Notices
Digital Camera & Photo Editing Discuss digital cameras in this forum. Products, comparisons, usage, tips for getting your rc photos on the web. Software photo editing and touch up tips.

Re-editing--- from DVD to Hard Drive?

Old 01-18-2006, 01:15 PM
rbehrends

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-editing--- from DVD to Hard Drive?

I own a Dell computer. I've been making DVDs using Pinnacle with outstanding results. Now I would like to re -edit some of the DVDs I've done. How do get the DVD movie back into the Pinnacle program .?
I tried Roxie , Moviemaker with no results? Thanks!
Richard
Old 01-19-2006, 12:00 AM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Re-editing--- from DVD to Hard Drive?

As much as I hate to give you this one - (and I'm not trying to be rude about it ) from what I have been told from both PC & MAC users, When using the MAC OS X system, it seems that you have much greater flexability with what you are trying to do.

You MUST keep one thing in mind though, if you are trying to dupicate a DVD movie that has a commercial copyright on it, I am obligated to tell you that such an endeavour is not only unethical, it is ILLEGAL. Punishable up to a minimum of $250K Plus inprisonment.

On the other hand, if it is only a copy of your own artistic work. That is another matter.

Point of interest: A lot of my customers will bring a simple still photograph to me and ask me to enlarge it. If it is obvious to me that it is a studio portrait - I cannot do it!

Their arguement is, well, I don't see the "copyright" ( © ) mark on it.

It doesn't matter.

As of January 1, 1978 - the laws of copyright and publishing rights were separated.

In essence what the law read, was "the very moment a person (photographer) trips the shutter of his/her camera, that person automatically OWNS the COPYRIGHT! Meaning, that one does not have to physically right the "C" with an circle around it, to OWN that copyright."

That goes for an artists as well as cinematographers, too.

I certanly hope this I doesn't put a dampener on your efforts.

Getting back to your original question, --- I will look into the particular applications that will help you out and get back to you within a couple of days or so.

regards,

marwen
Old 01-19-2006, 08:16 AM
rbehrends

I appreciate your reply Marvin. Unfortunately my Dell is not a Mac, though years back I started off on a Mac because I was told it had more flexibility artistically.

Actually my objective , is to take my Hi 8 family movies from the past, and edit them onto DVD's. I understand that there is software( some quite expensive software) and cheaper ones like Dazzle, but the results are less than acceptable.
Pinnacle gives me a mirror image of what I filmed with my Sony TV900, 3chip semi pro model . The Hi 8 camera was a Canon A1 digital (movie camera) so the results were the best at the time.
I thought I would buy a DVD recorder, make DVDs then edit them using Pinnacle. I have Roxie and Moviemaker also. The DVD's i've been burning are DVD+R. Is that possible without buying new programs?

Thank you!
Richard
Old 01-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does Pinnacle have the capability to import movies from your DVD drive? If yes, then you certainly edit your movies and reburn them. Most modern video editing software can import DVD movies directy from the DVD drive or from your camcorder. I'm using an old version of Ulead VideoStudio, and it has that capability. Nowadays I transfer the movies from my Sony camcorder to my PC via a FireWire i-LINK cable and save them on the hard drive. Then I can use any video editing software to edit them and burn them.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:20 AM
rbehrends

I would assume that Pinnacle or Roxy or Moviemaker has that ability. I just haven't been able to find a way!
Thanks,
Richard
Old 01-19-2006, 01:34 PM
iacolb12

You should be able to do that wih Roxie Media Creator. Could your pinnacle system be protecting the disks you make?
Old 01-19-2006, 04:45 PM
marwen1

ROXY is a really limited application.

I appologize for being so brief today, apparently some "bug" got into my body last nite and everthing I do seems to be spinning .

I'll look into it futher, when I am able.

marwen
Old 01-30-2006, 01:28 PM
sfsjkid

ORIGINAL: rbehrends

Actually my objective , is to take my Hi 8 family movies from the past, and edit them onto DVD's. I understand that there is software( some quite expensive software) and cheaper ones like Dazzle, but the results are less than acceptable.
Pinnacle gives me a mirror image of what I filmed with my Sony TV900, 3chip semi pro model . The Hi 8 camera was a Canon A1 digital (movie camera) so the results were the best at the time.
I thought I would buy a DVD recorder, make DVDs then edit them using Pinnacle. I have Roxie and Moviemaker also. The DVD's i've been burning are DVD+R. Is that possible without buying new programs?

Thank you!
Richard
Richard,

I'm only familiar with Pinnacle Studio Plus v10, but under the file menu there is an import from DVD feature and you'll end up with a mpg file. However, if you still have the Canon 8mm, I'd try to somehow go (maybe thru your Sony camera) directly from tape to your computer for the best results. You can edit the AVI files then write them to DVD once your done. Your Pinnacle software should do it all.

Remember that in going to DVD you are compressing the video to MPEG2. Those MiniDVD disks are 1.4GB and hold 20 minutes of video at the fast speed. In going from MiniDV to AVI, ie tape to PC, a 5 minute piece will typically take up 1GB. So for the best quality, my preference is to go to DVD only for the final product.

So which version and flavor of Pinnacle do you have?

Good Luck!
Old 01-31-2006, 10:21 PM
marwen1

Don't forget fellas, when you go from a DVD that is locked to you HD and same as a MPG. That compressing to make it smaller is OK but just like in stills, when you decompress, you will be leaving little artifacts.. and again the more you elect to make the file smaller, that means that you compressed it more than if you had only compressed it to a larger file.

The more DEcompressing, the more artifacts that will appear.

marwen
Old 03-22-2006, 07:43 PM
airborne
My Feedback: (1)

Yes, you can get the movies back out with software like Cinematize:

http://www.miraizon.com/products/products.html

However, as Marwen pointed out, the movie has already been compressed to mpeg form. You will not have the same type and quality of files as you originally did. However, you could extract them, then re-edit as needed. I'm not sure the results would be to your liking.

Think of it as making a copy of a photo on a copier. Then take that copy and make a copy of it. For each copy you make, you lose more and more detail.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:06 AM
xilix

As far as I know, DVD Recorders don't encrypt while writing. You should be able to drag and drop the .VOB files directly onto your hard drive from the DVD, rename them to .MPEG (because that's all VOB's really are.. MPEG files), and edit from there. But like others said, you will lose some quality if you recompress it.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:36 PM
marwen1

You are correct, DVD recorders don't ENCRYPT. But, there sure is a lot of COPY- GUARD features on commercial movies.

Now then, different applications "capture" the video and audio signals differently.

One of my clients bought a MAC for the first time about two years. A devoted PCer!
When he saw that the editing sofware on his new MAC copied EVERYTHING completely differently than it did when he used the same application on his PC -- Boy, was he blown away!

marwen