RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Crash & Rebuild (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/)
-   -   Hyperion J3 Cub 25e - Scaling it out...! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/8650071-hyperion-j3-cub-25e-scaling-out.html)

Friday_2006 04-05-2009 06:01 AM

Hyperion J3 Cub 25e - Scaling it out...!

Greetings to everybody.

7 months ago i decided to buy the Hyperion J3 Cub 25e, as my first balsa airplane. It is a plane that enjoy very much, and relaxes me, after all the tension my E-flite AT-6 Texan gives me.

As i advance to low wing birds, i had in mind to retire my cub and take out its electronics to use them in another model. But i gave it another thought and saw a chance to do my first try to some kind of rebuild.

My intentions are to scale out my cub as my skills permit. My inspiration came after seeing Hangar 9 Cub and all the detail it got. what i want to fix are the following

1. I want to replicate this paint scheme. Its not the same model as mine, but i think it would not be so hard for me to do it, as i haven't done any work like this before.
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untit...ext_id=1402983

2. I think i have a great difficulty on how am i going to do the cowl, as the one i have is painted yellow, and i can't find a clear one.

3. I want to replicate open doors like this photo (glued or moving with a servo)
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untit...ext_id=1069769

4. Easy part will be the tail wheel, which i think i ll use a robart or sullivan

5. I want your thoughts about main landing gear, as i want to be very close to scale. (I know Robart has some scale cub wheels, but they are too big for my model)

6. Rebuilt the wing struts, as the ones i had were balsa and flat. I think of using carbon rods on this one.

7. Adding those cables that are going from vertical fin to elevator surface, which i have no idea where i can find them

8. As for the cockpit, i ll study the inside of the fuse so as to built a cockpit box consisting of glued photos and a dummy pilot. E-flite Pawnee has a nice chair, which i think of using.

It seems to me like climbing Everest, but i will commit on this project. It is highly likely that this one will take me long, but at the end i hope to have a great looking plane.

I ll post some pictures of how the model is now, and every phase of the rebuilt.

I ll need all of your knowledge about building and market places. Hope i ll have you with me, all way long, for an outstanding outcome.

Wish me luck

Thanks for joining

Virg. 04-05-2009 10:34 PM

RE: Hyperion J3 Cub 25e - Scaling it out...!

[size=4]b]Friday 2006[/b], It's hard to comment on your Cub project without knowing what size the model is. Here are a couple of early thoughts:

1.) << Its not the same model as mine, but ......>>

The Cub in the 1st photo is somewhat different from the original J3, as the long "greenhouse" looks like a WWll version, and the trailing edge of the rudder is straight in large part; on the original (civilian) version, the trailing edge was curved, all the way, top to bottom. Do you plan to make these modifications?

2.) << I think i have a great difficulty on how am i going to do the cowl, as the one i have is painted yellow, ........ >>

I don't know what paint is already on your cowl, but for the most part, cowls can be repainted. Typically, you would sand the existing surface - very lightly - then repaint it in your choice of colors. If the result is not to your satisfaction, sand again and spray with a primer coat before proceding. Note that some paints must dry for DAYS before recoating! Practice on some other surface first.

3.) <<I want your thoughts about main landing gear, ...... >>

Here we need to know the size of your model. As scale wheels for Cubs are all fairly large, you'll probably need to work out something else.

4.) <<Adding those cables that are going from vertical fin to elevator surface, which i have no idea where i can find them >>

My suggestion is to go to a fabric shop - you know, where a modistra would get her supplies. (Katalavenis? ... Sorry but I can't hack the Greek alphabet!) Look for silver thread, with a noticable "twist" to it. Mine looks just like a metal cable. It's made in Germany. No luck? Try another shop in a large city.

Good luck, and let us know how this turns out.

Friday_2006 04-06-2009 06:13 AM

Hey Virg, i see you can speak some greek. Have you been here ?

My model is this : http://www.allerc.com/CUB25.htm It has a 55" span.

1. Actually i don't plan on making any modifications to any part of the plane, other than the opening doors and a cockpit kit which i ll try to build.

2. As i stated my cowl has a cub yellow paint. I have 2 ways in my mind to fix the cowl. Either paint it with the method you mentioned or covering it with monokote, if this can be done.

3. As for the landing wheels, i think i ll have to measure the bottom of the fuselage, and try to find something on the internet market

4. As for the cables i mentioned i think i found them on tower. Look here.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFV30&P=7

Trax540 04-06-2009 08:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The cowl isnt a big deal as he said just sand what you have and repaint.

The door is simple to recreate. I would not use a servo to operate as the real cub was not a mechanical door. Mine is hinged for window and door, with a latch on the wing for the window. You can get extremely creative here, Mine has a complete internal workings instead of just a hatch latch to hold it. The door handle is completley functional.

