Community
Search
Notices
Digital Camera & Photo Editing Discuss digital cameras in this forum. Products, comparisons, usage, tips for getting your rc photos on the web. Software photo editing and touch up tips.

Heads up for Canon S1 IS owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heads up for Canon S1 IS owners

I just saw this site and though I would share something with you. My daughter is a digital camera nut. She bought a Canon 30D last year and then replaced the Canon S1 IS with another camera that would take movies of our grand daughter. She gave me the S1IS to replace my old Sony Mavica 91FD. Big difference in the two. I was a really happy camper for about a week, just long enough to buy a bunch of add on stuff for it. Then the camera went south. Every thing had a purple hue. Really bad.

I was looking on the Canon site to get a hint of what I may have done and I noticed a topic saying that there was a problem with some cameras involving the sensor and the S1 was one of them. The explanation kind of fit what I was seeing. They stated that they would repair the even if they were out of warranty. This notice was about three years old, but still on the site. I gave them a call and the tech walked me through a reset and the told me it sounded as if it would be covered in that notice. They sent me a shipping lable with free shipping to ship it in. About four days later, I got a note that they had received the camera and at first inspection it looked like it fell into the catagory that was covered. A couple days later I got the same letter by snail mail.

Five days later a package showed up. Quit a bit bigger than the one I sent. When I oppened it, there was letter saying that they no longer had parts for the S1 IS so please accept the refurbished S5 IS as a replacement. What customer service.

If your S1 IS is giveing some strange photos, you may want to look at the Canon site under support to see if yours may be covered. There were some other models also covered, so any of your Canon cameras around three or so years old may be affected.

Good luck

Don