Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

what kind? HD, mini DV, or dvd

looking to go to the NHRA drag races and want to get a new video camera under 500 bucks i seen all the new stuff, i want to buy one of these 3 types to record onto- Hard drive, mini DV, or DVD which would be best?
    jeff
    Savage .25 Stock
    Savage X 4.6 Stock

Want LED lights? Contact ME!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: what kind? HD, mini DV, or dvd

I can't say which is best. i use a mini-DV and it works fine, but I don't know anything about the other two, so I can't comment.

But I CAN tell you this:

Whichever you get, try out the camera before you buy it. What I mean by that is, hold it up to your face, push the buttons, try the zoom, etc.

What I am seeing a lot of is that they are starting to make some of these cameras so small that it is a real pain for some people to operate them. (I prefer the slightly larger ones myself)

Does the Eye Cup fit against your eye and block out other light, or do you just peer through a little hole? If you are going to be shooting outdoors a lot, you won't be able to see the image at all if the sun is blinding you.

By the same token, if the camera doesn't even HAVE an eyepiece (Some only have the big screen) don't get it - you can't see that big screen in sunlight!
    Mike B. AMA# 42400 www.gettingairborne.com
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #2 - Waco Brother #188 - Cub Brother #2

\"Those are my principles. If you don’t like them, I have others.\" - Groucho Marx

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks for the info, thats a good point to make sure it has the eye port.
    Savage .25 Stock
    Savage X 4.6 Stock

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My dad has one that he hates because the camera is so small that it hits his nose before his eye is even close to the viewfinder. And the viewfinder doesn't extend like some do.
    Mike B. AMA# 42400 www.gettingairborne.com
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #2 - Waco Brother #188 - Cub Brother #2

\"Those are my principles. If you don’t like them, I have others.\" - Groucho Marx

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use the Mini DVD and get superb results in near darkness, light movement etc. Would reccommend. However DVD is difficult to edit

Seef

Ultimately you need to determine how you are going to archive the footage. If you eventually want it to end up on a DVD, then don't bother with High Definition. Mini DV is cheap and todays Cameras do an outstanding job with the chip sets they use for color control. I frown on using DVD recordables personally. Too many mishaps can happen in the field. Dust, Dirt, Exposure to elements can corrupt the entire platter making all of your time and efforts wasted. If you did have to use a DVD, please do not use a RW disk. Only use -R's as they are the most universal and dependable. The nature of RW disks by design have too many flaws. Again, merely my personal experience and knowledge. As far as the choice of camcorder to use...shop around for something you like. You need to have the proper feeling camcorder for your hands. Too small of a camcorder creates alot of unnecessary shake. Too large and you may end up wearing out your arm by the time the day is done. Manual focus definately. When filming moving objects you will find that camcorders hunt for their subjects. You need to have manual focus for that reason. The annoyance factor of blurry to clear to blurry to clear will give you a headache after a while. View finder should most definately be black and white if possible. Easier to focus on a gray scale set-up then color.

That's just a few pointers that I can think of. I have plenty more if you still need a direction to go.

Scott Hagan

Touching on the Hard Drive set-up... Video compression is always a bad thing. Should you use a Hard Drive keep in mind that if it is an internal drive you will have to allocate time to dump the information to a laptop or home computer somewhere. If you are using external removable cards, then not only do you have to dump them, but to get any decent video you have to run the recorder to your least compressed setting. Preferrably uncompressed. Keep alot of cards handy becasue decent video (in my opinion) eats up alot of bits and bytes.

What are you playing your video back on?

If it is just for web based clips, then run compressed and cheap cameras. More then adequate.
    If you are playing it back on a 1080p monitor ...well then I would go a bit more expensive.

Remember...1080i monitors only have 540 lines of resolution. That's just a hundred more lines then VHS. Big marketing terminology for uninformed consumers...

...but that's a different story

Good luck with your search

Scott Hagan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well i have an old Sony hi 8 that see,s in the dark but went and bought a JVC mini DV ,but cord that came with it is only for dumping stills into computer, the camera has a fire wire port on it but my two computers do not. So what do i need to put it on computer,Im getting tired of loading dv to stand alone dvd and burning it to disk before i can put it into computer.Would like to put it to file directly on comp.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ok thanks, i will be mostly recording RC racing and bashing, drag races, any type of races or helicopter flying or plane flights.
    jeff
    1 problem, where can i find a vista compatible camera? i cant find any on the best buy site.
    Savage .25 Stock
    Savage X 4.6 Stock

When working with SONY Hi8 you probably only have RCA jacks (composite) mounted on the side of the camera. The easiest way to capture that video from the camera to the computer would be to install a cheap capture card that has those inputs. Push play on the camera and record on the computer. These days I would imagine you can find one relatively cheap. It's not like you will need one that records 1080p Dolby 15-1 sound. You just need a very basic standard definition video capture card. It would not surprise me if Staples carried boxes of those in stock.

As far as the JVC camera goes....if memory serves...I believe that they make a firewire/USB converter plug that will allow you to just put the adapter on the end of the firewire (You probably have a 4-pin firewire). I will have to research that...but ultimately your standard Windows Media Player or other popular capture programs built in to windows can capture right off of a USB input.

Otherwise, invest in a capture card for your home computer that has Analog and Digital inputs that will benefit both of your camera outputs. Most computer junkies probably have stacks of those cards laying unused in boxes. That's the great thing about those guys...always wanting the best for their computer...leaving 2 month old "outdated" cards sitting on their coffee table. That works the same with especially video cards and years back...modems.

When capturing...always give your tape atleast a 5 second run before recording. That'll give the tape head and tape speed time to lock on without distortion or dropouts.

Scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

cool

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think all of them have their merits and defects, just choose one that is suitable for yourself.
    I have my JVC GR-D796US Mini DV Camcorder. This sleek camcorder boasts an incredible 34x optical zoom, making even the farthest of targets seem up close. It also allows you to capture still images while recording video. The pictures can be captured in 640 x 480 resolution and saved onto memory cards via the SD/MMC card slot. I think it's very suitable for me, and I got it at a deal price of $270, I think I paid what I got. Here is the deal I used, maybe you can try
    http://www.dealstudio.com/searchdeals.php?deal_id=62414

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have the same camera as you,I gave 249.95 at Best Buy here and after an extra battery and sd card I spent 325 all told.But it only came with usb cord.But buying firewire cable and adapter so i can download video to comp. Right know it only lets me download stills.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

kl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hello there!

I am Katrine Bonn from California.

i think its mini DV is the best..
    http://www.buymeatoy.com/battery-operated-kids-Ride-On-Cars-Ride-On-Car-Riding-Toys-s/519.htm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I bought a Mini DV Model MD80. Does anyone know if the disc is eraseable? No manual. Also, what is the reset button for?