The landing gear would be tougher i dont think they make a prefabricated gear in your size. I bent and soldered music wire into the proper setup leaving a joint where you see my shock absorbers, joined by thick rubberbands and covered in the rubber boot. This incorporates functional absorbtion. That was as close as i could come to scale, without spending 100+ $ on a gear.
Dubro sells Cub wheels in a few sizes im not sure which size tire youll need. Main thing is that you get something to resemble a Balloon tire. You can always make your own Hubs
to match.
Struts are actually streamline not round i dont know if that matters to yourself on scale, but K&S sells streamline aluminum you can use to make struts. youll also need to fabricate brackets for your jury struts unless you permanently fasten them to the main strut. Mine are foldable into a flat transportable strut.

For the Flying wires i used braided nylon wire from any craft store painted aluminum, although you could purchase the sullivan flying wire setup. You mentioned from the Fin to the Stab. Also note those wires connect from the Stab to the Fuse on the underside.

You can have endless detail on the cockpit however. Il include a pic of mine.

Best of luck and hope to see pics of your progress, Hope any of my rambling helps.

Virg. 04-07-2009 12:24 AM

Friday_2006,

A word on your landing gear: Trexler pneumatic wheels are very Cub-like. Look for the sizes and price$ on Sig's web site: http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV4.html?E+Sig >Key Word Search >Trexler > Go Find.

These are co$tly, but have that authentic Cub look!

To see an illustration, go to the manufacturer's site: http://www.trexlerballoonwheel.com/ NOTE: They don't sell them themselves, just through distributors (Great Planes snd Sig).

One tiny comment: the retaining screws on the windshield can be painted quite readily - the heads only, of course. I don't know why so many modelers are content to have non-scale looking (stainless steel) screws!

Trax540,

Your wheels look great! are they Trexler's?

Did you make your gear legs scale length or stick with the Hyperion stock ones? Scale length gear legs REALLY give a scale look to this model!

Trax540 04-07-2009 07:18 AM

My wheels i believe are Dubro cub wheels.
That kit i built is a Sig 1/6 scale not Hyperion. Which i will say was a pain to build, but great building experience.
The gear is to scale the only mods i had to make were on the interior section crossbars and adding the shock absorbtion.

FlyerInOKC 04-07-2009 11:52 AM

On my SIG 1/5th scale Cub they use 2-56 rod and metal links to make the tail wires. You might download the manual from SIG's website to see how it is done.

Friday_2006 04-08-2009 03:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Trax540

The cowl isnt a big deal as he said just sand what you have and repaint.

The door is simple to recreate. I would not use a servo to operate as the real cub was not a mechanical door. Mine is hinged for window and door, with a latch on the wing for the window. You can get extremely creative here, Mine has a complete internal workings instead of just a hatch latch to hold it. The door handle is completley functional.

The landing gear would be tougher i dont think they make a prefabricated gear in your size. I bent and soldered music wire into the proper setup leaving a joint where you see my shock absorbers, joined by thick rubberbands and covered in the rubber boot. This incorporates functional absorbtion. That was as close as i could come to scale, without spending 100+ $ on a gear.
Dubro sells Cub wheels in a few sizes im not sure which size tire youll need. Main thing is that you get something to resemble a Balloon tire. You can always make your own Hubs
to match.
Struts are actually streamline not round i dont know if that matters to yourself on scale, but K&S sells streamline aluminum you can use to make struts. youll also need to fabricate brackets for your jury struts unless you permanently fasten them to the main strut. Mine are foldable into a flat transportable strut.

For the Flying wires i used braided nylon wire from any craft store painted aluminum, although you could purchase the sullivan flying wire setup. You mentioned from the Fin to the Stab. Also note those wires connect from the Stab to the Fuse on the underside.

You can have endless detail on the cockpit however. Il include a pic of mine.

Best of luck and hope to see pics of your progress, Hope any of my rambling helps.

Hmmm...!

I don't think any way i can compete this fine craftmanship.

This cockpit is out of my dreams...! ;-) Is it a kit or you made it by yourself ?

As for the landing gear i ll definitely need a smaller size. Searching on everyone's links i saw about those dubro wing struts that i may find in a size that suits me.

I hope i ll find some time to upload some photos on how the cub looks right now.

I know i have great people with great knowledge with me on this.

See ya guys

Friday_2006 04-16-2009 09:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So, today i took some pics of my cub at its present appearance, which i hope i ll change successfully in the following days. I ve already took off most of the covering, during which i came up with some questions.

1st : While trying to uncover the fuselage, a very thin layer of covering material remained stick on to the wood. It is so thin, that even with the X-Acto, i can't remove it, without harming the wood.

2nd : Should i take out the vertical and horizontal stabilizers ? and if yes, how can i remove the glue ? Also how do i unhinge the control surfaces ? Just cutting them out, opening new positions or by heat ?

Thanks guys