another plane:D if water had got on that reciever with the power of the flight pack he would have had in that then it would most certainly short the reciever and wreck it there and then

AA5BY 03-27-2009 09:59 PM

At the crash site, he turns the radio on and says all is working. He seemed to have control up until shortly after initiating a turn downwind. Water in the switch could certainly temporarily short the battery supply and cook dry by the time he checked everything at the crash site.

Looking at the video over and over, the shadow is not convincing to me either way. The video was evidently edited (perhaps for expletives) and might possibly have offered conclusions about the antenna either way.

I agree with Sir... that if the receiver got wet enough to quit, it would probably have fried something and everything worked at the crash pile. If one really wanted to know if a switch getting wet would short out easily, that wouldn't be hard to test.

RC MANIAC119 03-27-2009 10:34 PM

Well...you guys can speculate all you want. The bottom line is he lost a very expensive airframe, and equiptment, and I'll bet he never fly's off a wet field again!!:D

SteveW 03-28-2009 06:17 AM

ORIGINAL: sir crashallot

secondly he said the radio checked out in another plane:D if water had got on that reciever with the power of the flight pack he would have had in that then it would most certainly short the reciever and wreck it there and then
I have to respectfully disagree. I have seen all kinds of wet electronics (radios, cell phones, etc.) that came back to life after a careful drying out. And don't ask how they got wet :D. Not saying that was the problem here but I don't think you can rule it out.

sir crashallot 03-28-2009 06:31 AM

ORIGINAL: SteveW

ORIGINAL: sir crashallot

I have to respectfully disagree. I have seen all kinds of wet electronics (radios, cell phones, etc.) that came back to life after a careful drying out. And don't ask how they got wet :D. Not saying that was the problem here but I don't think you can rule it out.

in a plane like that hes not going to have a $20 reciever more like $100 of recieverprobably more though im not quite used to the usd to pound conversion yet, the problem now is when the recievers are more powerful and more expensive they become even more sensative to bangs and damp. i used to mess about with rc cars and iv seen recievers glow bright red and melt with water and a high powered battery pack.
another thing we havent thought about is that with the vibrations of the engine it might have turend the switch off shortly after take off

overbored77 03-28-2009 07:07 PM

Nitro wing,
Sorry for the loss I have a 50cc almost done and an 85cc in a box, so I know what kind of time and $$ you had invested.
I am not going to speculate what caused your crash because I wasn't there. Please let us know what happened for future reference.

nitro wing 03-29-2009 12:42 AM

The antenna was up no doubt about it.While I was screaming I looked down and made sure the radio was actually on and antenna out.
I had the antenna down before the first flight because I was range checking during the Taxi,not a bad habit like someone said.
The receiver was far back in the intact section of the fuse,it was not wet or scraped.No water in the fuse either,but alot sprayed into the engine head and spark boot and ignition box.This may have caused
a field of huge radio interference.
The receiver did not loose power and neither did a switch fail. It has an optical kill which would have cut the engine completely in case of a receiver power loss.It just seemed to go out of range and held its position until impact.
I am replacing the Aircraft and engine with an identical unit.
My salvaged radio gear will be test flown in a back up "beater" plane first to make sure its 100% before going into the new Extra.

basman 03-29-2009 04:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
NItro wing: glad you have responded it is always good to hear from the horses mouth:D:D:D
I also lost one to what I think may have been a batt lose and disconnecting, total loss of radio: still power to engine no fail safe ( I fly 2.4 ) A typical roockie mistake one with a cost. Unlike you the DL50 survived and maybe some electrics. Ten flights on a rebuild 72" Extra 300xs brand new DL50. I feel your loss[&o][&o][&o][&o][&o]

Picked up a new home for the DL: 77" Edge 540 will start the rebuild soon :)

djp_9494 03-30-2009 04:22 PM

l hate to watch models going in dude bad luck

JoeAirPort 03-30-2009 09:19 PM

Nitro, we'll be waiting for you back at the club (EF Extra build thread). ;)