Digital Video (DV) & Video Editing Software Discuss the use of digital video which we use to show our rc stuff off on the web. Talk about products, editing software, tips, ratings, rendering to the web, etc

Seeking advice on filming with GoPro Hero HD & RC Trucks and Boats

Old 09-14-2010, 12:26 PM
raglan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Seeking advice on filming with GoPro Hero HD & RC Trucks and Boats

Hi,

I'm going to Alaska in a few weeks to film a fly-fishing documentary. We are going with a bunch of GoPro Hero HD cameras and want to hook some of them up to RC trucks and boats to get close up shots of bears and other things. Let it be known I have never been deep into RC car racing beyond casual ownership 15 years ago.
How can I get the smoothest possible ride out of an offroad truck? I watched a bunch of videos filmed from the Traxxas line of electric trucks and the offroad stuff is extremely bumpy. I understand these are small vehicles sensitive to the terrain. What vehicles, customizations, accessories, etc. would provide the smoothest ride? We don't need speed, just looking to be able to film smoothly while moving slowly over rough terrain.
Essentially the same question with regards to RC boats. We are looking at catamaran boats, anyone with experience in this have advice?
Thanks!
Chris
Old 05-02-2011, 03:19 AM
magnusvr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Seeking advice on filming with GoPro Hero HD & RC Trucks and Boats

Hi!

Ihave two suggestions:

1. Igot a anti vibration camera mount off Ebay for my Tricopter. It seems to be doing a decent job removing micro vibrations. Search Ebay for "anti vibration camera mount", it's the product from Israel. About $25.
2. To remove the larger vibrations Ican recommend using free software that does a really good Job. All of the below will be easily found using Google.

A. Mp4Cam2Avi is a free util that just rewrites the video from a Go Pro Hero HD in a format that VirtualDub can read.
B. DeShaker, a plugin for Virtualdub. Just download the file and put it in the /plugins folder of:
C. Virtual Dub.

Check youtube for a guide on how to work the Deshaker in VirtualDub, it's quite simple once youv'e seen it. If your using a Pro Hero HD, you should enter 82% as rolling shutter value.

KR
Magnus, Sweden

Search this Thread